Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
dobsona

Drives: Yaris, Lexus
Audible alarm when lights left on

Is it possible to either increase the volume of the alarm that sounds when the headlights are left on or to fit an auxillary buzzer by tapping into the wiring circuit, without the necessity of removing too much of the dashboard? Any help or advice would be appreciated - especially with a wiring diagram.

Last edited by dobsona; 02-18-2009 at 06:22 AM.
dobsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
wow, I suppose the easiest solution would be to find the buzzer and just swap it for a more powerful unit?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the piezo is built into the gauge cluster IIRC.. you're pretty much screwed..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by kimona; 02-16-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The buzzer is easily accessible on the back side of the PCB for the cluster. It is a 5VDC piezoelectric buzzer. You could look for a replacement one with a higher dB rating, or with a different tone that might be more noticeable by her.

Another option would be to relocate the buzzer and use a panel mount one (remove the existing and run two wires from its connection points on the PCB to the panel mount one), so the output would be directly at her, instead of buried in the cluster.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
She must be really deaf. My best friend has a particularly bad case of hard of hearing (problems with tonality), and even he'll notice it AFTER he's stepped out of the car...

Tell her to pay attention to her dash when she steps out. Or don't let her drive. I've threatened the gf's driving priviledges a few times, and that straightened her out in a hurry.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I never figured out why car mfgrs dont follow Subaru and have the lights turn off automatically when you shut the engine down.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I never figured out why car mfgrs dont follow Subaru and have the lights turn off automatically when you shut the engine down.
most toyotas DO have that actually...
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
She must be really deaf. My best friend has a particularly bad case of hard of hearing (problems with tonality), and even he'll notice it AFTER he's stepped out of the car...

Tell her to pay attention to her dash when she steps out. Or don't let her drive. I've threatened the gf's driving priviledges a few times, and that straightened her out in a hurry.

There are people that hear pretty good but certain 'tones' do not register as loudly. You say you 'threatened your gf's driving priviledges and straightnend her out....wow..hard to believe in this day and age any woman would feel threatened.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
most toyotas DO have that actually...

I sure do miss that from my Subaru Forrester.

That may actually be an easier and better fix for this issue. I have some extra automotive relays laying around to experiment with. I'll figure it out, then post a DIY...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I sure do miss that from my Subaru Forrester.

That may actually be an easier and better fix for this issue. I have some extra automotive relays laying around to experiment with. I'll figure it out, then post a DIY...
you'd need a latching relay but it should be able to be done pretty easily..

that or grab the signal IN wire for the parking/headlights, and have it tie into the IGN circuit instead of the BATT circuit.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
you'd need a latching relay but it should be able to be done pretty easily..

that or grab the signal IN wire for the parking/headlights, and have it tie into the IGN circuit instead of the BATT circuit.
Looking at the EWD, I'm thinking that I'll use IGN as the input to the relay coil, then cut the ground (ED) wire to the headlight switch and insert the normally open relay contacts. The ground looks like the best "common", as it is used for the feed to the headlight relay as well as the headlight indicator on the combination meter.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Or, get her in the habit of checking every time she leaves the car. As I run my Jeep without doors most of the time, I've disabled the alarm that tells me I've left the keys in the ignition or the lights are on. It took a little while, but you finally get used to checking them. Maybe a sticky somewhere as a reminder in the interim; but once you get used to checking every time you stop, you no longer have a problem.

And, I too am partially deaf from my military service, and I can still hear the alarm. She must be pretty deaf, how much do you yell at her?!?

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Tamago

Quote:
the piezo is built into the gauge cluster IIRC.. you're pretty much screwed..
Quote:

what, mine gets deleted but his gets to stay?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
dobsona

Thumbs up

Thank you! I am NOT likely to be 'straightened out' as it is my car - and I am the one who always manages to find the keys when they have been mislaid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

There are people that hear pretty good but certain 'tones' do not register as loudly. You say you 'threatened your gf's driving priviledges and straightnend her out....wow..hard to believe in this day and age any woman would feel threatened.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsona View Post
Thank you! I am NOT likely to be 'straightened out' as it is my car - and I am the one who always manages to find the keys when they have been mislaid...
so can you manage to turn off the headlights then? ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
dobsona

Thumbs down

Quote:

Prejudiced or what?!! SHE set up the question
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
LMAO =D

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
dobsona

Wink

Quote:
so can you manage to turn off the headlights then? ;)
When my 'little reminders', like the piece of pipecleaner on the doorhandle, work... but then there is always the time when someone distracts me when I am in the middle of my 'turning everything off' ritual...