Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Brad D

Drives: 07 Yaris RS 3dr
Just ordered some sound dampening stuff

Well I'm going to fix the one thing I dont like about this car.. the road noise at 100kph.. so I ordered 80sq.ft of Damplifier Pro and 36sq.ft of Luxury Liner Pro from here www.secondskinaudio.com

I will take pics of the install and will test the db's before and after (we have a meter at work)

I hope I can get them down.. cause this will add a bit of weight to the car.. while im in the doors and rear area im also going to upgrade the speakers to 6.5" ones.
Brad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
As one who has done this with FatMat you should like the results, I know that it got rid of a lot of noise and really helped the tunes hit without alot of raddle. My only complaint is that I haven't done the front part of the floorplan and the roof. These are the only parts I hear sound getting in now.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Brad D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc87 View Post
My only complaint is that I haven't done the front part of the floorplan and the roof. These are the only parts I hear sound getting in now.
where did you stop on the floor pan? The guy said that the roof was not that big of a deal....

To pull the head liner do you need to pull the lower plastic, or just the uppers? some cars one needs to come off before the other. Cause I dont think 80sq.ft will cover the roof as well.. so if it gets to me I might pop off the liner and get the roof as well.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
floors, firewall, and wheel wells are the bigest concern for road noise. There isn't much road noise from the doors/sides or roof on this car. If you aren't getting into audio installs, then i'd skip the doors/sides, and honestly, roof will only be a concern when it hails or rains VERY VERY hard.

SQcomp was doing a very good deadening job, tho he had to put it on hold cause he got called up to leave the country for a year or so (if you get my drift).

Others have done good amounts of deadening too... somewhere I have posted some pics of my install. While you're at it... you might consider doing the dash. I just started to have dash rattle 28,000mi and tho its not all the time, its annoying when I do... I lowered my tire psi to 40 (from 45) and most of it went away... if I ran 32 I'm sure just about all of my rattles would be gone.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

oh yeah... SS is good stuff... I've a raammat guy simply cause its cheaper, tho I had a friend put down $1,000 in SS product in a Hilander Hybrid he had... quietest car i've ever ridden in by far. Sad thing he traded it away and got a BMW sports car... oh well.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
On the floorpan I stoped at a little past the bench, And I could of doubled up on it on the hatch due to my sub but I ran out with 50sq ft.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Brad D

Thanks for the info guys. I hope to use up all 80sq.ft.. then the liner on just the floors.. or should I put some in other areas? If i have extra Damplifier Pro should I install two layers on the wheel wells?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
it helps big time no matter what brand you go with !!! i have raamatt the price was right :)

pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

1st layer will make the biggest difference.. going 2 layers will help, but the more you put on the more it becomes diminishing returns. Yeah, go 2 layers on the wheels for sure... thats where a lot of the vibration is introduced in the first place.