Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
CBS didn't stop Andy Rooney

It's gone. My apologies.

Last edited by yaris-me; 04-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
whether or not you agree or disagree with the piece, you should at least check to if it's TRUE or not. Which you didn't. And it's not:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
^+1 OWND
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i mean seriously, andy rooney is on cbs, do you really think he wouldn't be a died in the wool communist?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I was becoming a fan of Rooney while reading the transcript but when I found out that he didn't say those things (and emphatically denies the views), I lost all respect for him (although he is welcome to his Marxist liberal nonsense).

And may I ask where the racism is?? The transcript emphasizes equality and not labeling and grouping as liberals love to do.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The transcript emphasizes equality and not labeling and grouping as liberals love to do.
Do you see the inherent contradiction within that statement?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Do you see the inherent contradiction within that statement?
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up.

Yes, "liberal" is a label but what I of course am referring to is the practice within our society to group races/ethnicities and label them with "PC" terms like "African-American" which is often inaccurate anyway. And then those groups get special programs and funding just because. To me, that is calling out some perception of inequality where none exists. We are all created equal however different. Sorry to say, but it's the Democratic party that focuses on these groups and operates based on the numbers and counts on people's belief that a liberal government is going to help them. Democrats make minorities believe that they are their party and that they will take care of them. Take a look at inner cities where the Dems normally have power - is that prosperity?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I think it's also a case of making up for the inequality they've been subjected to years before (slavery, anyone?).

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
sorry to call you out, yaris-me. I respect that everyone has an opinion and we get to have them.

Part of respecting someone is making an effort not to misread, misquote them or spread information that was made up about them, regardless of their views.

The rest of you guys sure like to complain and bash -- what are you doing to change things?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
sorry to call you out, yaris-me. I respect that everyone has an opinion and we get to have them.

Part of respecting someone is making an effort not to misread, misquote them or spread information that was made up about them, regardless of their views.

The rest of you guys sure like to complain and bash -- what are you doing to change things?
Well said!
There now seems to be a growing culture of blatent lying in the US, the sole purpiose of which is to boster ones point of view.

If the truth is truly on ones side, lying is not only not nessary, it also simply serves to discredit the lier's point of view.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I think it's also a case of making up for the inequality they've been subjected to years before (slavery, anyone?).
i've never owned a slave, nor has anyone i've ever been related to. Why should I be forced to pay for something that happened centuries before I was born?

Not to mention these programs do anything but help the people the are supposedly for. What they really do is let them know it is ok to fail and worse, it gives them a ready made reason for failure.

Everyone is born in the USA with an equal chance to do well. After that it is up to each individual.

All you need to do is look at some of the most famous celebrities and then look at where they came from, and then you'll realize anyone can do anything if they put the effort in.

What we need to do? How about listen to MLK and start living that colorblind society he dreamed about. That is a great first step that still hasn't even come close to happening.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i've never owned a slave, nor has anyone i've ever been related to. Why should I be forced to pay for something that happened centuries before I was born?

Not to mention these programs do anything but help the people the are supposedly for. What they really do is let them know it is ok to fail and worse, it gives them a ready made reason for failure.

Everyone is born in the USA with an equal chance to do well. After that it is up to each individual.

All you need to do is look at some of the most famous celebrities and then look at where they came from, and then you'll realize anyone can do anything if they put the effort in.

What we need to do? How about listen to MLK and start living that colorblind society he dreamed about. That is a great first step that still hasn't even come close to happening.
That is a simplistic, idyllic view of our society.

First off, there are never enough jobs to go around in the best of times.
Given the fact that the sys/ government has allowed (and encouraged with tax incentives) millions of jobs to shipped elswhere to line the pockets of the rich at the expense of the working class, I charge that the sys/government is at least partly responsible for the jobless.

Eveyone can't be on top and our society can only function with the majority on the bottom of the economic scale.
Shure there are some who will take advantage of anything but, the vast majority who apply for it really need some sort public assistance.

Now we have a president who is a champion of the working class, a class that has been raped for far too long, is the very backbone of any society and he is called everthing from the "anti Christ to Hittler etc

This "I got mine so, screw you " attitude in not only unChristian but, it can detrimential to a society as a whole.

BTW, I am 62 yrs old an have worked steady since I was 13 yrs old not only beacuse I have a work ethic, but I have also been very lucky that I am still physically fit and was always able to find good paying job with adequate health insurance.
I acknowledge that many are not so lucky.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-10-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
That is a simplistic, idyllic view of our society.

Fist off, there are never enough jobs to go around in the best of times.
Given the fact that the sys/ government has allowed (and encouraed with tax incentives) millions of jobs to shipped elswhere to line the pockets of the rich at the expense of the working class, I charge that the sys/government is at least partly responsible for the jobless.

Eveyone can't be on top and our society can only function with the majority on the bottom of the economic scale.
Shure there are some who will take advantage of anything but, the vast majority who apply for it really need some sort public assistance.

Now we have a president who is a champion of the working class, a class that has been raped for far too long, is the very backbone of any society and he is called everthing from the "anti Christ to Hittler etc

This "I got mine so, screw you " attitude in not only unChristian but, it can detrimential to a society as a whole.

BTW, I am 62 yrs old an have worked steady since I was 13 yrs old not only beacuse I have a work ethic, but I have also been very lucky that I am still physically fit and was always able to find good paying a job.
Some are not so lucky.
How is the President a champion of the working class? Wealth redistribution does NOT help the working class. Guess what, confiscating more from businesses and the wealthy destroys jobs. The jobs the working class count on. And programs/entitlements only reduce drive and motivation to earn your own way. That will lead to an America that will no longer be a leader in prosperity, innovation, charity, freedom and liberty.

Health reform, upcoming Cap and Trade (God help us), and other government programs do NOT help the working class. These programs and huge new taxes will cripple the working class. Health care costs are now going to skyrocket as they have done in my state of Massachusetts (ever since we started this similar model they just passed for the rest of the country). We pay, by far, the most for health care in the country now. And there are now doctor shortages. Thing is, this health care bill is even far, far worse because it institutes huge government controls and penalties. Millions of jobs will be lost over the next decade just from health care "reform" alone. What do people really think happens when "rich" businesses get huge tax hikes? It's usually a combination of job layoffs and passing costs on to consumers.

Yeah, this will be great for the working class.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
RedRide

Quote:
How is the President a champion of the working class? Wealth redistribution does NOT help the working class. Guess what, confiscating more from businesses and the wealthy destroys jobs. The jobs the working class count on. And programs/entitlements only reduce drive and motivation to earn your own way. That will lead to an America that will no longer be a leader in prosperity, innovation, charity, freedom and liberty.

Health reform, upcoming Cap and Trade (God help us), and other government programs do NOT help the working class. These programs and huge new taxes will cripple the working class. Health care costs are now going to skyrocket as they have done in my state of Massachusetts (ever since we started this similar model they just passed for the rest of the country). We pay, by far, the most for health care in the country now. And there are now doctor shortages. Thing is, this health care bill is even far, far worse because it institutes huge government controls and penalties. Millions of jobs will be lost over the next decade just from health care "reform" alone. What do people really think happens when "rich" businesses get huge tax hikes? It's usually a combination of job layoffs and passing costs on to consumers.

Yeah, this will be great for the working class.

Wealth re-distribution you say ? Just WTF do you call the biggest transfer of wealth in history from the 90% working middle class to to the top 10% of the richest under Bush, and his failed trickle down economic policies?

There is no employer who will hire a worker simply becaouse you give them money via tax brakes etc. An employer wiil only hire a new woker if they absolulty need one because buisnes is that good and working existing workers overtime wiil not meet demand, not out of some goodnees of their heart as some suggest they will. Buisnesses boom when the masses (the middle, working class) have disposible income to pay for their products and services.

After WWII, the US made about 90% of the world's products. Now, we only make about 10% of our own products. Anyone who doesn't seee this as a major problem is not paying attention to reality.

As far as health reform, name one "penality that wiil be imposed.
The fact is, there is absolutly no penalty for not getting health insurance as the tax for not getting it is actually voluntary and the law specificaly states that there will be absolutly no penalty for not paying it.

Also, there are some new tax incentives for supplying health insurance and there are many cases where it will actually cost businesses less than it now does.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-10-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Kal-El

Quote:
Wealth re-distribution you say ? Just WTF do you call the biggest transfer of wealth in history from the 90% working middle class to to the top 10% of the richest under Bush, and his failed trickle down economic policies?

There is no employer who will hire a worker simply becaouse you give them money via tax brakes etc. An employer wiil only hire a new woker if they absolulty need one because buisnes is that good, not out of some goodnees of their heart as some suggest they will. Buisnesses boom when the masses (the middle, working class) have disposible income to pay for their products and services.

After WWII, the US made about 90% of the world's products. Now, we only make about 10% of our own products. Anyone who doesn't seee this as a major problem is not paying attention to reality.

As far as health reform, name one "penality that wiil be imposed.
The fact is, there is absolutly no penalty for not getting health insurance as the tax for not getting it is actually voluntary and the law specificaly states that there will be absolutly no penalty for not paying it.

Also, there are some new tax incentives for supplying health insurance and there are many cases where it will actually cost businesses less than it now does.
Wealth redistribution is government forced redistribution from the wealthy to the poor (the very definition of Marxism). What you describe, if accurate, is the free market working. It is the best and brightest working hard and earning to their potential. They should be congratulated, not punished for their success. BTW, the bottom 47% of Americans pay NO federal income tax. We are already redistributing plenty to them. Shall we just send them bigger checks as reward for not earning their own way?

As for your assessment on health reform, you're suggesting you don't have to pay the penalty fees for not buying insurance. It's not what Obama, Pelosi, Reed, and the rest of them have been saying. They've not even denied imprisonment, when asked, as a penalty for not buying insurance. So explain to me this. How will the system work if you don't have to buy insurance, you don't have to pay penalties, and you can't ever be denied coverage even with preexisting conditions? A mathematical and fiscal miracle? Cool!!! Sign me up!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
RedRide

Quote:
Wealth redistribution is government forced redistribution from the wealthy to the poor (the very definition of Marxism). What you describe, if accurate, is the free market working. It is the best and brightest working hard and earning to their potential. They should be congratulated, not punished for their success. BTW, the bottom 47% of Americans pay NO federal income tax. We are already redistributing plenty to them. Shall we just send them bigger checks as reward for not earning their own way?

As for your assessment on health reform, you're suggesting you don't have to pay the penalty fees for not buying insurance. It's not what Obama, Pelosi, Reed, and the rest of them have been saying. They've not even denied imprisonment, when asked, as a penalty for not buying insurance. So explain to me this. How will the system work if you don't have to buy insurance, you don't have to pay penalties, and you can't ever be denied coverage even with preexisting conditions? A mathematical and fiscal miracle? Cool!!! Sign me up!

Have you even read an accurate transcript of the law that pertains to the tax penalty?

I do not get my info from lying, fear merchants who get filthy rich misrepresenting the truth.

BTW the majority of the 47% you mentioned includes workers who can only find part time work or are full time workers earning minimumum wage supporting a family and are below the so called poverty level .
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Kal-El

Quote:
Have you even read an accurate transcript of the law that pertains to the tax penalty?

I do not get my info from lying,fear merchants who get filthy rich misrepresenting the truth.
Should I not be listening to what Obama is telling us? He clearly told us that the tax penalty is there, otherwise the system wouldn't work. His words.

You're avoiding what I asked you. So how will it all work out if no one has to pay anything but they receive everything they need?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #18
RedRide

This is a copy of the text concerning the "mandate tax" as written in the bill:

2) SPECIAL RULES.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law—
‘‘(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES.— In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.
‘‘(B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES.—The Secretary shall not—
‘‘(i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or
‘‘(ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.

So, in realty there is no real provision to collect the so callked mandate tax.
They can tell you to pay it but it can't be legally collected.

BTW the refom bill was writthen by countlees commities and constantly changed and perverted into the bill that was finally passed and is now law. I admiit that it's not perfect.
However, the staus quo was no longer a viable option and the biil is at least a start.
Refinements etc are shure to follow in the comming years and I hope we as a county can agree on sensible changes.

Let's not loose sight of the fact that a mandate to purchase health insurance was first proposed by some republicans in response to The Clinton adminitration's health care reform discussions.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-11-2010 at 02:38 AM.