Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Drives: Yaris 1.0 Sol 5 doors liftback
Send a message via MSN to Sabina74
Bye bye Asya

my Yaris called Asya 1.0L year 2001 320.000 kms has left me...
a cylinder or a valve have broken. too expensive to be repaired.

i'll miss it!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
*moment of silence*
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
sorry to hear :(

will you get another Yaris?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
1 liter. Sweet!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

i'd like to but for the moment i won't.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
bronsin

What are you thinking of getting?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
A long time ago , in a far away land called South Carolina . There was a handsome young lad named "Sir Dumfuk" . Sir Dumfuk drove a super kool 1986 Datsun 200 SX hatch . One day the engine of the Datsun just stopped . Sir Dumfuk took the much loved Datsun to a mechanic . The mechanic presented an estimate of $3200 to have the car fixed ! Sir Dumfuk , disgusted at this point , called a tow truck to have his beloved Datsun towed back home . During the ride home Sir Dumfuk was expressing his displeasure with the mechanic to the tow truck driver . The tow truck driver then said " You should let my buddy look at your car . He's really good with cars and if he can't fix your car I'll tow your car anywhere for free " So now Sir Dumfuk is at the Buddy's mechanic shop . The Datsun is in the bay with the hood up . The Buddy's mechanic grabs a long handled screwdriver and touches both post of the battery which produces a huge spark then looks at Sir Dumfuk and says "well ya got fire , now lets see if ya got gas " . He then proceeds to make an adjustment on the throttlebody and then ask Sir Dumfuk to try and start the car . To Sir Dumfuk's amazement the car started up . The car was revving really high and then the Buddy's mechanic made another adjustment with the screwdriver and viola ..... Sir Dumfuk's car was purring like kitten The Buddy's mechanic said to Sir Dumfuk " Ya gotta keep an eye on that screw there Chief , they have a tendency to back out " . " Yes Sir , Thank you Sir , How much do I owe you Sir " replied Sir Dumfuk . "Hmmm let me see .. a cold Mountain Dew sho would hit the spot right about now" the Buddy's mechanic said . Needless to say , Sir dumfuk went to the nearest store and bought a cooler , 20lbs of ice and case of Mountain Dew to pay the Buddy's mechanic .

Moral of the story.....Thank Goodness for Mountain Dew

Seriously , get another mechanic to look at Asya .....
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Mistry

Drives: Red Yaris Liftback
^ Great story, LOL!!! I completely agree with the moral of the story, btw.
Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
If it was a valve you would have to remove the heads, re-surface, new gasket, replace valve, spring, retaining ring, etc..
For cylinder work same as top except hone out the old sleeve and press in a new one, still have to do the same to the heads as far as remove and re-surface, etc..

Why not just drop in a used motor from a junk-yard for a couple of hundred bucks and call it a day?
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
What are you thinking of getting?
i have already another car. an horrible Citroen berlingo. it's useful for dogs.
the mechanic thought it could be a fuel injector but it's a cylinder or a valve for sure. So i cannot spend too much money to open the heads and change those parts.
I'm just thinking to buy a used engine to be replaced but in this moment i don't have enough money; i need the engine, the gear and the clutch. More than 2000 euros!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
As my Dad would say, 'son whats it going to cost to fix yer car?'
Then when i replied his next words of wisdom would be 'How much is a new car?' His logic usually ended up saving me at least $10-$20K after fixing the car and running it many more years..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As my Dad would say, 'son whats it going to cost to fix yer car?'
Then when i replied his next words of wisdom would be 'How much is a new car?' His logic usually ended up saving me at least $10-$20K after fixing the car and running it many more years..
i've asked on ebay for another engine: it's 75.000 kms old (year 2002). this engine plus gear plus clutch will cost me 980 euros. then someone have to assemble those parts...i think it will cost more than 1500 euros totally.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
If you have your mind set on a newer car, see how much used ones are going for in your area and determine if it is worth the expense of getting it fixed or selling as is...personally I would fix it, remove all my aftermarket parts and put it back to stock, sell the parts to make-up for the expense of fixing it and sell it for a down payment of a newer car, the ball is in your court...or field ;)
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina74 View Post
i have already another car. an horrible Citroen berlingo. it's useful for dogs.
the mechanic thought it could be a fuel injector but it's a cylinder or a valve for sure. So i cannot spend too much money to open the heads and change those parts.
I'm just thinking to buy a used engine to be replaced but in this moment i don't have enough money; i need the engine, the gear and the clutch. More than 2000 euros!
If you get another Yaris then you can keep the old one for parts/tires/light bulbs etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina74 View Post
i've asked on ebay for another engine: it's 75.000 kms old (year 2002). this engine plus gear plus clutch will cost me 980 euros. then someone have to assemble those parts...i think it will cost more than 1500 euros totally.
So 1500 euros to fix whats wrong with your car,as i have no idea what the value of a euro is whats a new Yaris going to cost?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
A long time ago , in a far away land called South Carolina . There was a handsome young lad named "Sir Dumfuk" . Sir Dumfuk drove a super kool 1986 Datsun 200 SX hatch . One day the engine of the Datsun just stopped . Sir Dumfuk took the much loved Datsun to a mechanic . The mechanic presented an estimate of $3200 to have the car fixed ! Sir Dumfuk , disgusted at this point , called a tow truck to have his beloved Datsun towed back home . During the ride home Sir Dumfuk was expressing his displeasure with the mechanic to the tow truck driver . The tow truck driver then said " You should let my buddy look at your car . He's really good with cars and if he can't fix your car I'll tow your car anywhere for free " So now Sir Dumfuk is at the Buddy's mechanic shop . The Datsun is in the bay with the hood up . The Buddy's mechanic grabs a long handled screwdriver and touches both post of the battery which produces a huge spark then looks at Sir Dumfuk and says "well ya got fire , now lets see if ya got gas " . He then proceeds to make an adjustment on the throttlebody and then ask Sir Dumfuk to try and start the car . To Sir Dumfuk's amazement the car started up . The car was revving really high and then the Buddy's mechanic made another adjustment with the screwdriver and viola ..... Sir Dumfuk's car was purring like kitten The Buddy's mechanic said to Sir Dumfuk " Ya gotta keep an eye on that screw there Chief , they have a tendency to back out " . " Yes Sir , Thank you Sir , How much do I owe you Sir " replied Sir Dumfuk . "Hmmm let me see .. a cold Mountain Dew sho would hit the spot right about now" the Buddy's mechanic said . Needless to say , Sir dumfuk went to the nearest store and bought a cooler , 20lbs of ice and case of Mountain Dew to pay the Buddy's mechanic .

Moral of the story.....Thank Goodness for Mountain Dew

Seriously , get another mechanic to look at Asya .....

Man I was laughing so hard I had to go pee
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #17
Blue Y job

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatch
If you really like your old yari, you should try to fix it, but find a cheap way to do it. Don't settle for a dog car, your happyness is important!
Blue Y job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #18
boooggy

Drives: 2014 Yaris lb 1.33L
a new yaris is at least around 11000 euros.....so i say go for engine swap
boooggy is offline   Reply With Quote