Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
silaypalmer13

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Mods Please Read! Regarding Paint Topic...

Yaris World Mods and Members,
First off, I'm not here to piss and moan about having cheap paint, as I still love my 2 month old Yaris for the many other positives. I recently called my local service manager where I purchased the car, just to express some concern about the paint, as in 2 months, this car looks worse than the 02 lancer I have. Without even saying much, he invited me to drive the car in so he could take a look, and also invited me back next month when the regional service manager would be comming for a check up. He seemed extremely helpful and curious about the situation, as I'm an auto parts business owner, and take meticulous care of all my cars. Not only is the paint scratched and scuffed, but the windows are also scratched!

Now, he advised me to find more info and others having the same issue with this and bring in some paper work to document that. What I would like to do is start a thread of others with the same issue, where they can chime in and explain there situation. Theres no need for other comments and discussion, just strictly others situations written out for regional manager to look over. If that would be ok with the mods, I would start the thread immediately, and in a few weeks when I go in print it out to bring it with.

I guess this is not an attempt to get free-bees or anything else, more to just make them aware for future owners, and possibly even designing of future models. After all, When you figure in finance charges, tax, etc... for this 09 Yaris, I will have close to 19k when its all said and done. Thanks for your time and consideration,

Andy
09 Yaris Sedan
silaypalmer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I have '09 Hatch.
I have:
Many paint chips on the hood.
One paint chip on passenger side front door.
One paint chip on driver side front door.
2 scratches (chips) on the windshield.

My car has only less than 5k miles.
It has more chips than 50k miles '03 Corolla I had, while I drive the same place same way...
I don't know how the door's paint get chipped.
The paint chips easier than the door gets dented?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
If you do a thread search you will find this topic has been beat to death. Do the search and you'll have all the ammo you need for the service rep. And good luck.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
silaypalmer13

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
The problem is then I have to piece together every single post, most of which are people pissing and moaning and wondering what they can do. If you look at the second post, I think he gets the idea. Upset people whining like babies will get nowhere.
silaypalmer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
About 20 chips on hood that has taken paint off past clearcoat
Clear coat peeling on two doors for no apparant reason(not bird poop etc)

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Great job , but the problem exsist's from the very first 06 yaris ,
i have a 08 , and the paint work is absolutly shocking , but as it has
a five year rust/corrosion warranty i have not brouched this fully with my
local toyota agent yet , but they are more than awhare of the problem.
But are not willing to do anything about it .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
When I had my car for not even Months, The paint dulled out on my Blazin blue yaris. That's when I gave up and stopped washing my car for the past 2 years.

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
I had my Absolutely Red 07 for 2 years - 35,000 miles - in a very salt atmosphere (island in the bay) that sees snow (therefor salt and grit on the roads in the winter) and sand all summer from the shore.
My paint was frikkin beautiful when it was smashed. I don't know if I am alone in this, but I put it through a car wash every couple of weeks, and did not do ANY hand-waxing or anything.
Just my 2-cents.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
MrFrost
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris - Flint Mica
I have mucho light scratches through the door handles mostly. I give them a good coat of Magiures for scratches. Really works, too. Unfortunately, doesn't last more than a couple weeks then back to the scratches.
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
I have an 09 sedan that I purchased in December. Just turned over 10k miles when I pulled into the driveway this evening. The front lip of the hood has so many chips, it looks like I shot a bucket of gravel out of a cannon. I have four chips in the windshield, none of which have cracked or spread, but it's enough to make me wonder. Out of the seven cars my husband and I have owned in our lives, I have never had this problem with any of them but the Yaris.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Many paint chips. Windows seem OK.
Crappy paint is a common problem with the Yaris, look at Consumers Report DB.

By the way, 56K miles, 2007 LB, Absolutely Red (and otherwise fabulous).

Last edited by tomato; 05-09-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: additional info
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Stop following so damn close to other cars.

I had my 07 for 2 years. over 30,000km and I had maybe half a dozen tiny little stone chips in the paint. Most were easily touched up with a dupli-color paint pen.

I used to travel gravel roads into some gnarly camping/fishing spots, winter driven in snow storms and salt/hail etc.

All of my cars/trucks looked like new even when ten years old, I would wash them once a week (Sat or Sunday morning) and wash, claybar, polish, seal wax every couple months...

i'm on my second Yaris and no issues with the paint.
I rust check 2 times a year with a can of Amsoil MPHD and have never had a rust issure either
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
Are you telling me that the builders of this car do not know about the cheap paint issue?
How can you buy that story?
Think about it... Seriously...
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soner View Post
Are you telling me that the builders of this car do not know about the cheap paint issue?
How can you buy that story?
Think about it... Seriously...
In all honesty paint shown and paint bought by the manufacturer are not necessary the paint the manufacturer paid for, china loves to substitute the products they offer for cheaper ones.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
anybody have pics of these paint chips?
haven't had any of these, but i do have quite a few scratches on my front bumper but nothing on the hood
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The paint is so thin that it is easily marked. Of all the cars I've had this is the thinnest coat of paint.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The paint is very thin water-based "enviro" paint. Cheaps much more easily than a good old enamel. The proof is in the pudding. My driver's side fender was repainted in the body shop with enamel just a few months after the car was purchased (they hadn't opened up their new body shop portion with a water-based setup yet). Enamel: looks brand frikken new. Passenger side, factory paint: chips and scrapes like I started up a sandblaster on it, but changed my mind right before the job began.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
Stop following so damn close to other cars.

I had my 07 for 2 years. over 30,000km and I had maybe half a dozen tiny little stone chips in the paint. Most were easily touched up with a dupli-color paint pen.

I used to travel gravel roads into some gnarly camping/fishing spots, winter driven in snow storms and salt/hail etc.

All of my cars/trucks looked like new even when ten years old, I would wash them once a week (Sat or Sunday morning) and wash, claybar, polish, seal wax every couple months...

i'm on my second Yaris and no issues with the paint.
I rust check 2 times a year with a can of Amsoil MPHD and have never had a rust issure either
I agree....don't follow traffic closely and reduce your speeds if you are worried about chips. Using a quality sealant is key and giving the car a thorough clay bar treatment yearly is necessary. Otherwise, please realize that this is a Toyota Yaris and costs a mere $14K. It is not like you are buying a MB or BMW. You are paying for a thin, weak paint job.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote