Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Vitz RangaaaH

Drives: Yaris
Thumbs down Join my 29.5+ MPG club.

In order to join you must drive 50% city 40% highway
And 10% off road. So seriously idk how some people get these
Absurd amount of mpg. I seriously think some people are bullshitting
Some numbers. I have a well maintained 07 5sp with 40+ thousand miles. I drive like grandpa. Seldom ever ever use the a\c. How the hell do I end up with less then 30 MPG? Yes I check my tire pressure blaah blah blah the whole nine yards. So seriously how does it get less then 30 MPG's?
Vitz RangaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
That's odd. My Yaris is 07, > 57K miles, 5 speed, and I drive mostly city, let's say 70% city, 30% freeway. I manage lower to mid-30's (no off-road, though, unless the potholes around here count?)

Some people may be hypermillers.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, I don't know how people can get UNDER 30 mpg. Seriously! I drive more city than freeway, I accelerate hard (because I like the sound of my CAI and the extra power the few mods I have give me) and still can't get below 33 mpg! I drove to LA a couple of months ago, mostly 70-80 mph, with 2 more adults and one baby in the car and I got 37 mpg on the way there!

What I do? I shift quickly, I try to use the brakes as little as possible and turn off the engine at long traffic lights. I never idle.

My best mileage so far, 50-50 (city-freeway) was 40 mpg, when I tried a little harder. I bet I could get 50 mpg if I drove 55 mph on some backroads through the country side. At 55 mph on the freeway I would risk being run over by a truck around here.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
fmicle

A question for the experts on this forum: could a hot and humid climate (Florida) make such a big difference in mpg versus a hot and dry climate (California)?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Loren
What?

I live in the Tampa area. Drove the hell out of my car for the first tank when I bought it (used w/ 5k miles on it) and got 28 mpg. Since then, I don't recall ever getting less than 36 except on the race track. I typically get between 38 and 44 and have seen almost 50 with enough effort. My typical driving is all city, rarely over 50 mph, and almost always with the AC on.

It can be done, and it's really not that difficult. Try shifting at 10 mph (out of first at 10, out of 2nd at 20, etc) and accelerating gently. A light foot is what it takes to get good MPG. With that, try to maintain a constant speed as much as possible. Look ahead, think ahead, anticipate traffic and avoid using the brakes. Learn to coast in-gear for as long as possible when coming to a stop or approaching traffic. The Yaris uses NO fuel when off-throttle as long as the RPM stays above 1200 rpm.

All of this info and more is readily available on this forum (and elsewhere). Search for it.

We're not lying to you. 40 mpg is easy if you want it. 50 is hard, but not impossible.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
That sucks. I drive my car pretty rough... i have a lead foot when driving and I get around 32-34 mpg... I'd probably do better if I drove like a grandpa.

I also don't drive with my spare tire. I know it seems kinda stupid, but with it my yaris feels so slow... and without it.. it seems like it has better 'go' after a stop light turns green.

Oh, I also have an Autometer Ecometer which connects to OBD II and it tells me real time how much mpg. You can change the settings to how much mpg you want to get... 25,30,35,40. I keep mine at 35 mpg and i get pretty close to 35 when I try.
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
1NZYaris1

Thats your problem you drive like a Grandpa ,
try changing gears every now and then .
You might be plesantly surprised at how quite the car gets as well .
but remember Speed Kills .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Vitz RangaaaH

Thanks for all the responses. I'll be researching from here on out.
Vitz RangaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Try shifting at 10 mph (out of first at 10, out of 2nd at 20, etc)
Those shift points seem to be helping me quite a bit. If you can, couple the shifting strategy with the right road. Since you'd be shifting into 5th at about 40 - 45 mph, roads with a 45 or 55 mph speed limit are saweet if they don't have too many stop signs/traffic lights.

I've spent most of the last 6 or 8 weekends house shopping out in "the sticks" about 20 miles from where I now live. I've tried taking the e-way out there but I don't like everyone blowing past me at 75 mph with me doing 55. I feel like I'm being rude and lol I feel like it's target practice and I'm about to be the target. Taking roads with 45 - 55 mph speed limits and putting up with a few stop signs takes longer but it's giving me better mileage and I actually enjoy the drive. It's a smell the roses thing combined with the "only motorsport that saves you money" thing. (lol steeling someone elses line).
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Loren
What?

You don't necessarily have to drive "slow" to get good gas mileage. I typically drive 5 over the limit. Just maintain a light foot in getting TO that speed.

Another trick you can do (this is a version of "pulse and glide" and takes advantage of "DFCO"... look it up!) is to simply take your foot completely off the gas for 2-3 seconds anytime you can. You'll lose 3-5 mph. Maintain your light foot getting back up to speed. On my typical city drive of 20-miles or so, each time I pull off the gas for 3 seconds, I gain about .1 mpg (so says the ScanGauge) for the trip.

Coast to stoplights. Anticipate them enough that you can coast, never touch the brakes AND never come to a complete stop if you can. If you maintain 20 mph, that's 20 mph you don't have to accelerate back up to!

"Driving like grandpa" was mentioned. Driving slowly does not necessarily equate to driving efficiently. If you hammer the gas to get up to 40 mph, then tailgate every car you come across so that you have to almost come to a stop every time someone else needs to make a turn (and then accelerate again!), you're driving inefficiently! You could drive 5, even 10 mph faster, if you can MAINTAIN that speed, and get better MPG by driving more efficiently.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
See this is the problem.

City driving means every 100-300feet there is usually a car double parked, a stop sign, a light, or bumper to bumper traffic.

Highway usually means either crashes, bumper to bumper traffic, or high beams if your going slower then 65mph on certain highways/parkways.

Speed limits in the city are 30mph, and highway is 55mph.(or was that 50)

For me I have a sound system, and a completely dynomated trunk, and 17"rims with unfortunately heavy falcon 912 tires.

So this is why I get 28-30.5mpg average.
So you are not alone.

Citi driving for "others" is still usually highway, just a lower speed limit, I know this because city to me in other states is still usually easy driving, no heavy acceleration, and long straights. While highways, are just uncongested and easy flowing highways.

THis is all why some average 27-30. And others average 35+.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Loren
What?

True, all cities are not created equal. I'm very glad for that. :)

Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
You don't necessarily have to drive "slow" to get good gas mileage. I typically drive 5 over the limit. Just maintain a light foot in getting TO that speed.

Another trick you can do (this is a version of "pulse and glide" and takes advantage of "DFCO"... look it up!) is to simply take your foot completely off the gas for 2-3 seconds anytime you can. You'll lose 3-5 mph. Maintain your light foot getting back up to speed. On my typical city drive of 20-miles or so, each time I pull off the gas for 3 seconds, I gain about .1 mpg (so says the ScanGauge) for the trip.

Coast to stoplights. Anticipate them enough that you can coast, never touch the brakes AND never come to a complete stop if you can. If you maintain 20 mph, that's 20 mph you don't have to accelerate back up to!

"Driving like grandpa" was mentioned. Driving slowly does not necessarily equate to driving efficiently. If you hammer the gas to get up to 40 mph, then tailgate every car you come across so that you have to almost come to a stop every time someone else needs to make a turn (and then accelerate again!), you're driving inefficiently! You could drive 5, even 10 mph faster, if you can MAINTAIN that speed, and get better MPG by driving more efficiently.

Good luck!
Amen!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I usually average 28-35 mpg. the best ever in my auto is 36.7. Our roads and speed limits suck as there are no areas where I can really go 45 legally. Mostly I know my mileage sucks is because of my right foot.

However keeping the same driving habits in the stock '09 5-speed, I get 36city/44hwy.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Are you almost due for an oil or air filter change? My MPG usually acts up within the last 2K miles before it's due

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
No. Just changed mine to Royal Purple 5w-20 with an K&N filter. These two tanks gave me 30.5mpg. Almost on my third tank, maybe by today or tomorrow I will find out the avaerage again.

I do need to change a few things on the car; air intake filter and cabin filter;

and assuming these need to be changed: brake fluid, tranny fluid, coolant fluid.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
If you use a K&N, be careful not to over-oil. Not only does it reduce airflow, but oil on your AFM will throw a code.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
my numbers look something like...90% city driving, 75mph average when on highways, 17" rims, 28-30mpg average
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote