Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
xkejjer

Drives: Vitz
Oil spray from dipstick

Hello to all :)

I am looking to buy a used Japan import Vitz, year 2006 with the 1.3L engine, automatic transmission. It has around 50,000 kilometers. Took it to my local mechanic for a check up and he suggested against buying it, because when the dipstick is removed, you can see quite a lot of oil being sprayed from the opened hole.. he said it could be a combustion problem, and that the engine could need a re-bore soon.

Got a second opinion from a friend of mine who was also not too keen on it. Got a third opinion from a guy who works as a mechanic at a toyota dealership who said it was normal to see some spray, but not as much as we were seeing on this engine. I checked out another 1.3L from the same dealer and it had the same issue, but the dealer assured me it was normal for this engine to do so and that it was not a sign of any problem at all. Car comes with a 1 year warranty from the dealer, although they are not toyota approved.

I have driven both cars mentioned extensively and they feel fine.. but I'm no mechanic. What would you make of all this?
xkejjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
For the oil to spray out of the dipstck tube it would have to be under pressure as its a long way for the oil to travel up that dipstick tube,maybe the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is plugged up. My 08 1.5liter will run all day with the dipstick removed and not lose any oil.I'd avoid this car.
Welcome to the forum..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
xkejjer

Drives: Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the oil to spray out of the dipstck tube it would have to be under pressure as its a long way for the oil to travel up that dipstick tube,maybe the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is plugged up. My 08 1.5liter will run all day with the dipstick removed and not lose any oil.I'd avoid this car.
Welcome to the forum..
Thanks :) I'll be looking at a few more, but really hard to find a black 1.3L, so may go for a 1.0L engine. Test drove one and did not really see any difference between the two, besides I'm not looking for performance.
xkejjer is offline   Reply With Quote