Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
t43er

Drives: Yaris
Potential Yaris Purchase

Good evening gens, let me introduce myself first. I'm Edmund from Gateshead, UK. Not sure this is the correct place but please move me the correct section if the mod thinks this is against the rule.
I'm about to purchase a 56reg yaris mmt t spirit which had done 16k miles to date. I'm looking for some opinions as I've never own a Yaris before.
Test drive the lovely car just now and must admit that the gear selection will need some time to get used to it. Another thing I noticed is the timing chain seem to be producing some noise. The car has just been serviced 5 days ago so I'm not sure is it normal as it's not picked up during the service.
Also the engine bay looked a bit well dirty and rust (or normal chemical reaction on the aluminium?)
Any opinions would be useful and appreciated. I've attached a couple of photos for viewing.

Regards,
Ed
Attached Images

t43er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
That's a lot of rust for a 16,000 miles. What year is it?
echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Wow, yeah that looks really bad real, nickname for car is now Rusty :-( The timing chains make a muted-slappy-harmonica sound by default, so unless its whistling a tune, it seems fine.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
t43er

Thanks for the replies guys!
Sorry for the lack of explaination. It's registered at year 2006 hence the 56reg. I guess it's not good then?
It's got full toyota service history and it's a toyota approved used which will have 12 months warranty and 2 free service.
However judging by the replies, it doesn't look good thus I'm here to look for the opinions.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I don't think that the rust is bad for a 2006. It was probably never garaged. With the low miles, it is probably not a bad car to purchase.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Look at a few more before you decide.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #7
t43er

Right guys, thought I should contribute more and keep you all updated since I've gotten the car.

The car is fine apart from the noise that I've mentioned. Sent it to main Toyota Dealer and apparently the alternator belt's the cause of the noise. Was not covered by the warranty but got the garage to pay for it since I got the car not long ago! Toyota fitted a modified belt according to the invoice so go figure?

It was £120 incl. vat to replace the thing. It's like a new car now!

Thanks again!