Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
Talking So Close!!!!

I just filled up my tank and my automatic Yaris sedan and I pulled off a new personal best!

464.5 miles on 9.442 gallons of gas for 49.19 MPG!

My previous best was 47.76 MPG and that was the last tank, with 47.37 the two tanks ago. It was on my normal commute, which I am lucky enough to have mostly highway. I do the usual driving under 55 mph and staying close to 50 mph with no A/C and slow acceleration. The one major change I made this tank however was a new technique (new for me.) Neutral coasting was brought in this tank, and it clearly helped, (thanks Voodoo22 for being the automatic transmission trailblazer!) The last 3 tanks have all been the same commute with roughly similar temperatures filled up at the same gas pump. The only difference was neutral coasting really, (although I did run into some intense traffic during this tank...)

Just felt like sharing because I am extremely excited! I think with a more perfected neutral coasting technique on this next tank and hopefully less traffic I will be able to break 50 mpg! Who says automatic transmissions can't play the FE Game?!?!