Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
How would you rate the auto trans in the Yaris?

I'm just curious what others opinions are on the Yaris transmission? I'd say it's decently smooth but it seems sometimes like it's a little rough/chuggish when it shifts gears at certain rpms.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I think it's because of the DBW. The ECU is adaptive and if you drive slow the shift point may lag and the throttle seems indecisive. I feel it too sometimes. Drive spirited and the ECU will adapt.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Attere

Drives: 2007 Yaris S, 3 Door.
With how I went from a '76 F100 to the Yaris... >_> I love the auto trans. Lol.

It's pretty smooth seeing as the car isn't a luxury vehicle..
Attere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I drove one on a rental. Rough and chuggish is an apt description. I found it a lot slower and clumsier than my 5 spd. I wouldn't own a car with as low horsepowerwith an automatic, but with a 5spd. its just fine. Sorry AT owners.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
gfx3d

Drives: FORD
it not so slow ,but its ok for moderate drivers
gfx3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I find the auto does an excellant job. I find the car spirited when I want to drive it that way. I bought the car for its economy and low operating costs. I think those of you you try to liken it to more expensive car and/or sport car are missing the point of the car, good basic inexpensive transportation. If you don't like the way it handles, ride or its cost move on to something else.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I like the car fine...with a 5 speed, Oh yeah and with a TRD suspension, installed for what the autotranny cost
Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
good basic inexpensive transportation.
I agree...based on the overall design of the rest of the car, I find the AT to be just great!!! It's pretty smart, too!!
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
dinamix

Drives: magntic grey
selling point for the auto was
-better resale value
-GF or friends can be drive it when im drunk(most people i know dont drive stick)

cons
-slow
-slow
-boring

overall its great..if i wanted a 5 spd i woulda bought a sports car
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I don't believe it was the intent of the OP to start an A/T vs M/T discussion. He is looking for input of the auto tranny in the Yaris, relative to that of other manufacturer makes and models.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Was the originator talking about an auto or a manual? Its hard to tell. I don't want to get into this argument again, a lot of good folks drive ATs and really like them and I really don't like to offend them. With me however, if you can't shift it, I don't want it. I also hear people bitch about manual not going into gear properly, but with the exception a few very rare shifting errors (which I consider to be my fault), I have no problem with this mine goes into gear just fine. I guess all I'm saying is ,folks ,which would you rather drive a near Minicooper, or a much more dependable cousin to an Aveo? Forgive me if I offend, as it is not my intent and I know my wants and needs are not everybodies wants and needs.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I love mine, but it is definitely not as smooth as our Honda minivan. However, it definitely shifts better than my Jeep.

The ability to shift when I want, or just let the transmission do it itself, is what I love the most. As I've said before, you can always manually shift the auto, but you can never get the manual to shift automatically!

The bottom line is the Yaris AT is far from perfect, but it works pretty well and I would give it an 8 out of a 10.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
sammy

Drives: driving a yaris S
I think the tranny shifts fine. For a small economical car it wants to get to the 4 gear quickly and keep the R's low for more economy. If you feel the trans. shifts to sluggish or to much 3/4, 4/3 put it in the 3 position vs the D position just be careful not to over rev. it. This will help in city driving and keep performance there just remember when it screams shift me, bump it to the D position.
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
I agree...based on the overall design of the rest of the car, I find the AT to be just great!!! It's pretty smart, too!!
Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
xtremesniper

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB RS
I think the auto transmission is fine. I like it. It has just enough kick to accelerate quickly (despite what most reviewers seem to say). My only problem with it is sometimes (as mentioned by someone else here as well) if you try to accelerate from a certain rpm or gear, it seems slower to get up there than at other speeds. But pushing further down on the gas fixes that problem promptly. ;)

Again, unless they've changed something in the '09, I really don't get why people say the automatic has slow acceleration. It gets up there very quickly for this kind of economy car.
xtremesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I think it shifts too early. That's why I shift my AT by hand when I want to do spirited driving.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Remember, during warm up the AT won't up shift to fourth and the ECU delays the up shift.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Mine was ok untill i put some 18's in it you can really tell the difrence when i put the stock wheel for winter so much faster, I would rather had gotten my self a manual but wife dont know how to drive it. Overall i like the AT.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote