Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
I get no respect!

Midsize autos, trucks, etc. They see me and they just pull out in the front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes.

Do they not know that yes I am small (intentionally) but a lot of damage and loss of life (including theirs) could occur.

Therefore, I have to feel very sorry for the Smart Car owners who must live a nightmare on the highways..

Do any of you have the No Respect problem?
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I get LOADS of no respect when driving my Toyo RV that has a governor preventing it from going more than 50 mph.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I've found that on my 2-lane commute, no matter what speed I go in my Yaris I tend to get tailgated and "postured" at. However, when I drive a pickup truck on the same commute, even if I go a few MPH below the speed limit everyone gives me some space.

I find it sadly funny how people equate their vehicle - which they didn't design, source materials for, build nor even likely maintain on their own - with their ego, and how they feel a need to project that false ego on the roadways that we must all share.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
SimTronik
Machinist

Drives: Yaris sedan 2010
when i got no respect on the road, i look at the driver with my best smile and a thumb up. Hehehe But i learned to take my place but yes sometimes i do have to put my ego out of the equation.
SimTronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Around here there are a lot of men with good ol' boy redneck attitudes that drive large American-made pick-up trucks and hate anything Japanese. I learned when to antagonize them and when to back-off when I drove my Honda CRX in the late 80's. It's not much different now. I back off when they threaten me.

And yes, they try to follow me too close - but I think part of that is it only looks like they are closer, due to having no trunk. I hate that.

I don't drive this car aggressively because it's new and I don't want it wrecked. When it gets older, I tend to drive a little more "spirited" and I don't let people get away with anything.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
chrisj

I hate the people who zoom around you, only to get stopped at the same red light as you do, but of course they are 10 feet ahead. Another thing I find funny is when vehicles zoom past, knowing there is a red light right up ahead. Let them waste gas, I say. I'll pass them at the gas station.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
JetfireK

NO Respect Continued.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I get LOADS of no respect when driving my Toyo RV that has a governor preventing it from going more than 50 mph.
May I ask why you have a governor on your auto? Just wondering....
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
JetfireK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Around here there are a lot of men with good ol' boy redneck attitudes that drive large American-made pick-up trucks and hate anything Japanese. I learned when to antagonize them and when to back-off when I drove my Honda CRX in the late 80's. It's not much different now. I back off when they threaten me.

And yes, they try to follow me too close - but I think part of that is it only looks like they are closer, due to having no trunk. I hate that.

I don't drive this car aggressively because it's new and I don't want it wrecked. When it gets older, I tend to drive a little more "spirited" and I don't let people get away with anything.
Hi Deb....Treat your car when older the same as you do while its spanking new. Your car is stylish and will not fade into oblivion as the years change. Keep it waxed and the windows clean ....Yaris is so much fun...I sold my SC430 the convertible Lexus and got my Yaris...I wish I had known from the "get go" that I loved Yaris....would have saved a few bucks...thanks for replying....I now kinow...there are others who also GET NO RESPECT...
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i remember a big cube truck tried to sideswipe me on the highway coz he thought i intentionally cut him off... very dangerous stunt..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetfireK View Post
Hi Deb....Treat your car when older the same as you do while its spanking new. Your car is stylish and will not fade into oblivion as the years change. Keep it waxed and the windows clean ..
That's what I plan on doing, Jetfire, I love my Yaris so much more than the Cavalier I traded in to get it. I hated that Cavalier as soon as the new car smell faded.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
When I drive my Yaris I get treated like Rodney Dangerfield.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetfireK View Post
May I ask why you have a governor on your auto? Just wondering....
Well, it's an RV, and really, really top heavy. I assume there is a governor on the thing as it will not go over 50 even with the pedal to the floor. Was like that when I got it. Look at the pic to see what I am talking about as far as top heavy goes!
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I've found that on my 2-lane commute, no matter what speed I go in my Yaris I tend to get tailgated and "postured" at. However, when I drive a pickup truck on the same commute, even if I go a few MPH below the speed limit everyone gives me some space.
One of the biggest reasons for this IMO is that people know if you crash into a truck and you are in a car you WILL become squashed and the truck might, just might get a paint scratch on their bumper. It all has to do with the fact that trucks are just built rugged bottom line.

As for the respect thing I was actually run into the median grass area while moving down the Memphis back in 08. If I hadn't literally dripped from 5th to 2nd....yes that is right 2nd I would have died. Sure I hit the rev limiter however it gave me enough power to get past the end of the guard rail so that I didn't flip over it. I can say as well that if I had been in an A/T version I don't feel confident that I would have been able to do the same maneuver. This occurred almost in front of a hidden TN Statie. He took chase and I do not know of the outcome. I only know that the truck made sure he pulled off on the next exit.

The horn suggestion is a great one. Toyota might as well have not even put a horn in with how pathetic it is. I plan on getting a premium horn for sure once I get settled in AL. I plan on doing what the one dude did which was buy a premium horn from a Camry or Avalon from a junkyard.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I get no respect because I'm driving a Toyota in Detroit lol
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
BTW, take a look at my avatar....I have that as a vinyl sticker on my rear window. I say that the SUV was one of the worst inventions. It isn't just because of the piss poor gas mileage. They can come out with tech that will allow SUVs to get 40mpg. That still doesn't fix the problem of how they create massive blind spots on the roadways, in parking lots, etc.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
When I drive my Yaris I get treated like Rodney Dangerfield.
+ 1. Did not happen when I drove the B/F 's huuuuuuuuuuge diesel but I soon as I got back to my car, then it started again.

I had the same problem in the CRX but not as much.

You just have to be twice as aware on the freeway for @ssholes d*che bags who don't know how to share the roads
Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
How to get respect in Yaris: keep it shiny and waxed. Shave your head so you look buff. Wear clothing that show off your biceps and shredded abs. Keep a shotgun visible in the rear window. Drive aggressively, run red lights, roll over the line and rev while waiting. Also shake the neighborhood with your subwoofer.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
just because you are small you have to assert yourself on the road, doing it safely and using your head. and first thing to do is take your ego out of the equation (ie dont look at it as a loss of respect ) and get a dual tone horn , the OEM one is just dinky. There is a way of driving safely and still make sure others will respect the rules.
I agree.
When I fist got my Yaris and was driving a bit slowly etc to get used to it for a few days, I did get cut off frequently.
However, when I started driving normally which for me is slightly agressive (in a safety-oriented way), all the disrespect stopped for the most part.

Installing better horns took care of things in that respect.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote