Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
dmfang

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
K&N Typhoon install

Hi all -

I've got an 07 Yaris liftback that I've done little more than general maintenance to and now I'm looking to amp it up.

I read the reviews on the K&N filters and i'm thinking that might be a good thing to start with. How difficult is the Typhoon to install? Is it something that a mechanical novice like me could even attempt, or should I stick with a basic air filter?
dmfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
hey buddy

i have the K&N intake on , its great setup , sounds awesome , gives much better throttle response and a few more horses.

its really easy to install , just follow the instructions word for word. one thing i noticed on my car , not sure if its the same for the US cars , but dont disconnect the battery , as it may cause a cell when it starts up and doesnt find OEM flow or wont idle properly and cut out. i had to start the car with the OEM intake on , then after the idling settled i re-installed the K&N without disconnecting the battery and it was 100%.
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
what i actually did on mine is machine out the metal plenum in the intake , its the piece of metal in the intake that give the "typhoon effect" and is suppose to add power , but i found that it actually causes a slight delay in throttle response from the engine , so now mine is like one long ram tube with a filter on the end.

the short ram does suffer a bit from heatsoak under traffic driving on hot warm days , but once you are moving , its 100% again ,im actually trying to figure out a way to get more cold air into the filter. but the short ram i think is perfect , no chance of water in the intake.
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
dmfang

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
awesome - thanks!
now i think its time to hit the almighty web in search of a good price.

how long did the install take?
dmfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The AFE intake is an awesome alternative choice. You'll find many very positive reviews on this forum.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/aFe...L-51-11302.htm

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I, too, have the Typhoon, and really like it. You can check out the review I wrote about it here:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...ntake-for.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Yarisaur

Drives: 07 Yaris
What would be the best filter to get with the AFE?? they offer two different ones
Yarisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Yarisaur

Drives: 07 Yaris
Anybody?
Yarisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Are you set on a short ram style? You got a lot of heat soak from the engine being that the intake sits in the bay. Cold air versions usually provide more cold air and usally give you more hp gain. not offense but because you sound new to this kind of thing you might want to look around more. California is hot man you might want that slightly cool lower air instead of the burning hot air inside your engine bay lol.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I don't need a CAI.
One day my Scanguage showed 21F for the incoming air! Beat that, K&N.
Save money, go someplace where they have natural cold air....
Winter CAN be good!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
^^ yea i was aiming that towards op who lives in cali.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
dmfang - if you want true cold air induction, go with a Fujita F5 intake. It is the only intake for the Yaris i know that sits very low (yes, lower than the AEM) hugging the upper top of the foglight cover and side fender wall.

Only problem? Remove during rainy season as it tend to get hit by water more than other intakes available lol...or slip on an Injen Hydrashield cover for the filter...it prevents water being sucked by it, or at least water repellent.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
JImbo_2400

Drives: 2D Grey Hatchback
I put the Typhoon on mine and it works great, more HP, sounds better, and the mileage isn't really affected all that much. That being said you do loose a some of the low end power and it does cause an intermittant CEL. I'll try resetting the ECU with the stock intake on then switching over to the K&N with out disconnecting the battery.
JImbo_2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
sorry bout the threadjack....but does anybody else have problems with CELs? i thought that was a pretty big problem, with the filter so close to the MAF...i don't like the CAI's, as i would like to try to keep water out as much as i can.. (hurricane season in florida)... but i'm worried about CEL's in SRI's...
goliath1812 is offline   Reply With Quote