Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
SimTronik
Machinist

Drives: Yaris sedan 2010
Winter tires pressure

I just installed my winter tires at the garage. I noticed that my driving was "loosy". When i get hit by heavy winds i feel like i was goging off track (like really losing it). I looked at the tire pressure... The garage set is up to 30psi on the front and 28psi on the rear.... Seems very low.

What is the ideal tire pressure for winter tires?
Should i put this the same of my summer tires 32 front 32 rear ?
I want maximum traction and good driving in snow condition..
SimTronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Did you put air or nitrogen?
Also where are you drive? If your going up tremblanc area the lower air pressure will make a wider foot print to go up the hills when there snowy. If it is in montreal then higher so it can cut through the snow banks.

What is the max psi for the tire?

Also do you park indoors or does the car stay park outdoors?

They should be the same psi on all for tires. especially for winter, and the price of gas Quebec.

My winter tires max psi is 44 so for air I run it at 34 since air will expand once heated not with nitrogen it at 38 since the psi will mostly stay the same. it get for cutting through snow and mpg , but danse on the highway a bit since the tires is so hard. So more control and attention is needed.

As for the wind pushing the car off track, it has nothing to do with the tires. It the car since it is higher than it is long. So a sway bar will help a bit with the problem but won't completely get rid of it.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
SimTronik
Machinist

I put air. Should i use azote?
I live at the country south side of quebec. Snow hit here first most of the time.
Max tire psi is 44
The car stay park outdoor.

Planning to get a sway bar eventually, but still expensive.

So i should pu them to 34psi all four tires?

Thanks for the infos.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
No problem, From my experience through Quebec winter air should be fine. If you can put azote at a good price then go for it. Costco & Canadian tire at one time use to do it for free but not sure anymore. You'll save on mpgs not a lot maybe an extra 1 to 3 mpg but now a days every little bit helps, also in the winter your tires are going to look less flat.

With air put it to 34 when the you've been driving around for a bit. So you'll know it won't go higher than that, since the air in the tire is hot. If you put the air in when it cold go to 32 so by the time the air in the tires heat up you should be around 34, 35 give or take.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
SimTronik
Machinist

Great perfect. I think i'll go for azote tho :) Thats what i did last winter.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Winter tires are made of flexible rubber. What you are experiencing is fairly normal.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote