Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Belt noise?

This morning, when I started the car there was a quick squeak noise. Don't know if it had something to do with the rain we had(it rained it's ass off last night, and cooler morning than we have had) or if it is something wearing out within the belt area. It only made the noise for about 5-7 seconds, then went away, car seemed to run good. It did make this noise before, but not as loud and long (1 second ) in the cooler weather. Any thoughts please?
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
well...sounds like some time for basic maintenance.

get a new one. it's already been burnt. i'd replace it, and for 10-20 bux it's not gonna kill ya
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
the rain does funny things to the yaris....
I left mine sitting in the rain for 3 days and it took a few trys to start it up.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
yea rain and my yaris do not mix at all, after it rains the next day i start my car it starts up fine its just when it does start up it sounds like it died for .5 seconds then it goes va-vroooooooooom!!!!!!!! up to close to 3rpm then drops down to 2rpms in 3 seconds.......yea its rained so much i counted it =P but otherwise i think its normal really the belt gets wet and the pullies try to catch it when theres water between them, it happens to me but rarely, well also i have nst pulley set too
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aothachos View Post
yea rain and my yaris do not mix at all, after it rains the next day i start my car it starts up fine its just when it does start up it sounds like it died for .5 seconds then it goes va-vroooooooooom!!!!!!!! up to close to 3rpm then drops down to 2rpms in 3 seconds.......yea its rained so much i counted it =P but otherwise i think its normal really the belt gets wet and the pullies try to catch it when theres water between them, it happens to me but rarely, well also i have nst pulley set too
The owner's manual says that you aren't supposed to touch the throttle when it's starting. Possibly it's vroooming because you're expecting it to be hard to start and are stepping on the throttle unconsciously?
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
When i installed a new belt for my NST underdrive pulley, my mechanic said if it made any squeaks when starting up i would have to tighten my belt.

Im guessing the same would apply to the noise you may be hearing if its the belt. It is just slipping and getting abit loose, but once it warms up it grips better.

You could try tightening the belt first if you have much tightening left. You can see how much more you can tighten on the silver/grey leaver with the bolt just above all the pulleys. Otherwise as someone said early you should just replace the belt they are pretty cheap.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The belt should be adjusted. Feel under the belt and if it's cracked or brittle, then it should be replaced.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
To those saying the belt needs to be replaced ... I'm not so sure. I JUST got my belt replaced and re-tightened, all was fine for a couple months and now the 'squeel' is back. Not sure what it is. Could be a bearing or something on the pully.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Have somebody check the tension, and I doubt the rain was the problem...just had 22 straight days of rain and never heard a peep out of my belt during start up. If tension is okay, replace. Don't over-tighten...guessing 100lbs should be about right, and 125lbs max? 125lbs-150lbs might cause premature wear in Alt, W/P, etc...new belt will need to be readjusted within the first few hundred miles.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Belt seems to be tight enough , I will take it in, if I hear the noise again. Car has 25,000 miles on it.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
If it just for a couple of seconds in the morning when cold, not a big deal, as long as it's not cracking. If it is slipping when accelerating once running then your loose.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
Aothachos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimond View Post
When i installed a new belt for my NST underdrive pulley, my mechanic said if it made any squeaks when starting up i would have to tighten my belt.

Im guessing the same would apply to the noise you may be hearing if its the belt. It is just slipping and getting abit loose, but once it warms up it grips better.

You could try tightening the belt first if you have much tightening left. You can see how much more you can tighten on the silver/grey leaver with the bolt just above all the pulleys. Otherwise as someone said early you should just replace the belt they are pretty cheap.
no i never touch the throttle lol i just start it and thats it, i never touch it
Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
If it just for a couple of seconds in the morning when cold, not a big deal, as long as it's not cracking. If it is slipping when accelerating once running then your loose.
LOL. worst. advice. ever.

fix things BEFORE they put you in deadly situations...

my oil light only comes on when its really hot out and I drive it hard, should I wait til I snap a rod to get it taken care of?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
your a moron
Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
your a moron
Sorry, I'll post in bold and magenta, and misuse your/you're from now on so people think I'm super smart.

Seriously though, if its making noise its out of adjustment - why wait for it to snap or fall off?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Sorry, I'll post in bold and magenta, and misuse your/you're from now on so people think I'm super smart.

Seriously though, if its making noise its out of adjustment - why wait for it to snap or fall off?
And why wait for the micro-v ribs to develope a glazed surface that doesn't grip too well, because of the slipping at start up?

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Aothachos
Banned

take a pair of scissors and cut the belt, take out the belt, oil up ur pullies and then thats it, the noise should be gone =)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #18
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Easy on the name calling.

But yes, a squealing belt is a problem - a correctly tensioned belt will not squeal. The belt runs your water pump and alternator, so your car could fail in a bad way if the water pump goes.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote