Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
chriswb

Drives: 09 Yaris Liftback
Used vs. Certified

Hello everyone, I'm considering purchasing a Yaris to replace my old beater and I'd appreciate your advice on a few questions:

#1. Where is the best place to purchase a used Yaris? Dealers around here (Chicago) have a surplus of 2007, 2008, and even a few returned 2009 models. There are a few private sellers with 2007 and 2008 models. Prices from dealers range from $9500-11,000. Prices from private sellers are around $9000. Is it worth purchasing from a dealer, or should I consider private sellers?

One thing I've considered is that I can always add a warranty to a car I purchase from a private seller. Is that a good option?

I am only looking at cars with under 30,000 miles on them with clean CarFax records.

#2. Is purchasing a "certified" car worthwhile? It seems to me that any car I purchase would be under the original Toyota warranty. I can extend the warranty by purchasing the Platinum plan so what benefit will the certification provide?

#3. I am looking at the hatchback and there appear to be a significant amount of variations in the offerings. What should I be looking for?

#4. Is there any difference in quality between the 2007, 2008, and the 2009 models? Ie: is there any reason to pick a 2007 over a 2008, a 2008 over a 2009, and etc.?

Thank you all for your help and advice. Any other advice you can give would be welcome.
chriswb is offline   Reply With Quote