Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Guage Interest - LB sub enclosure

Wondering if you guys might be interested in a box that replaced the current LB cargo cover.

It can flip up (a few extra $), but would be removable either way.

For those without the 60/40 seats, it coudl be made so that it LEVELS with the seats! This is my main focus with this box in the first place. Power package folks wont be left out though, I can make a shorter version just as well :)

Probably a ported 10" box, pre-loaded or not, with a protective grill over the sub, as it would fire directly up.

The 2 rear storages would have to go, the spare will be built around, although its removal will allow for a dual 10" or single 12" setup.

In regards to performance... the box will outperform anything else put into the same space, and will be totally out of the way. Any under the seat option wouldnt come close.

Just seeing if anyone would be interested in this, and perhaps if someone in the chi area with a 60/40 seat woudl like to volunteer to test one out :)

Also note, I'm not a sponsor here now, so I wont throw any of that info out... just know they will be professionally built with fiberglass/MDF.

The sedan guys arent left out, btw, they just have much more conventional options as cargo space isnt at such a premium :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
People would be crazy to buy anything less than what you just mentioned. I'd say interest would be excellent.

Will the box have any space to mount other amps or components?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
People would be crazy to buy anything less than what you just mentioned. I'd say interest would be excellent.

Will the box have any space to mount other amps or components?
there could be a recessed area for an amp if requested.

The best place for an amp in here, IMO at least, is under the rear seat... very secure, and out of the way. Anything that woudl fit on the box would fit there.

That being said, its without a doubt possible.

I've done boxes like these before on a more custom level... and for the $ these will be available if there was a group buy or even more than 1 being built... its really a no-brainer.

For those wanting more remains the option of using more space, but "more" space in the LB is basically the entire cargo area lol.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

The only question left...

Price.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
spkrman
Banned

Thats a question to be answered by how much interest is involved :)

I've yet to even design the box, and I'm not certain how much fiberglass will be used, or if its even required.

From some quick measurements/design in head... I'd say it could be solely MDF, could be ported, and the price would be in the area of $200 + ship.

I think a triple 10" sealed setup is also feasable (maybe even 3 12's if enough airspace can be extracted), and thats what I was thinking for myself, since it would be really cool to have 3 10's hiding in basically unused space :).

I'll have to do the math and such, just seeing if there is any interest... as it will push the project up farther if someone was to be the guinea pig and order the first, or setup a GB.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
grimez

Drives: 2007 Yaris
This sounds great... mark me down as very interested.
grimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
If I am picturing the setup correctly I would be down for one!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
spkrman
Banned

awesome, busy day today, but perhaps by the end of the week I'll have a roughed out proto.

There will be a few options, nothing set in stone, I'm thinking a basic single 10 ported/12 sealed and single 10 sealed. Ported will remove the storage compartments, sealed will only replace the cover and leave storage compartments intact. I think both can be achieved without fiberglass.

More is possible (up to perhaps even 3 ported 10's), but more would require fiberglass which ups the cost quite a bit.

The only concern is a mounting scheme... I'd like to use the factory style locks, but I'm not convinced its worth the extra effort. A more suitable solution would be velcro, I think. Either way its not going anywhere, as it'll fit snugly.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
spkrman
Banned

bump i'll try to get something movin on this this weekend.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I can't wait to see the finished Product!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
spkrman
Banned

I've come up with a modular design... the top panel/cover replacement is all the same, whats under it is very different :)

This also makes using the stock cover lock locations feasable... and allows for basically anything to be done under the cover without much fuss on my end.

I'm going to attempt to stuff in a ported 15... we'll see how that goes lol...tight space, but the 1 and only woofer I have on hand (old school CV stroker) has proven itself over the years in similar enclosures.

ETA is the end of next week - for my uses, there will be fiberglass involved :)
Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
how are making this fit in the hatch? im green when it comes to subs/amps etc so im asking more for my own curiosity. The twelves I have needed 1.25 cuft per sub which I had trouble trying to get in the hatch. I couldnt get 12's to mount flat behind the seat, there isnt enough room. are you downfiring the subs if theyre that large? Id love to see the setup(s), the rest of the boxes youve posted up look awsome.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
spkrman
Banned

havent gotten to it yet... although I did drop in the 15 I have normally doing sub duty in the garage, fits fine in its sealed box firingup. Its in a very small box, though, perhaps 1.25 cube... its quite literally thrown together with scrap wood, and has next to no low bass output.. but hey, better than the stock speaks right? :)

Working on a solution that keeps the factory coverintact, but I dont think its feasable. To stay in my MECA street + SQ class, I can remove the spare, but everything else back there has to stay... so for my personal use, i'm going to have to 'glass something that tucks to the left or right side over the wheel wells.

What would you guys rather see, something that:

Replaces the stock spare cover and possibly removes the storage compartments.

Fits perfectly over the left or right wheel well, under the cargo cover, or whatever its officially called.

More performance can be extracted by replacing the spare cover, but its also going to hinder usability and delete some otherwise useful storage space... perhaps the over the well 'glass enclosure is more feasable? At least thats how its looking on my end.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Screw storage space. Make sexy bass.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Agree.

Accessing those compartments under the sub enclosure would be a pain in the ass anyhow. You'd almost have to take the sub out of the car to get at them. Probably not much point in keeping them.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
spkrman
Banned

well, with a solution that utilized an enclosure molded over the left or right wheel well, its pretty much using unused space... but not much space to get something "loud" in there.

With the compartments and cover gone, there is definitely more room to play.

I have a design I'm going to build this weekend (if i can get to it) that stuffs 2 15's into this space, in a ported box, and will still yield good performance. Although 2 15's aren't going to have much more benefit in this space than say a pair of 12's, its what I have on hand right now lol.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #17
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
this is my cheap ass setup - cheap components etc but it fits under the cover and behind the seats and hatch with no problems. Plus since its all bolted together I just pull the wires from the amp and remove the whole setup if I need to. Its also louder than Ill ever listen to it.
If I had the same setup in fiberglass it would be great.

mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #18
spkrman
Banned

definitely something worth 'glassing right there :)