Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Help with supercharger install.

I got a supercharger yay!!
Installed it without too much trouble thank to the translated manual and LtNoogies help. But I did face 1 huge problem that is preventing me from driving.
The pulley supplied is not spinning. This is the pulley that acts as the tensioner. Or when it does spin, it makes a really loud grind kind of whine sound. Really really loud. I tested the pulley out when it's tightened without the belt on and it spins just fine. Something is going on once I put tension on it. Just wondering if anybody came across this at all or know a solution.
Also is the pulley supposed to be kinda wiggly when just sitting on it's perch on the bracket? When the nut is tight on, everything is solid.

Rich
Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Make sure that pulley is aligned properly (check the spacing and angle of pulley to belt) so the belt feeds straight on to the smooth edge.

I have to always re-tension the my belt and if you leave the pulley loose at all it makes a pretty nasty noise. I'd suggest the long hex bolt used for positioning the pulley be adjusted FIRST... THEN tighten the 14mm nut on the pulley itself. If you do this backwards you end up only putting tension on the hex head bolt and not getting everything tightened back down.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
AznGouki
Metsu

Maybe I do have the pulley backwards...I thought about that but I'll go and check it out. I did use the biggest spacer and I did try adjusting the allen bolt with the 14mm nut tightened. I did notice that I couldn't add tension like that so I don't tighten the 14mm till afterwards.

The supercharger does spin and I do get power. Actually drove around ok but once I popped the hood open I noticed the belt is screwed up from the pulley not spinning which created a huge amount of heat.
I'm gonna have to buy a new belt and maybe I'll see if I can get a new pulley too. It really makes no sense why the pulley doesn't spin.
As I said, when I tested the pulley without the belt but the 14mm nut tightened, I can spin it with my hand easily but with belt tension, it just stalls there(if there is lack of tension) and grinds(if there is enough tension). Also brings up the question, how much tension should I put?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Look down at all your pulleys with a flashlight and make sure they are all in a straight line and that none of them are angled from the other. Also, make sure none of the pulleys are offset left or right too much from the others.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
AznGouki
Metsu

Ok I figured it out. A good nights rest restores the mind.
Anyways so the pulley was on backwards before. It could spin still so that wasn't the big problem. The problem was the bolt that hold the alternator to the bracket. It was out too far and when I lowered the pulley, the pulley would be tightened onto the bolt. That's why when it was fully torqued, it would not spin and when it did spin it would grind.
I took the spacer out and it has maybe .5mm of clearance so now everything is good. Another 35 Cad for a new belt and the lesson has been learned. When you're confused and can't figure out wtf is wrong, go to sleep and try again tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
LtNoogie

Well, tell us your impressions of driving a supercharged Yaris.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
AznGouki
Metsu

LtNoogie, I so would but I just got back home from work and my engine is full of oil. I don't know the source of where it is but I dunno how this happened. The thing is that, I didn't even have the supercharger on.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21830
I made a thread hoping someone could help. I need this fixed asap.

Oh I do have a question about the install in general. They provide you with a fuse. What are you supposed to do with it.

Rich

Last edited by AznGouki; 08-30-2009 at 05:27 AM.
AznGouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Morgan

you replace a fuse in the left-hand in engine bay fuse box - I think you are just replacing like a 15a with a new 20a or a 20a for a new 25a.... check the middle steps in the installation, it was in my yaris instructions that Garm sent me and in the xa/xb instructions?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
AznGouki
Metsu

The fuse part is not in my instructions. Which fuse is to be replaced?
http://www.blitzperformancesales.com...f/sc_yaris.pdf
These are the instructions I used. It's not obsolete is it?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Morgan

http://blitzperformancesales.com/tec...scionxb-xa.pdf

step 39 - Locate the main fuse box under the hood. Remove the Fuel Pump Relay (listed as AM2) It is located in the engine compartment on the driver's side shock tower. Replace the 15A fuse with the supplied 20A fuse.

Hopefully this will be your biggest problem, good luck with everything!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have edited instructions from kurokoma-kun that are better
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
The fuse part is not in my instructions. Which fuse is to be replaced?
http://www.blitzperformancesales.com...f/sc_yaris.pdf
These are the instructions I used. It's not obsolete is it?
That is the version I edited, should be the most up to date.

See page 21 (last page), step 38
for instructions on the fuse.

Bummer about the belt and crank issue. Hope it's resolved quickly and cheaply.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Look down at all your pulleys with a flashlight and make sure they are all in a straight line and that none of them are angled from the other. Also, make sure none of the pulleys are offset left or right too much from the others.
I had issues with my spacer as well. ended up using three washers instead of the supplied spacer.

AznGouki -- Any problems with the directions to make the gasket I told you about?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
What gasket kcalb siray?
the kit was missing the manifold gasket, and I was missing the same. I made my own from gasket material I had in my garage.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
AznGouki
Metsu

Kcalb, thanks for the quick PM man. I actually ended up finding the gaskets and everything. It was quite hidden. Having the box preopened by customs really threw me in a fritz and I thought they took some of my hardware. Anyways, just about to pick my car back up from the dealer after breaking the Crank seal so now I get to finally see what a supercharged yaris is all about.

Thanks for everybody's help. Oh thanks kurokoma. I searched the document with keyword "fuse" and did not find that last page. Strange but I will follow that last step.

Rich
Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
LtNoogie

Did the dealer fix your car for free even with the new pulleys and supercharger?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Good question.
He said in another thread it was like 260 or 280 canadian, not sure what that is in USD now
Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
yeah I seen that KK thanks though. How is your own little world doing?
spinning dizzily