Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
twiceover

Drives: 2007 Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan
Replace the speakers? or the HU?

Today I realized that the sound system is absolutely horrible. I'm not one for big bumpin' stereos, in fact they are fvcking annoying IMO. Anyway, I don't want to lose the stock look. Anyone think just replacing the speakers would bring an improvment?

Also, I don't use the CD player, mostly just the AUX jack. I threw in a CD and it was just as bad.

Any ideas?
twiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Replacing only the speakers will give you a minor improvement.

I strongly suggest changing the following (and not necessarily in this order):

- Head Unit with at least 2 pre-outs
- Speakers (fronts are good enough, front + rear if you wish)
- Install an amplifier to power your speakers (2 channel for your fronts, 4 channel if you are installing fronts and rears)

Head unit: Changing this from stock to aftermarket will push more on your speakers, and it will sound slightly better. Emphasis on slightly, as the stock speakers are rated 20W Max @ 4ohm. I think the RMS power is 5-10W @ 4ohm. The're really pathetic.

Head unit + speakers: Changing both your head unit and speakers to aftermarket units will work out nicely. Even running aftermarket speakers off deck power is better than Stock HU + Stock Speakers or Aftermarket HU + Stock speakers. Your new speakers will be receiving about 20-22W RMS power compared to the 5-10W RMS that the stock units can take.

Head unit + Speakers + Power Amp: This is the ideal setup. You will get clean power from your deck to your amp, and your amp will push cleaner and greater power to your speakers. This makes a remarkable difference.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
i replaced my stock speakers and added a 600watt amp to power them, kept my stock headunit to keep stock look...*

sound = 100x's better

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
i replaced my stock speakers and added a 600watt amp to power them, kept my stock headunit to keep stock look...*

sound = 100x's better
Forgot to mention this option.

This works too, you just need a line out converter to get an amp to work with you stock HU.

It works because your HU is no longer pushing the power, your amp will.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
twiceover

Drives: 2007 Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan
Yeah, replacing the HU really isn't that possible. I have the LCD integrated one so I would have to order the replacement pannels to go to a DIN type unit.

I'll have to look into the whole converter thing and an amp. I also would like to add a small sub box also. Just enough for me. Any suggestions adding this to the whole setup? Would I need multiple amps?
twiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceover
Yeah, replacing the HU really isn't that possible. I have the LCD integrated one so I would have to order the replacement pannels to go to a DIN type unit.

I'll have to look into the whole converter thing and an amp. I also would like to add a small sub box also. Just enough for me. Any suggestions adding this to the whole setup? Would I need multiple amps?
not sure about adding subs with multiple amps... i'm looking at doing that...
but if you dont want to get a lineout converter you can always get an amp that takes hi/lo inputs.

will work for parts
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
For speakers and 1 sub you would need 2 amps, one 4 channel for the speakers and one D-class mono or 2 channel to power the sub with. You won't necessarily need a line-out converter, some amps have hi-level inputs on them... IMHO, even just replacing the speakers and running them off the stock HU, as long as you use a decent speaker, will sound better than the stock speakers.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I'am just waiting for the instalation money cause i got everything
speakers/ 2 power plants 800 & 1600 / parametric etc etc
Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

why not not tackel the task yourself? its not all that hard, more or less just time consuming..

will work for parts
Old 10-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I'd replace the speakers first. That's what I did with mine while I waited for metra to make the install kit for the single DIN head unit. It was a huge improvement from stock. (I used MB Quart components.)

The head unit you can see so Toyota puts in a half-way decent one. Speakers are hidden and they put in junk.

I've never heard the stock speakers with an aftermarket head unit, but my guess is that the improvement wouldn't be as dramatic as new speakers/stock head unit. Speakers are the weakest link in any set up.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
I'd replace the speakers first. That's what I did with mine while I waited for metra to make the install kit for the single DIN head unit. It was a huge improvement from stock. (I used MB Quart components.)

The head unit you can see so Toyota puts in a half-way decent one. Speakers are hidden and they put in junk.

I've never heard the stock speakers with an aftermarket head unit, but my guess is that the improvement wouldn't be as dramatic as new speakers/stock head unit. Speakers are the weakest link in any set up.
i would agree with this.

of course im also pretty jealous of yoru MB's :)
Old 10-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
Violin

What these?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Get two amps, (one 4 channel, and a mono amp) 4 new quality speakers and a sub. I would go with componentsd up from and two way in the rear.
For a sub you only need a single 10". A 4 ohm DVC sub allows for more wiring options.

Keep the OEM deck but run your speaker wires from the deck to the 4 channel amp then run the speaker wires to your speakers from the amp.
For a sub, splice into the speaker wires and run them to the sub amp. if your sub amp has high level inputs you can just splice into the speaker wires and run them to the amp. If your amp only has low level inputs you need to buy a line convertor.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
What these?

Hey Violin,
How do you like the imaging and soundstage with the tweeters mounted in that position?

I tested various locations to mount the tweeter and I found your location to be too bright for my tastes, even after tuning the amp and crossover appropriately.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Violin

I connected the tweeters to the -2 dB position to take some of the edge off. My 46 year old ears took care of the rest - your results may vary.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
also will greatly depend on the qualitys of the tweaters. just like how some tweaters can be aimed at your windshield and give great results, but other will just sound like crap in that same location.
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #17
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
I still wanna see if I can manage a headrest mounted (Fiero style) or seat top mounted (Infiniti M style) speaker system... heh.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
How is the sound quality using the stock HU and a 4 channel amp using a high level converter? I have a Blaupunkt PA4100 that comes with its own converter. I know I will lose my fader control, but I'm more concerned about sound quality. Anyone know?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote