Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
@41magmag41: Did you have your seatbelt on? Maybe it needs to be on for the airbags to work...

Also, what @dvlnblkdrs said.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Nanook

Drives: 2011 3dr hatch
Sounds like someone needs or needed "traction control". Sorry just got done reading others thoughts on traction control.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Sounds like someone needs or needed "traction control". Sorry just got done reading others thoughts on traction control.
From what the OP described that would not be the case. TC only works with engine acceleration. That didnt appear to be the case.

Things like ABS, TC and the ilk need to be exposed for the frauds that they are. There are German studies showing INCREASED accidents with ABS because drivers think they are "safe" and drive more agressively.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
http://youtu.be/8XzgwmMqHtg

Yeah they hurt
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
For all you monday morning quarterbacks about the lack of deployment of my airbags. One, I was wearing a seatbelt. Two at the point of frontal impact i happen to glance down and saw that my speedometer was reading approximately 46 mph and verified by my scan gauge. Three, the entire front end was pushed back into the the engine itself and the engine itself had been moved towards the firewall. THE DAMN AIRBAGS SHOULD HAVE GONE OFF. the entire front of the car had been shortened by almost 22 inches. This is another failure of Toyota in quality control and responsibility just like the failure to issue a recall on the rear ABS sensors that corroded and failed on the yaris.

Though I have enjoyed this forum I'm glad that I found out about toyotas failures with the yaris and can talk about it instead of my family going through a long legal battle to bring toyota to some justice. I'm glad I'm back into a SUV with some more protective steel around me. I just wonder what other failures will pop up with the yaris or has already popped up and toyota has buried them.

Good luck to all and hope you dont get on the losing end of one of these failures of the yaris and toyota.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
haha i love the "SUV" arguement.. people really think it protects them more... wtg lame ass american thinking....

you could request toyota investigate or hire your own investigator.. but that is your choice. if u didnt have the accident in the first place, you wouldnt be on this rant, but hey.. thats just me

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
The SUV argument is selfish. It's understandable people want to be "safer" but then when everybody gets an SUV, you're all in the same boat again. if everybody drove lighter/smaller cars there'd be guaranteed a reduced rate of fatality. But because one person goes and wants to be "extra" safe, it ruins it for everybody else. My brother-in-law has this mentality as well, and it infuriates me. He's all about the heavier, older buicks because he was rear ended once and he felt nothing. Great. What about the next time THAT car hits somebody?

/rant

EDIT: Back on topic of airbags. If you hit something that was DIRECTLY center of the car and affected only the center, and caused the engine to be pushed back, the airbags may not have been deployed. Why? The sensors are on the frame rails to EITHER SIDE of the engine.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
41magmag41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
haha i love the "SUV" arguement.. people really think it protects them more... wtg lame ass american thinking....

you could request toyota investigate or hire your own investigator.. but that is your choice. if u didnt have the accident in the first place, you wouldnt be on this rant, but hey.. thats just me

First of all I like your linear way of thinking, inside the box. You've missed the point entirely in that the front of the car literaly caved in to almost the fire wall. The air bags should have deployed. The accident was just that an accident. When you hit black ice like I did you become just a passenger along for the ride.

As far as an investigator is concern, again you missed the point. Toyota should have stepped up to the plate and offered to tear the car apart to find out the failure but they didn't.

Hence me leaving the forum. Narrowed minded and biased individuals who can only belittle and call names. Hope you never have a chance to find out that your air bags don't deploy when they should.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
41magmag41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
The SUV argument is selfish. It's understandable people want to be "safer" but then when everybody gets an SUV, you're all in the same boat again. if everybody drove lighter/smaller cars there'd be guaranteed a reduced rate of fatality. But because one person goes and wants to be "extra" safe, it ruins it for everybody else. My brother-in-law has this mentality as well, and it infuriates me. He's all about the heavier, older buicks because he was rear ended once and he felt nothing. Great. What about the next time THAT car hits somebody?

/rant

EDIT: Back on topic of airbags. If you hit something that was DIRECTLY center of the car and affected only the center, and caused the engine to be pushed back, the airbags may not have been deployed. Why? The sensors are on the frame rails to EITHER SIDE of the engine.

Again, monday morning quarterback. The entire nose of the car along with the frame rails was pushed back almost to the firewall. The airbags should have deployed.

And as far as the SUV comment, the last time I looked I still lived in a society that allowed me to drive whatever I felt like. Some more name calling and missing the point of the post.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
First of all I like your linear way of thinking, inside the box. You've missed the point entirely in that the front of the car literaly caved in to almost the fire wall. The air bags should have deployed. The accident was just that an accident. When you hit black ice like I did you become just a passenger along for the ride.

As far as an investigator is concern, again you missed the point. Toyota should have stepped up to the plate and offered to tear the car apart to find out the failure but they didn't.

Hence me leaving the forum. Narrowed minded and biased individuals who can only belittle and call names. Hope you never have a chance to find out that your air bags don't deploy when they should.
I'd rather airbags be illegal. just like all electronic nannies. You seem to think all electronics are perfect and never ever fail. You couldn't be more wrong.

Stop acting like a 3 year old and blaming toyota. You mentioned black ice, maybe you were going far too fast for the situation. If you were the only one involved in the accident, the only place you need to look at is yourself.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Your argument would be a lot stronger if you included pictures of your car and the damage from the crash.

As for the SUV argument, it's no safer as there are way too many other factors involved that would support the mere fact of being slightly larger/heavier than other vehicles is any kind of advantage. Numerous government studies have shown that the quality of vehicle design was a better predictor of safety than vehicle weight. Do your own research and you'll realize how wrong the assumption that an SUV=greater safety really is.

As for airbags, it's the same as with seatbelts; they aren't perfect but it has been proven over and over again that they save a lot more lives than without them. Whether yours worked or not can only be determined by a professional investigation, I for one don't accept your conclusion that the lack of deployment was due to a failure but instead due to other reasons.

But the bottom line is that you survived with minor injuries. Having been through several serious accidents myself (two of which investigators were surprised that I survived, and without any major injuries), I know how lucky I am to have walked away. Be grateful, as not everyone does so...

Cheers! M2
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:

Do you seriously think Toyota has time and ability to voluntarily investigate, free-of-cost and time to you, every single accident that looks peculiar? If your airbags didn't pop and the whole front of the car is as caved as you say it is, then you should just be thankful you got out with minor injuries. If you want to move on to an SUV, that's your choice, but don't bring your garbage excuses to a forum dedicated to a small sub-compact and expect to not have backlash.

If you still want to pursue an investigation, then it's on you to contact Toyota. It's not Toyota's job to know that you've crashed your car.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Here is a shot of my '07 Tacoma after I hit black ice. It flipped and rolled it into a rock cut bank.

The air bag did not deploy and I walked away with belt bruises.

I had a recall notice for the gas pedal in a desk drawer at home. If I was a less than honest person, I probably could have brought a law suit, claiming my pedal got stuck at full throttle on a slick road. Or I could have made a stink about the air bag not deploying. Not my style. I had misjudged the road surface conditions.

I was just glad my seat/shoulder belt worked I was uninjured.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #33
41magmag41

Once again, my point is that this forum is riddled with name calling, small minded air heads. enjoy.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
air bags now a days are so smart. the technology behind them and the design is so complex. the system has so many fail safes so they dont go off when not needed.

as soon as your car spun towards the wall and took aim and made contact the SRS system calculated everything and took the decision that you'll be fine, and look here you are today. the airbag may have injured you more then the accident itself

airbags are sometimes more dangerous then the accident itself, so really your arguement is "they should have gone off" but you walked away fine, you could not have exited the car in better condition then u got into it....

you argue that this fourm is full of
Quote:
name calling, small minded air heads
but in reality u post about something a few members happen to know more about and your not happy that we havent gone to create a "occupy" movement infront of toyota HQ
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #35
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Once again, my point is that this forum is riddled with name calling, small minded air heads. enjoy.
Really? You've had an insurance investigator explain to you why your airbag may not have gone off, and it was a logical explanation.

You've also had several other people detail why it may not have malfunctioned and worked as it was suppose to.

But now it appears you are the one that can't accept that you might be wrong and that the airbag functioned as it was suppose to.

So instead of accusing people of being small minded, maybe you ought to consider that it is you who is failing to even accept alternative explanations for your accusation.

Sorry if that's not the response you want to hear, but the truth is that you are most likely wrong and that the safety features of your car worked as they should.

Now let's see how mature and open-minded you are to that proposition!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
^ very well said above.

With all due respect, OP, it really appears that you are the narrow-minded person here. This forum has been very helpful to many people. Just because people did not respond the way you wanted to and have clearly explained why your airbag did not deploy, you should man up and consider that your original thought/opinion may be wrong.

The car did what it was supposed to, keep you alive. You should be grateful for that, especially since you came out with minor injuries. What would you rather have, airbags didn't deploy and you came out with minor injuries, or airbags deployed and you possibly having spinal injuries or any other major injuries due to it.
Closed Thread