Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Good For New Buyers , A Rip Off For Owners

New Yaris before Cash for Clunkers $13,500
New Yaris after Cash for Clunkers $9500 +1 POS
Used Yaris before Cash for Clunkers $9500
Used Yaris after Cash for Clunkers $6000-$7500 ?
and I was dumb enough to think the big screw might be over when the Repulicans left the white house FTS

Last edited by Bob Dog; 07-31-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
While I'm all for getting gas guzzlers off the road I know that is a secondary benefit here, while the primary goal is nothing but a further bailout for the U.S. auto industry, who I never wanted to see bailed out in the first place.

As for the politics of it, meh. Every Presidency in our history has made some stinky decisions. I see no reason why that should just up and stop all of a sudden.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Exactly: Optimism is as usual rewarded by a good swift kick in the butt....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
Exactly: Optimism is as usual rewarded by a good swift kick in the butt....
I dunno... you get more things done being optimistic than pessimistic.

That being said, I still have a gigantic ghetto cruiser which the EPA says isn't a "clunker" because back in 1985 it got better than fifteen miles to the gallon.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
I was dumb enough to think the big screw might be over when the Repulicans left the white house FTS
"Cash for Clunkers" is an ice cream cone and a peck on the cheek compared to the full blown luvin' you're gonna get from the Crony Capitalism of Cap 'n Rape (backed by GE and other Corporate giants) and "Health Care" (backed by the AMA).

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
You guys ought to move that thread to the off topic discussion, I think.

Health care: do you really like the idea that millions of Americans everywhere can't afford health insurance right now? Some can, but insurances will turn them down based on pre-existing conditions. What are they supposed to do? Here in California, a simple doctor's visit (consult, 15 minutes at MOST) is $184. That's not some fancy visit in some fancy place, believe me.

Is it fair that people who have worked all their lives and saved every penny should go bankrupt when someone gets, let's say cancer? IDK, something sure needs to be done. I don't trust the government anymore than the next guy, but a little bit of regulation to make sure prices don't skyrocket might be a good idea. Look at the price of prescription drugs for instance, I mean that is completely out of hand. Many of these drugs (which Seniors require) are long out of R&D, and shouldn't be priced that high. The tax payer is footing the bill Maybe I should just shut up because the health care situation just puts me in a bad mood. Anyway, think about it, even if you voted Republican and hate the very thought of any government involvment. Just think about it, OK? Health care as it is now in the US is no care at all for the majority of people. It is a disgrace, if you ask me.

Last edited by tomato; 07-31-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: oops
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Cash for Clunkers is most certainly benefiting Asian carmakers more than the US automakers. The regulations of the program pretty much ensure that. Not only are people using this program to buy Asian cars now but those Asian cars will last 5-10 years at least meaning those people won't even need to consider buying American for 5-10 years. IMO it would have been much more beneficial to make this program actually benefit the US auto industry, at least then it would benefit something our government has already invested heavily in.

The program appears to be about 80% show and 20% go. The one upside is that it has managed to bring 250,000 buyers into dealerships this week. The list of downsides is very long.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
what exactly has D done for me?
Too soon to tell.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
what exactly has D done for me?
At the end of the New Deal (1968) a single wage earner could support a family. At the end of the Reagan Revolution it takes 2 wage earners and sometimes that's not enough.

The new administration has a tremendous pile of shiit to clean up. I think we should give em a little time - it took 40 years to get us this screwed, I think it's going to take a few years to get us less screwed.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

6 months after the inception of a major illness, 60% of families no longer have healthcare insurance. Modern health care insurance is a grand scale scam at least on the level of the mortgage and the banking scandals. It is structured by actuaries to never pay off. The only ones who can afford keep the stuff in event of serious illness are the wealthy, so it ends up everyone else is subsidising the healthcare of the rich with their payments before their insurance was terminated.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
tuckevalastin

No sense in moving it to off topic... political threads only make it a few hours before getting so heated that they are locked anyway
Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

It looks to me like all the base prices for vehicles have been knocked up so what it really amounts to is that the incentive is going to the dealers and manufacturers and not to the people buying the vehicles.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
No sense in moving it to off topic... political threads only make it a few hours before getting so heated that they are locked anyway
You're right. That's why I deleted my rant about the R admin, but I'll sneak this one in before we get locked: I agree wholeheartedly with 2+2.

Just give the guy a little time, will ya? It rattles my cage when I hear people blame the guy already because he's implemented such or such program. I wasn't happy about the bailout either (although if you recall the first bailout was b/f November)., eh, I hear ya, believe me (I pay my bills and try to live within my means, so, why should I be penalized because other dudes bought houses they couldn't afford in the first place with 0 down). But last year, we were on the brink of a major financial disaster and now, things are somewhat stabilized. So let give it a little time and see what happens, I guess that's all I'm trying to say.

Peace.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
It looks to me like all the base prices for vehicles have been knocked up so what it really amounts to is that the incentive is going to the dealers and manufacturers and not to the people buying the vehicles.
Well, that's a good point, too.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
tuckevalastin

I've often wondered how many people trade in cars that they could have gotten $4500 for as a trade in anyway. In those cases I bet the dealer wishes they could just have the car traded in so they can resell it and make a little extra profit
Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Cash for Clunkers is most certainly benefiting Asian carmakers more than the US automakers. The regulations of the program pretty much ensure that. Not only are people using this program to buy Asian cars now but those Asian cars will last 5-10 years at least meaning those people won't even need to consider buying American for 5-10 years. IMO it would have been much more beneficial to make this program actually benefit the US auto industry, at least then it would benefit something our government has already invested heavily in.

The program appears to be about 80% show and 20% go. The one upside is that it has managed to bring 250,000 buyers into dealerships this week. The list of downsides is very long.

they may be based out of japan, korea, wherever, but check out the number of plants (thats manufacturing plants) and offices they now own and operate here in the states, mexico and canada.

besides china holds most of our U.S debt. <<<off topic but ya know.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
tuckevalastin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
they may be based out of japan, korea, wherever, but check out the number of plants (thats manufacturing plants) and offices they now own and operate here in the states, mexico and canada.

besides china holds most of our U.S debt. <<<off topic but ya know.

I know the number of plants and offices in N.America (both Import and Domestic) and that doesn't change a thing in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
tuckevalastin

Quote:
You're right. That's why I deleted my rant about the R admin, but I'll sneak this one in before we get locked: I agree wholeheartedly with 2+2.
I'll delete my D response too in the interest of the discussion of the Cash for Clunkers program and not all around politics.