Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Rear Sway LINK BRACE

Ok, I know the topic of sway bars has been done to death. I live in Thailand and finding a decently priced sway bar is impossible. I'm looking at spending USD$400 for a sway, minimum.

I found an alternative. . . I'm not sure if it's the real deal or a copy, but it's definitely a bargain at approximately USD$100 or 3k Baht.

Here's the item:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...7-p-47147.html

You can zoom in for bigger pictures. It attaches to the lower spring/torsion bar assembly and should theoretically do the same thing a sway bar does. My fear is that the way it works, it's going to apply a bending pressure on the bar, rather than a twisting pressure that sways normally encounter. I don't know if this will make the bar subject to snapping under heavy loads. Also I fear that those pivoting links are going to all but neutralize (or heavily minimize) the dampening of sway and body roll. The whole idea of a sway bar is to be stiff. . .

What do you guys think?
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Not a swaybar. I've seen that one before, really... it's not much of anything. The pivot points will allow the axle to twist and not add to roll resistance in any way. It simply keeps the hubs fixed at the same distance apart, which isn't something I've ever heard of a Yaris having a problem with.

How much is shipping from US > Thailand? Garm will sell you a 19mm rear swaybar for $135.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
djct_watt

Shipping to Thailand is a pain... Tricky customs and taxation, as well as an unreliable postal system makes for packages getting lost easily... I'd love to order from abroad, but I'd rather not risk it.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I think I'd rather have someone fabricate something for me, or modify a similar sway bar from another vehicle. Our mounts are really simple (flat plate with 2 holes), so a similar-stifness bar with dimensions that don't hit anything would be pretty easy to modify. Are you sure you can't get a TRD bar in thailand?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
djct_watt

Not unless I want to spend a TON of cash. . . I have a couple other sources to check out. But yeah, this sway "link brace" is a last resort. . . I'm just strapped for cash at this point so I have to limit my options. I sunk a ton of money into the car (taxes here are killer) and I just don't have that much left to play with for mods. Worst case scenario, I'll just have to wait.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I say fabricate it, or modify an existing like ozmdd said.. if you have some plans (maybe buy them from someone on a single use basis?) you could probably get away with it for a couple hundred, maybe even just weld something ugly together...
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm looking at spending USD$400 for a sway, minimum.
No, it's not.

$134.95 UR 19mm sway bar
$078.00 shipping USPS Priority.

= $212.95 delivered.

Quote:
Shipping to Thailand is a pain... Tricky customs and taxation, as well as an unreliable postal system makes for packages getting lost easily... I'd love to order from abroad, but I'd rather not risk it.
Not the way I do it. Claim as a gift, claim low value, and leave out the invoice. I ship to Thailand all the time, have had one package in 30 or so not get there, and that one was my bad on the address.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Ok, I know the topic of sway bars has been done to death. I live in Thailand and finding a decently priced sway bar is impossible. I'm looking at spending USD$400 for a sway, minimum.

I found an alternative. . . I'm not sure if it's the real deal or a copy, but it's definitely a bargain at approximately USD$100 or 3k Baht.

Here's the item:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...7-p-47147.html

You can zoom in for bigger pictures. It attaches to the lower spring/torsion bar assembly and should theoretically do the same thing a sway bar does. My fear is that the way it works, it's going to apply a bending pressure on the bar, rather than a twisting pressure that sways normally encounter. I don't know if this will make the bar subject to snapping under heavy loads. Also I fear that those pivoting links are going to all but neutralize (or heavily minimize) the dampening of sway and body roll. The whole idea of a sway bar is to be stiff. . .

What do you guys think?
I have that same gtspec brace installed along with a few other suspension modds and I can tell you that this brace really does make differnce in the overall feel of the car and was worth the buying for me . If I had to choose between the gtspec brace and a rear sway bar , I would go with the sway bar ..
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Let me know if I can help you. I will be landing in BKK on Jan26.
Peace