Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Question Smart key

Hey all.

My car has one of those smart keys. Its an import car and came with one smart key only. If I lose that key I will be royally screwed. So I really want to get another copy made.

Apparently programming one is easy, but finding the blank is hard. I dont even want to consider Toyota dealerships because I know it will be atleast $1000. I have found some locksmiths that have them for $800. I have checked ebay but not much luck.

Does anyone know somewhere (Prefereably US or UK) that sells the smart key blanks for a but more reasonable price ? If it helps I have that metal stamped keycode that came attached with the key (I think it helps the dealer reprogram them).

I will upload a picture of the key.

JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Wow... and I thought my dealer was already ripping me off by quoting me $500 for a new key... I decided to get a couple of blanks on ebay myself:

REMOTE KEY REPLACEMENT SHELL CASE BLANK 3 BUTTON BLANK KEY
NEW UNCUT TOYOTA TRANSPONDER IGNITION CHIP CAR KEY REPLACEMENT BLANK

Unfortunately, I can't yet say if they work or not since I still haven't had the time to get them cut and programmed.
BTW, the key with the remote looks and feels nice and solid. I think I like it better than the OEM, but the design is very close anyway. Also, this particular seller shipped them the same day.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
Hey all.

My car has one of those smart keys. Its an import car and came with one smart key only. If I lose that key I will be royally screwed. So I really want to get another copy made.

Apparently programming one is easy, but finding the blank is hard. I dont even want to consider Toyota dealerships because I know it will be atleast $1000. I have found some locksmiths that have them for $800. I have checked ebay but not much luck.

Does anyone know somewhere (Prefereably US or UK) that sells the smart key blanks for a but more reasonable price ? If it helps I have that metal stamped keycode that came attached with the key (I think it helps the dealer reprogram them).

I will upload a picture of the key.

Only the Asian market gets them, so one of the Japanese auction sites is probably your best bet. I have one that was imported from Japan along with some other parts for experimentation. It is just sitting on my bench, so if you are interested, shoot me an offer for it.