Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
psx180sx

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr.
Any one here know if Drag wheels/rims from Discount tire are any good?

I've seen these on the discount tire site. They have some pretty interesting styles kinda like knock-off rotas. I've been out of the car scene for a while & I don't ever recall the Drag brand. Are they of decent quality? Are they light?
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Decent wheels. Great prices. Excellent vendor.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I've been using Drag DR-9's for about 2 years now and they work great, although my 215/35R17 nitto neogen tires weigh 40lbs each with the wheel so they weigh 7lbs ea. more than stock. I've gotten many complements though on my wheels.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Decent wheels. Great prices. Excellent vendor.
Agreed. Although they're not ultra-expensive, forged, high end wheels like Mr. Russelt3hPirate likes, they are definitely a good price and will be fine everyday wheels.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I have DR17's on mine - no issues and they look great. If you find something you like, buy it.

If you are going to be racing your car, then you might consider going for wheels built for such a thing, but if you want nice looking wheels for everyday use then you won't have a problem.

And before some of you make the comment - no I am not going to drop it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG00951.jpg (276.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I have had some Drag wheels on my LB for about 100K miles and they are just fine, I hear what you are saying Pirate, but sometimes these "knock offs" do the job, just as good as the originals, plus I think all four wheels have some curb rash on them and i did not worry one bit, but when I had my Volk wheels (on my mazda) and one got curbed, I think i cried.

So to the OP Drag wheels are GOOD, and you can get em for a fraction of the price the more high end wheels.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Altitude, those Drag wheels look great!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
AHAHAHA are you serious?

should we avoid any negative comments about any vendor b/c the moderators <3 them for some reason?

hahhaha.

good to know the moderators agenda.

EDIT: if drag wheels were worth anything they'd design their own wheels instead of stealing it from other people.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
AHAHAHA are you serious?

should we avoid any negative comments about any vendor b/c the moderators <3 them for some reason?

hahhaha.

good to know the moderators agenda.

EDIT: if drag wheels were worth anything they'd design their own wheels instead of stealing it from other people.
Nope, we should share our knowledge of wheels, explain carefully why we feel a certain brand is not worth the money, and give an informed suggestion.

And, we should have an understanding that not everyone can afford original, high-end wheels, or even that some don't really care about the manufacturing processes and metals used and whatnot, in the search for a nice, affordable wheel for their car.

Being able to do the above, and not being a high-and-mighty ass about it, is the key to being a constructive and respected forum member

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
as for the "moderator's agenda", well sure, these companies pay good money to advertise their products on our site, and as such, don't deserve to be treated like they're out to rip you off...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Nope, we should share our knowledge of wheels, explain carefully why we feel a certain brand is not worth the money, and give an informed suggestion.

And, we should have an understanding that not everyone can afford original, high-end wheels, or even that some don't really care about the manufacturing processes and metals used and whatnot, in the search for a nice, affordable wheel for their car.

Being able to do the above, and not being a high-and-mighty ass about it, is the key to being a constructive and respected forum member
high and mighty? That's me, all high and mighty.

I'm not the one deleting posts that don't make your sponsors happy.

Either way back on topic.

Define "high-end", $165 a wheel isn't "high-end". $500 a wheel is "high-end".
(for a 15" wheel).

A $75 wheel is "low-end". (again 15" wheel).

I'm not going to "assume" everyone is living in the poor house, I'm going to assume that everyone is willing to afford a decent set of wheels. I find it more offensive that people think I'm poor b/c I bought a Yaris then someone assuming I can afford nice wheels. Plus it's easy for someone to say "My budget for wheels/tires = $xxxx". Knowing that eliminates all need for assumptions.

Would anyone still suggest Drag wheels if someone had a budget of $1500 for wheels/tires? No. Especially if we're talking 15s.

Why are you assuming that people don't care about quality? The OP didn't express anything about his Quality preference, for all we know he's lived under a rock for the last 25 years and googled "Wheels", maybe he does care about quality (he is asking if they are good).

Drag wheels are crap b/c they blatantly steal designs and are overly heavy. For a little extra money it is possible to have the original wheel that is lighter and of better construction.

Discount Tire is good to work with though, (great for Hubcentric rings).

Depending on the knock off you're looking at it is always a good idea to look at the original at least for comparison sake on price/availability/sizing.

Drag wheels aren't worth $1 per wheel so spending $75 a piece is a waste, save up an extra car payment or 3 and get the originals.

Also if you do want to go with lower quality knock offs be sure to search around, as shown prior to the deleted posts fiasco there are places selling the knock offs for the same price as the originals. If you're going to buy crap you shouldn't pay alot of $$ for it. (I've got all the posts saved if some is interested in seeing that particular bit of research).

OP, what is your budget for wheels/tires? are you concerned with quality when buying wheels?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
as for the "moderator's agenda", well sure, these companies pay good money to advertise their products on our site, and as such, don't deserve to be treated like they're out to rip you off...
guess it's ok for them to rip off designs, though.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

welcome to the world of the automobile aftermarket, don't act surprised

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
welcome to the world of the automobile aftermarket, don't act surprised
Trust me, I'm not surprised. Doesn't mean we have to sit idly while these knock off companies blatantly steal designs.

especially when the price difference is negligible and people may not be aware they are of lesser quality.

wasn't it easier for me just to say "they are crap" and just leave it at that? haha.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

nope, cuz that just made you look like yet another opinionated internet tough guy. Lay out the facts clearly, and people will pay attention.

I don't condone intellectual property theft either, but then again, are Rays, Work, Racing Hart and so on actually doing anything solid to stop it? We could have a lengthy philosophical/psychological discussion of why knockoff wheels may or may not be as bad as, for example, knockoff watches or designer wear, but this is neither the time or place for that.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
nope, cuz that just made you look like yet another opinionated internet tough guy. Lay out the facts clearly, and people will pay attention.

I don't condone intellectual property theft either, but then again, are Rays, Work, Racing Hart and so on actually doing anything solid to stop it? We could have a lengthy philosophical/psychological discussion of why knockoff wheels may or may not be as bad as, for example, knockoff watches or designer wear, but this is neither the time or place for that.
Legally who knows what Rays, Work, and the like are doing behind the scenes.

Although it's tough to attack a company that is housed in a country that doesn't necessarily enforce the laws.

Once again, my point of the whole argument is know what you're getting into, know your options, know who makes the real deal, know why you're choosing the wheel you're choosing.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

agreed

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
Once again, my point of the whole argument is know what you're getting into, know your options, know who makes the real deal, know why you're choosing the wheel you're choosing.
For you, these are all important concerns that motivate and ultimately dictate your purchase; however, for most members interested in upgrading wheels, they simply want something nice looking that fits properly at a good price. So, they search out reputable vendors that sell inexpensive cast wheels... that in fact meet or exceed international manufacturing standards. They invest a few bucks to personalize their cars, and the wheels perform well and are extremely reliable under everday driving conditions, and everyone is happy... except apparently you.
Closed Thread