Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Do the speakers in the doors ever get wet?

I'm going to replace my OEM door speakers. I was noticing on Crutchfield that they sell these foam speaker baffles to protect speakers from the elements. But, people complain that the baffles kill the bass.

I don't believe I'll get the foam baffles, but depending on the likelihood that the speakers could get wet, I'm thinking it might be good to come up with something to try to shield them from moisture.

Anyone ever approached this issue?

Thanks!
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I have never had an issue with mine getting wet. There are drain holes at the bottom of the doors, but unless you have a serious issue, water should never go in those. Only out.

My inside of my door is really clean and dry, and I have a 2007 with about 135k miles on it.

I put Polk DB6501 speakers in my doors without any baffle, and was just looking at them this morning. There rear sticker fell off the speaker, but the speaker looked as good as day one.

I would not worry about water getting in the door, unless you have a leak at the belt molding.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The OEM speakers also have a shroud in the plastic frame to keep any drips from hitting the paper cones. Installing aftermarket speakers usually requires destroying/removing the frame.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I believe they get wet. Mine barely make any sound in the winter, so it is probably the wet coil being frozen.

Been like this for the past 8 years, it's not bothering anymore, even for my 500$ speakers....

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I believe they get wet. Mine barely make any sound in the winter, so it is probably the wet coil being frozen.

Been like this for the past 8 years, it's not bothering anymore, even for my 500$ speakers....

That happened to one of mine once. I thought it somehow was cooked, so I took it out to find that the coil was indeed frozen inside the magnet.

I can't remember for sure, but I think i made a shroud out of an old yogurt container to shield the top of the speakers inside the doors after that.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
That happened to one of mine once. I thought it somehow was cooked, so I took it out to find that the coil was indeed frozen inside the magnet.

I can't remember for sure, but I think i made a shroud out of an old yogurt container to shield the top of the speakers inside the doors after that.
Haha. It was especially noticeable when I had my echo and infinity kappa speakers. Those famous 2ohm speakers.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
robkay

Drives: Hatch
I think I'm going to fashion some sort of a deflector to at least protect the speakers from above. I'll have to make a trip down the dairy isle with a tape measure!

I never thought about a voice coil freezing up, but I can see where it could happen. Fortunately, my car is garaged and when it is severely cold out we generally stay in. Not everyone has that situation, though. I have always noticed that when the weather starts to warm up in the Spring my speakers suddenly start sounding better!

I'm not doing a major upgrade as I don't spend all that much time in the car. I was researching info to put in a dash cam and happened upon a thread that said the door speakers are 6.5" round. I just happened to recall that I have a pair of Yamaha 2-way speakers that I pulled from a car I sold years ago. I verified the size at 6.5", so why not stick them in? I even found my paperwork showing that I paid 80 bucks for them in 1992. They've been carefully stowed away in the original packaging, so I think they should still work. The depth is OK. I got the Metra brackets and connectors recommended on the forum. It the speakers still work it will be an upgrade over the OEM's and that's all I'm looking for.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote