Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Anyone shop at a discount grocer? Like Save-a-Lot or Price Rite (North East)?

The benefit? Rock bottom prices on the same brand name foods that you pay double (yes, double) for at the big name retailers with their fancy set ups.
I personally think that the correct approach is the one where a retailer makes it clear up front that they would not provide removable storage options for customers unless they are in the disabled or elderly. This would be a way to cut down on those overhead costs, stay a little greener, and still support those that would not have the ability for said removable storage.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Didn't think I'd get this kind of response

replacement is my problem...I bring in the bags from the previous trip and don't restock the car

For me it's the principle as well....its not that its law to charge 5c, stores are just padding their bottom line. I do actually try to use green bags, but they get left at home from the last time I used them

Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, yw
I don't think that you got yw's panties in a bunch. You brought up a topic of discussion that it neither religious, racial, nor political.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #21
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I am not doubting that they add overhead. I am just suggesting that they are full of crap if they try and say they don't account for that in their prices. The beauty as well as problem with capitalism is that it allows for someone selling something to add an additional percentage per hop of the path for the product even if it is not warranted or called for to the point of abuse.
I agree completely. Places that charge for bags, be it airlines or whoever, is gouging the customer.

Again, i don't know about this canada thing though.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
From the Toronto Star - May 9, 2007

The provincial government wants Ontarians to cut in half the number of plastic shopping bags they use over the next five years.
Today, Environment Minister Laurel Broten will announce a partnership with the Recycling Council of Ontario and grocer and retail associations to come up with a system of consumer incentives to meet the target, the Toronto Star has learned.
"Each of us can help clean up our environment by doing little things like reducing the number of plastic bags we use," a provincial source said.
The program will be voluntary but if the carrot approach doesn't work, the province has the ability to drag out the stick in the form of mandatory per bag charges or outright bans.
The recycling council will work with all retail businesses – from large grocery chains to small corner stores – to provide incentives such as store points that can be redeemed for products, air miles or cash to customers who use reusable cloth or canvas bags.
Other elements of the program, to be rolled out in coming months, will include training for store clerks to double bag less often, put more items in each bag and stop bagging large or single items. It may also include more per bag fees. "We're working with industry to give families the tools they need to cut their use of bags in half by 2012," the source said.
Right now, Ontarians use 7 million plastic bags each day – that's about 4 bags per person every week.
There will be annual reports measuring the success, and if the voluntary system isn't working, the province can regulate tougher measures such as bag fees or bans.
"While we're keen to be partnering with industry, we will take further action if we're not seeing the kind of results that we want to see," the source said.
Many grocery stores – seeking to capitalize on increased consumer interest in the environment – have already started to try to make a dent in those numbers by offering cloth or canvas bags or reusable bins and providing goodies to customers who use them.
A&P and Dominion, for example, sell a 99-cent reusable shopping bag that holds the equivalent of about three plastic bags of groceries, and give 5 air miles to customers with reusable bags. With all grocers and other stores on board, through their associations, competition will set in and incentives are likely to rise.
The incentive program flows from a pilot project in Sault Ste. Marie, which is trying to find out what it takes to get people to remember to bring their reusable bags back to the store.
"What are consumers looking for? What will make them remember to open the trunk and bring the reusable bin or the reusable bag. `Gee, if I'm going to get $5 off my groceries I'll do it,' or air miles or whatever the incentive is – what is enough to (encourage) them to take it back?" Jo-Anne St. Godard, executive director of the Recycling Council of Ontario, said of the pilot project.
The council is a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating waste.
Ontario is in the midst of a waste-disposal crisis. Municipalities and businesses send some 4 million tonnes of garbage, much of it from the GTA, to Michigan each year.
But it's not a landfill shortage that drives people to want to reduce plastic bags, St. Godard said. "The biggest issue from a public standpoint is the problem plastic bags cause with litter. People see them in their communities, they see them on the way to work, they see them at the park," she said.
Ontarians have embraced recycling through their blue and grey curbside boxes and in many municipalities, green bin organics, too. Now it's a matter of having people think of using reusable bags as an extension of their recycling efforts, St. Godard said.
"It's one of those ways we can do something about the environment and it's not that big of a decision," she said.
Ontario is one of many jurisdictions around the world trying to curb the growing number of plastic bags, which are made from petroleum products and take hundreds of years to break down.
Ireland led the way in 2002 by charging about 22 cents per grocery bag and putting the millions raised into recycling programs.
In March, San Francisco became the first city in North America to ban plastic bags in grocery stores and large pharmacies. Retailers were given six months to a year to come up with alternatives such as cloth, paper or biodegradable bags.
In April, Leaf Rapids, a small town in northern Manitoba, became the first municipality in Canada to ban plastic shopping bags.
There is some debate about whether bans and high bag fees reduce the use of plastic overall or just drive people to buy more garbage bags, made of even thicker plastic, to use for kitchen waste or to pick up after their dog. While plastic bags are often used several times before they are discarded, in the end, few of them get recycled.
Overall, Ontario residents and businesses combined recycled only 25 per cent of their trash last year. That's far behind the 2003 Liberal election promise to divert 60 per cent of waste from landfills by 2008 through the three Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle) and composting.
The environment minister now says the province will be focusing on the first R – reduce.
"Like every single Ontarian, I want to see us reduce our environmental footprint, the legacy that we're leaving as a generation of heavy consumers, and we're going to tackle that issue," Broten said in a recent interview.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
For me it's the principle as well....its not that its law to charge 5c, stores are just padding their bottom line.
I'm sure the charge is meant to discourage their use. The profit is just incidental.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #24
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I'm sure the charge is meant to discourage their use. The profit is just incidental.
The incentive to discourage waste is fine however a retailer deciding to put some icing on the cake is exactly what I was discussing about capitalism and it being abused.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
It has been a long time since I visited Europe, but I do remember going into a shop and buying bread. Bang. On the counter is your loaf of bread, pay up. Same thing in cheese shops. It was up to YOU to bring your own bags for the goods you were going to buy, think ahead, Colonial! Why should the retailer do it for you? Believe it or not, it isn't difficult to change your ways, just take your own bags, simple as that.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I don't think that you got yw's panties in a bunch. You brought up a topic of discussion that it neither religious, racial, nor political.
LOL!!

Everything always boils down to politics somehow

I've started to bring my own bags almost everywhere but sometimes it's not possible (living in the City, you can only walk around with so much stuff on your person) and paper bags are still included at most grocery stores, thank goodness. When I was a kid (I grew up in Europe), we had something resembling an expandable fishnet and that's everybody used to go to the market or go to the grocery store. We were green before it was in style
Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, yw
You didn't. I don't wear any.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
It has been a long time since I visited Europe, but I do remember going into a shop and buying bread. Bang. On the counter is your loaf of bread, pay up. Same thing in cheese shops. It was up to YOU to bring your own bags for the goods you were going to buy, think ahead, Colonial! Why should the retailer do it for you? Believe it or not, it isn't difficult to change your ways, just take your own bags, simple as that.
I've been to Germany multiple times. In grocery stores in Germany, you always bring your own bag, always. If you forget, some stores will give you a bag, but there's a charge for it. I can't remember what the charge was, but it's a lot more than five cents. As for making you pay for other stuff, for some reason, retail stores and shopping centers in Germany charge money to use the bathroom, even if you're a paying customer. If you gotta take a whiz, it could set you back as much as fifty cents. Yes, I know water's expensive in Germany, but charging customers to use the bathroom is just plain idiotic. So, complain all you want about having to pay for bags. It could be much worse....You could be living in Europe, and have to pay to use the restroom during your shopping trip!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I've been to Germany multiple times. In grocery stores in Germany, you always bring your own bag, always. If you forget, some stores will give you a bag, but there's a charge for it. I can't remember what the charge was, but it's a lot more than five cents. As for making you pay for other stuff, for some reason, retail stores and shopping centers in Germany charge money to use the bathroom, even if you're a paying customer. If you gotta take a whiz, it could set you back as much as fifty cents. Yes, I know water's expensive in Germany, but charging customers to use the bathroom is just plain idiotic. So, complain all you want about having to pay for bags. It could be much worse....You could be living in Europe, and have to pay to use the restroom during your shopping trip!
What ? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't be trying to emulate the europeans ? Thier economy is just booming and the increasingly european style tax and economic systems we have been adopting over the last 50 years or so has obviously shown such a marked improvement on our own financial security in this country.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #30
TLyttle

True 'nuff about the washrooms there, but one doesn't see the outrages found in North American public washrooms. They even have full-time attendants, and best you either pay the fee or tip the attendant. Much smarter, and it keeps the silly snots from "having fun" at everyone else's expense.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #31
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Yeah, but I just hated to have to pay to use the toilet while in Europe. I don't care how nice and clean the toilets are (and that's true about them having attendants), I just never understood why a store should charge its own customers to use the bathroom.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
TLyttle

Something about "planning ahead" maybe...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #33
mlfoy

Drives: mustang
i always end up forgetting my canvas bags in the car or at home and i usually have a kid (or two) with me at the store.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I'm in Michigan this week....I double bagged all of our groceries at meijers yesterday and ran over a baby seal on the way back to my sister in laws
Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
^^^ I thought you were banned from the US?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #36
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
^^^ I thought you were banned from the US?
Why do you think that? Too much awesome?