Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
CrazedEpidemic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Air filter

I came from the dealership and they told me I need an air filter change and its going to cost me about $95, that includes parts and labor.

Isn't that a little to expensive to change an air filter?
CrazedEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Did you do it? Holy crap!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
CrazedEpidemic

Of course not. I looked at the guy like he was joking and I chuckled a little. I told him maybe another day lol.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
My eyes just lit up when I saw $95

Good filter shouldn't cost you more than $15 and 10 seconds of your time to install it yourself

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I would be changing dealerships quick.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
CrazedEpidemic

One time I went into the dealership for a routine oil change and they initially quoted my $150 for a simple oil change. When I saw that I told them "Are you kidding me?" they then lowered it to $35 which is still expensive.

Maybe they were trying to charge me $95 for the filter change because I received a $0 coupon for a Spring check up which included oil/filter change, top off all fluids, rotate tires, and check air conditioner. So they wanted to make some money off of it, I dunno.

I saw on a couple of sites for some filters from $11-$40. Is there a type any of you recommend?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
$24 canadian.. and takes 2 minutes to put on.. maybe under a minute. but i like to take my time...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Giobatera

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I would say, go ahead and get some K&N for about $45.00. It's the best one out there.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Find a K+N drop-in and pay only once for the life of the car. Likely under US$50.00.
Keep the old OEM filter to use during the periodic servicing of the K+N.
K+N suggest a service at 50,000 - 100,000 miles for regular on-road vehicles. Much more for off-road or dusty conditions. Once a year suits me fine (~25,000 miles) considering the road salt and sand we have during and immediately after winter.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

only down side with k&n is it makes ur oil dirty faster.. i do have one and thats just what i notice compare to the toyota filter which i believe filters alot better..ofcourse more restriction on air coming in.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Hey Crazed.....is the dealer you went to Toyota of Manhattan? I got my HB there and then drove to California.

The finance guy there sold me the ext. warrenty, telling me it included all services for 50K miles....once I got to Cali. I found out he was full of Sh*t and that he had "moved on to bigger and better things" like 3 days after I bought the car.

There is nothing on this car that costs more that $60 bucks and 45 min. to change or inspect in the first 60K miles.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
only down side with k&n is it makes ur oil dirty faster.. i do have one and thats just what i notice compare to the toyota filter which i believe filters alot better..ofcourse more restriction on air coming in.
Marcus,
At what interval are you changing your oil? Oil filter brand/model always the same?

I've used K&N filters on several vehicles over the past 30 years and have never had your experience. I've changed my oil at 5000 kl. intervals (always full synthetic) on past vehicles and frankly it comes out looking almost new, even on my 285,000+ kilometer '95 Talon TSI.
Running it to 8000 kl. between Yaris changes (with full synthetic) and it's nearly spotless coming out (using OEM oil filter). Am considering further extending my change intervals to do my wallet and the environment a favour.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
intake air filter cost 12$ at the dealer, while the CABIN air filter cost 34$.

I think some dealer over charge this, apparently it cost 60$ to have it changed at my dealer.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
My dealership is also real proud of their prices. Notice how much GO Toyota wants to change the cabin air filter.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Marcus,
At what interval are you changing your oil? Oil filter brand/model always the same?

I've used K&N filters on several vehicles over the past 30 years and have never had your experience. I've changed my oil at 5000 kl. intervals (always full synthetic) on past vehicles and frankly it comes out looking almost new, even on my 285,000+ kilometer '95 Talon TSI.
Running it to 8000 kl. between Yaris changes (with full synthetic) and it's nearly spotless coming out (using OEM oil filter). Am considering further extending my change intervals to do my wallet and the environment a favour.
every 5000km...!! thats too soon for me other wise i need to change this every 3 to 4months.. 8000kms/6 months as per toyota specs.. i have to do mine every 5 months..
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
ROFL wow. Anyone want to open a dealership? I'm in the wrong business.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
every 5000km...!! thats too soon for me other wise i need to change this every 3 to 4months.. 8000kms/6 months as per toyota specs.. i have to do mine every 5 months..
5000 Kl was back in the day when I was inclined to over-maintain my toys.
The 8000 Kl Toyota spec. is surely for dino-oil. Synthetics should have a longer interval. Mine mileage is heavy on the highway side. Low % of short trip, cold running, stop and start, city work. Twice daily 35-50 minute commutes for the most part.
Also I do my own changes. Buy the lub. when on sale. Buy my filters by the case and save. I get about 2.5 changes done myself for the cost of one visit to a quick-lube shop.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedEpidemic View Post
I came from the dealership and they told me I need an air filter change and its going to cost me about $95, that includes parts and labor.

Isn't that a little to expensive to change an air filter?
they charge 60 bucks plus tax here to change the in cabin filter, includes the filter
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote