Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #163
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
I own a 2010 manual yaris. It took me about a month to become comfortable with the clutch, but I have no problems driving it now. What does PITA stand for?
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #164
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb3990 View Post
I own a 2010 manual yaris. It took me about a month to become comfortable with the clutch, but I have no problems driving it now. What does PITA stand for?
pain in the ass
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #165
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme View Post
Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..
sounds like 100% driver error
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #166
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
Thanks for the explanation, bitz. Tamago, neither I nor most other posters had the OP's difficulties with our stick shifts. After reading the whole thread, I think the OP's problems were that he owned to many cars with manual transmissions and just couldn't get used to the Yaris, or possibly something was wrong with his car.
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #167
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb3990 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, bitz. Tamago, neither I nor most other posters had the OP's difficulties with our stick shifts. After reading the whole thread, I think the OP's problems were that he owned to many cars with manual transmissions and just couldn't get used to the Yaris, or possibly something was wrong with his car.
I read the whole thread, too, because I had similar problems in the beginning. The Yaris MT *does* take a while to get used to. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
sounds like 100% driver error
yeah, partly. They just needed a little more time to adapt to the car.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #168
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
heh, when the car originally came out people just didn't like it. This was quite a huge debate back then, it is funny that this thread hasn't died.

Even after almost 4 years of driving my Yaris i still stall it once in a while.

There were a few people that did the 1 month and traded it in because they just couldn't stand the clutch and dbw. The must have had money to burn.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #169
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I read the whole thread, too, because I had similar problems in the beginning. The Yaris MT *does* take a while to get used to. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of.

yeah, partly. They just needed a little more time to adapt to the car.
I wonder how many people in the world refuse to drive a manaul because the first few times they tried to learn how to drive it they just had too much difficulty? Society looks at those people as being lame, lazy, and quiters.... how is it any different for somebody who sells a yaris after 1 month of ownership?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #170
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lots of people nowadays refuse to drive a manual, that is why it is very hard to find a lot of models of cars with anything but a slush box.

I remember trying to teach my best friend, she took five minutes and then decided she didn't need to learn...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #171
tomato
Super Moderator

hmmm... I never had a choice. I learned how to drive on an old MT. It was either that or nothing, so I learned on the old MT and continued driving MT's for pretty much the rest of my life (except for a couple of old V8's along the way ;).

I like MT. I think switching gears manually is part of the fun. But then again, I enjoy driving.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #172
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
lots of people nowadays refuse to drive a manual, that is why it is very hard to find a lot of models of cars with anything but a slush box.

I remember trying to teach my best friend, she took five minutes and then decided she didn't need to learn...
IDK about that one, BMW made a e60m5 with a crappy 6speed just to satisfy the 'Purist' driver. Most people couldn't stand it wasn't a manual, even tho the SMG was SUPER FAST.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #173
Yaris#2

Drives: 2010 5dr hatchback manual
Ok, I just read through this entire thread. I've had my 5dr manual just under 2 wks now and since I normally drive a 5 speed Nissan pick-up, I know that its going to take a while to get used to the difference in the clutchs and I end up slipping the Yaris in first and doing the same to the truck when I get back in it. I wish it didn't rev when I shift, but I got 32mpg on the first tank of gas driving all but a few miles in town in the winter! I can't get that in my 4 cylinder 5sp truck even if I shut it off and coast down hill on the highway! I love the car. The reving between shifts makes me think people are laughing that I don't know how to drive a stick, but then I realize, the ones that are really laughing are laughing that I'm driving a Yaris, because they have never driven a Yaris! The car is a blast to drive and with the manual, I can still leave most of the drivers on the road in my dust anytime I choose to. Oh, and I'll use less gas doing it than they are putzing along.

He who laughs last, laughs best :)
Yaris#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #174
tomato
Super Moderator

^ nobody is laughing, and just wait and see, once you're no longer having to think about the clutch, the car becomes *really* fun to drive.

And by the way, welcome to the forum
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #175
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
I just got my 2010 3dr 5-speed and have only had it a week. I did have a bit of trouble getting used to going from zero to first gear, but it's getting better and I'm getting used to it. It's just a matter of adjusting to the individual car. They're all different. I stalled out a few times the first few days and found I just need to give it a little more gas than I would have thought. We're all good now!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #176
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme View Post
Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..

They must be either untrained, uncoordinated, spastic, handicapped or texting.
In all cases, best take the bus and spare the rest of the collateral damage they're likely to leave in their wake for the balance of their driving lives.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #177
koolerking

Drives: White Manual 2007 3 Door Yaris
I'll also say i agree with the thread starter. I've been driving for 20 years, 95% of that with a manual. After owning my manual 2007 1.3 yaris I still have the same issues. At first i just thought it was me getting used to manual after driving my old auto subaru, but after 18 months the clutch pick up and throttle lag coming off the gas it is still annoying the hell out me. I have stalled it due to the clutch "bogging down" when it hasn't enough gas from off the line, to the opposite of spinning the wheels all the way through to second (on a hill start) when you give it enough throttle to not bog down!

I hate it! Are any of these after market ECU's any good at the throttle lag? Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? If it hydraulic is it controlled by the ECU and therefore able to be adjusted with a uprated brain?

Id also like to add the spinning of wheels isn't helped by the fact the yaris is VERY light on its front end, even with new Dunlops on!

Last edited by koolerking; 10-19-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: afterthought
koolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #178
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolerking View Post
I'll also say i agree with the thread starter. I've been driving for 20 years, 95% of that with a manual. After owning my manual 2007 1.3 yaris I still have the same issues. At first i just thought it was me getting used to manual after driving my old auto subaru, but after 18 months the clutch pick up and throttle lag coming off the gas it is still annoying the hell out me. I have stalled it due to the clutch "bogging down" when it hasn't enough gas from off the line, to the opposite of spinning the wheels all the way through to second (on a hill start) when you give it enough throttle to not bog down!

I hate it! Are any of these after market ECU's any good at the throttle lag? Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? If it hydraulic is it controlled by the ECU and therefore able to be adjusted with a uprated brain?

Id also like to add the spinning of wheels isn't helped by the fact the yaris is VERY light on its front end, even with new Dunlops on!
Well, I still have my hatch and I still manage to kill it once in a while. I have figured out that the first year I had mine that I didn't realize 'dead pedal' was keeping me from getting my foot all the way down to the floorboard. This means that initial clutch take up was nearly zero. It took a long while to actually look and see the geography of the dead pedal and clutch pedal. Once I saw the clutch pedal was nearly dead center of the steering column I adjusted my foot and started getting the pedal all the way down. My xB1 didn't have this dead pedal AND it had a higher numerical overall final drive number--it was geared lower to keep that brick moving through air on the highway. I think this higher overall ratio made it easier to launch the xB1. The Yaris is definitely designed for high mileage unlike my xB1.

Toyota is definitely at fault for the pedal location. What puzzles me is that it was designed in Europe (as I recall) and they don't have dainty feet either!

My greatest disappointment has been the failure of my dealer or Gulf States to do the right thing on this. They know there are problems.

woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #179
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I always pushed clutches in vehicles all the way to the floor. Habit I guess. Is this the issue with the Yaris? Not doing it far enough? I was thinking about the next one I get (one for me this time) may be a stick, but now I don't know.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #180
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The 2008 L.B. with 5 speed maual we had was a bit finicky when started out in 1st . Even worse in reverse . But once you got going it was a fun , especially after putting REDLINE MT-90 in the tranny , much smoother shifting and no clunking into reverse . Liked the low gear ratio , could easily creep up to stop sign in 1st , then remain almost still few seconds w/o stalling and away you go . Miss that car .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote