Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
jeremyshay

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metalic Liftback
Send a message via AIM to jeremyshay
can i hook up an amp and subs to stock h/u?

i have a 07 lb and want to hook up an amp and subs to my stock hu.
is this possible? i havent pulled it apart yet, but figured id ask before i did work for no reason...
THANKS!
jeremyshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Get a hi-lo converter. I don't really like them, they always introduced a lot of sound whenever I used passive ones. You can get one made by scosche from walmart for super cheap. I prefer the active ones, but they cost more. The 3Sixty.2 is pretty cool but way over priced in my opinion.

http://www.scosche.com/catalogs/Scos...ntegration.pdf
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Thats exactly what I did. The scoche works fine for my amp+sub. I actually bought a new HU from crutchfield tonight so I'll have the RCA outputs now :).

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
mickymouse

Drives: none
not sure on your HU.. however if you'd know a guy who could do some soldering there is a good chance you can add some RCA to your stock HU.
Most HU (at least some years ago) use simple hybrid amplifiers (little black stand up straight power IC's with many pins on them, mostly TDAxxx series). On their input you can solder a RCA cable, thats it.

Have done that mod on numerous HU's from Alpine and Kenwood.

Cheer's Mike
mickymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
jeremyshay

this is the H/U i have

anyone else have this and know whether it'll work or not?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
mickymouse

Drives: none
hi, thanks for the pics.
Since I am still waiting on my Yaris I cannot open mine and check.

However, question is... do you have some guy who can solder?
If yes, take the HU out, pop the lid and give me the part number (or post a picture).
Some more modern ones use full digital solutions which have the power section inlcuded.
I would hope that this low cost unit still uses a separate amp.

Cheers, mike
mickymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
jeremyshay

thanks for all the input!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
the simple answer is... "yes, but you don't want to".
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
jeremyshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
the simple answer is... "yes, but you don't want to".
do tell...
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, im gonna guess where he is going with this is: for under $100us you can get a head unit that will have RCA outputs, and even on deck power will sound 2x as good as sound comming from a cheapo factory unit. its not like you are dealing with the premium sound system in a 100k+ dollar luxury sedan where the stereo components are half decent and the deck is worth something. this is a 10k dollar entry level sedan. if it comes with a stereo it will be CHEAP.

so, not only will the sound quality be worse than even a cheap cd reciever...you are screwing with the factory unit, which if you botch, would be a small fortune from toyota...then you will have to get a cd reciever anyway.

not to mention...but i wonder what the impedance is off the factory deck assuming the amp isnt internal...either way i doubt the effort involved will be worth the blood sweat and tears. i value my time off work more than i value my time at work...and if the time it would take to graft preamps to a factory deck at work rate is worth more than a cheap aftermarket deck...you can bet i am not screwing with factory head units on my spare time.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Tlan! I can't believe you're saying that.

The answer is Yes, you can but you don't want to buy a crappy Line Output Converter...and you want to put it in correctly. This is the same with ANY car audio piece. You can buy an ultra exotic piece, but if you don't install it correctly, you've got an ultra exotic piece of crap. But hey! Chin up! It's been proven that you can polish a turd.

I'm not using the stock source for Wattager...just Voltage. If you can't figure out how to NOT butcher your stock head unit when putting in an LOC, step AWAY from the car and admit that you're a brainless knuckle dragger.

Give me a few weeks. I'll throw some pictures of my NE-774V from Navone Engineering installed. I've got a fun little project going on where I am absolutely keeping my stock integrated source unit. Got a free little MTX 5302 amplifier that I repaired to get it working as good as new, got some Peerless tweeters, some "unnamed" mids that I'll reveal later that are potentially very good, I've got a custom passive being put together right now with very good components (i.e.-foil inductors and quality caps)...this with almost 10 Volts coming off the stock source and LOC.

My goal with this is to prove that you can indeed have world class sound with less expensive and sometimes scrounged components. Eventually I will add a single Dayton 10" in a sealed enclosure and a D class amplifier to push it. I'm trying to decide whether it is in a wall by the rear seats or if it'll be in a glassed enclosure off to the side of the trunk.

After the base is established, the components will improve. The first improvement will be to replace the MTX with a small used two channel McIntosh.

...it never ends does it Taln?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
well, im gonna guess where he is going with this is: for under $100us you can get a head unit that will have RCA outputs, and even on deck power will sound 2x as good as sound comming from a cheapo factory unit. its not like you are dealing with the premium sound system in a 100k+ dollar luxury sedan where the stereo components are half decent and the deck is worth something. this is a 10k dollar entry level sedan. if it comes with a stereo it will be CHEAP.

so, not only will the sound quality be worse than even a cheap cd reciever...you are screwing with the factory unit, which if you botch, would be a small fortune from toyota...then you will have to get a cd reciever anyway.

not to mention...but i wonder what the impedance is off the factory deck assuming the amp isnt internal...either way i doubt the effort involved will be worth the blood sweat and tears. i value my time off work more than i value my time at work...and if the time it would take to graft preamps to a factory deck at work rate is worth more than a cheap aftermarket deck...you can bet i am not screwing with factory head units on my spare time.
You should do that jeremy!

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, i never said it was impossible...my question is why bother? unless you are in love with the factory head unit...if you have to ask if its possible to even add a amplifier and did not know there were $20 line converters at wallyworld and almost every electronics store that sells car stuff, im going to guess you dont have soddering experience, and what would be a fast job for someone with experience...well, its gonna take you a while and there is a good chance you are going to damage something in the process.

i learned to sodder on broken crap my parents threw out, not on the stereo of a brand new car...even if it is a cheap stereo i prefer to take them out and set them aside in case i ever re sell the car.

to recap...yes, it can be done...is it worth it when you can get a quality cd changer with controls and pre outs for around 100 bucks??? uhhhh...not to me.

didnt say it couldnt be done and for certain people (with advanced experience in stereos but no cash at all to spend) that it wouldnt be worth the effort...just agreeing with talnlnky in the "you wouldnt want to" statement.