Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
drew999

Drives: 2008 yaris
I've run out of gas three times

am i just a moron or what. I have ran out of gas three times and have been seriously low countless other times because i don't notice the gas meter....it seems to go from 2 bars to nothing really quick and the fact that it's not in front of me is a factor\

has this happened to anyone else?

i wish toyota would have added better technology to the dash like letting you know how many miles left until you need to refuel.
drew999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
it's hard for the fuel gauge to be correct because of the shape of the tank and the mechanism that calculates fuel left. When you hit two bars directly go to a gas station, simple.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999 View Post
am i just a moron or what. I have ran out of gas three times and have been seriously low countless other times because i don't notice the gas meter....it seems to go from 2 bars to nothing really quick and the fact that it's not in front of me is a factor\

has this happened to anyone else?

i wish toyota would have added better technology to the dash like letting you know how many miles left until you need to refuel.

if u watch your last bar will start flashing really fast then u know u in the crap again, but the last bar should give you about 15km dont let the happen to offen as the fuel filter seal gets damage, then u got petrol smell in the car, and u wont be able to fill up because it leaks, then u need to change it, and the dealers take the whole day doing this,

yes it would have been nice if they put a beeper to the last bar
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazier View Post
if u watch your last bar will start flashing really fast then u know u in the crap again, but the last bar should give you about 15km dont let the happen to offen as the fuel filter seal gets damage, then u got petrol smell in the car, and u wont be able to fill up because it leaks, then u need to change it, and the dealers take the whole day doing this,

yes it would have been nice if they put a beeper to the last bar
The problem is seeing when that last bar starts flashing. When I'm driving, I pay more attention to the road in front of me rather than looking at the gauges all the time. If there was a seperate light, that would have been good. Then again, what would have been even better than that would have been to stick with the analog gas gauge. I find them to be a hell of a lot better.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
The problem is seeing when that last bar starts flashing. When I'm driving, I pay more attention to the road in front of me rather than looking at the gauges all the time. If there was a seperate light, that would have been good. Then again, what would have been even better than that would have been to stick with the analog gas gauge. I find them to be a hell of a lot better.
reset your miles counter then keep an eye on the gas guage then u will know when to fill up more or less, also do u drive with the aircon on
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i too reset my trip whenever i fill so i have a good idea of how far i can go
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999 View Post
am i just a moron or what.

probably.

it is not rocket science.

Toyota did all they could putting a gas gauge in that
blinks when YOU NEED TO GET MORE

no one can help you after that, except take your keys away
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Well, even if you pay more attention to the road.. you should learn to somehow check how much gas is left BEFORE you start driving??!?!?

and you should get the idea how many miles you can go with whatever's left...

also, You probably are someone who don't pay too much attention do the speed you are going at. And you probably is someone who forgets to turn on the headlights at night??
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I don't know what's so difficult. The gas gauge is clear and set right near the speedometer and clock which I imagine most people take a look at regularly. No?

There's 8 bars. How does one not notice those bars disappearing over the course of 400 miles or so. How do you drive that far and not check your gas level? Personally, I make a mental visual of my gas level like every 5 minutes.

Don't wait to go much pass the last 2 bars unless you can plan well and are around numerous gas stations. The Yaris can go at least another 40 miles when the 2nd to last bar disappears and leaves you with a blinking bar. Running out of gas boggles my mind.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazier View Post
reset your miles counter then keep an eye on the gas guage then u will know when to fill up more or less, also do u drive with the aircon on
I always reset my trip every time I fill up. But again, with the point that I already made, I don't look at my gauge every second. I only turn on the air conditioning when it is too unbearable to drive without it on at highway speeds. When not on the highway, even on the hottest day, I open the windows. But the higher speeds on the highways make it too noisy to have them open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Well, even if you pay more attention to the road.. you should learn to somehow check how much gas is left BEFORE you start driving??!?!?
Do I look at my gas gauge when I get in my car and start it up? Yeah I do. I'm not an idiot.

Quote:
and you should get the idea how many miles you can go with whatever's left...
I know generally how far I can go. On occassions it's a matter of I need to get somewhere at a certain time (usually an appointment), and therefore don't have time to stop beforehand to fill up. I know that I can make it there on what I have left in the tank. I just don't exactly when that last little bar starts blinking in the issue because I'm not staring at it while I drive. There are too many truckers on the road as well as idiots that you have to watch for.

Quote:
also, You probably are someone who don't pay too much attention do the speed you are going at.
I watch my speed so that I am not going much above the limit. I keep it to about 65 on the turnpike (speed limit = 65), and about 60 on other highways where the speed limit = 55. I don't need to actually "watch" the speedometer though to know how fast I am going. I can generally feel how fast my car is traveling by how hard it is working while traveling on either flat, uphill, or downhill.

Quote:
And you probably is someone who forgets to turn on the headlights at night??
Do I forget to turn my headlights on at night? No. I generally have them on before the sun even sets.

Anyone else have a dig at me just because I state my opinion that having a different style of gas gauge would have been better, in my opinion?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
i am not obsessive however I monitor my gauge and know that depending on where the bars disappear tells me certain things. for example when the second to last bar disappears you have used just below 10 gal of gas. If you are an aggressive driver it might behoove you to only drive another 20 miles if you have no way to fill up immediately, or if you are a cautious driver (or at least once you hit one bar) you should be able to go 30 miles in a predicament. I can tell you that I did have 3 quirks where I ran out of gas. Twice my gauge was actually showing 2 bars left and once there was 3 believe it or not. The dealership reset my ECU after the 3 bar incident occurred and things have been smooth sailing since then. I can tell you that I have actually gone over 40 miles on multiple occasions before once the second to last bar disappeared. The biggest thing is to be cognizant of your driving habits and pay attention to when the bars disappear.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
I want my car to automatically drive itself to the gas station and fill itself up when I get low on gas. Driving is too hard - sadface

But seriously, let me get a high speed camera to watch my eyes and I'll tell you how many THOUSANDTHS of a second it takes me to look at my gas gauge and then look back at the road. If you hit someone in that time, you were following too closely or doing something else unsafe. Oh, and last time I was in PA, they still had stop lights you can stop at and maybe, just maybe, its safe to take your eyes off the road then - just for a second.

Also, drive on your last bar as much as you want, your fuel filter will be fine.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
I think it is just a function of a person's personality. I never let my Yaris go under 2 bars. I'm way too scared of damaging the fuel pump (if I were ever to run out of gas), even though I don't even know if that is possible on a Yaris. I just know that letting your fuel tank go dry is not good for your car and that is enough for me.
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I never let mine go beyond the three bar. Set a bar limit. I think that's the simplest way to do it. If you go past the limit that you set, then you know it's time to fill up. No need to wait til your completely out unless of course you're one of those people who intentionally not fill up so they can get "free" gas.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've got a 6 year-old who likes to constantly watch the fuel gauge. i think it's the highlight of her time in the car to keep daddy informed of how many 'bars' of gas i have left! best system out there
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
@ OP : yeah, the last 2 bars don't last as long as the others. There are some threads on here about that. When it starts blinking, start looking for gas!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Usually when you get to the last bar you have about 1.9 gallons of gas left, this is when it is blinking normally, when the bar starts to blink rapidly you have 1.1 gallons of gas left, so basically on how you drive you have about 30+ miles left before you go on E, but yea i agree there should be some sort of beep or noise notification letting you know your fuel is low, like the ticking time bomb seat belt noise lol
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i've got a 6 year-old who likes to constantly watch the fuel gauge. i think it's the highlight of her time in the car to keep daddy informed of how many 'bars' of gas i have left! best system out there
awww how cute
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote