Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Unforntunate events led to CV boot torn

The unfornatuate events that led to me finding out my CV boot was utterly ripped all the way around this afternoon.

1. Bottom of Coilover adjuster thingy may not have been tighten all the way
2. A rainy night
3. Looked down from the road for a second
4. Hitting a big pothole at 40 mph straight on Friday night

Basically the bottom of the coilover adjuster thingy I assume got jarred loose from the pothole then ongoing vibrations from driving loosen it further and finally sat ontop of the shaft basically be a lathe and started chewing up the coilover piece.

Let this be a lesson to everyone... i now have zipties preventing the other side from coming dropping loose, at the very lease it will vibrate loose but not continue to loosen.

Now i have to wait / drive a 91 Corolla Wagon till the boot to arrive from TRD Sparks, I figure go OEM.

I HOPE this all happened friday night, theres no sound from turning after i fixed the coilover thing.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274

Last edited by ezhacker1; 11-23-2010 at 01:10 AM.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Nasty :(
Good luck with the repairs!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
ezhacker1

Im glad i caught it early, tho i cant know for sure i did catch it early, it is most likely started with the pothole on friday.

Any tips for repairs? I know how a PITA it is to just install the boot...labor intensive

Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I had the same thing happen when I hit an armadillo in Arkansas in 1985 with my year-old Honda Accord hatchback...

Good luck with the repair!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
Im glad i caught it early, tho i cant know for sure i did catch it early, it is most likely started with the pothole on friday.

Any tips for repairs? I know how a PITA it is to just install the boot...labor intensive

There are aftermarket "repair" boots that glue together and don't require pulling the axle to install, but I've heard mixed reviews on the longevity of them. I would pull the axle, completely degrease the joint (to remove any contaminants that got in with the ripped boot), re-grease, and replace the boot. Pulling an axle is not that bad, other than breaking the axle nut loose. You need a 30mm socket for the axle nut and a tool to "un-dent" the axle nut to allow it be rotated. It has a dent that acts as a locking mechanism.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
ezhacker1

im gonna purchase an OEM one from local dealership, and take it to my mechanic buddy to fix it for $60 plus $30+tax for the boot kit. I dont trust myself to do something like this. I read up on split boots, i dont trust those either.

Ironically i had thought the pothole destroyed my shock seeing all that grease, but it wasnt pink no way it got all dark that fast.

Last edited by ezhacker1; 11-23-2010 at 05:41 PM.