Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
gabriel2012

Drives: 2011 Base Sedan
Best way to get scratches out?

Today I am a bit irritated since my sister took the car to shop for groceries and she kinda scratched the passengers door while pulling up to the house.

She basically scratched it against the curb and now I have a big scratch that goes through the whole body of the passengers side under the door. there is a part where I can see the raw metal. also the metal part under the door is kinda bent.

also she scratched the plastic covers on the rims and I'm wondering if spray painting them will have an effect?
can I use some touch up paint sold at autozone to cover the scratches and the missing paint?

I would post a picture but its already dark and the car is in the driveway.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
for something like that I would recommend actually getting the damaged parts repainted. Sanding down to the metal, prime, and paint and clear coat. either way though you want to seal up the metal parts nicely, otherwise it may rust especially since it's on an exterior body part
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
gabriel2012

Drives: 2011 Base Sedan
Right now I cant afford to go and get it fixed (I really want to) but will adding some of the touch up paint seal it off while I get the money together for a repaint?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
it should, but of course hte down side is it won't look very good, but of course if you're doing it as a temporary fix then yes it should work fine.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Man I feel for you. Your car? Time to shoot the sister. But yea, any kind of paint will seal to a degree, how well and for how long depends on your prep. Body shop for dent and follow up repair and permanent re-paint.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
You can easily fix this yourself and have someone else paint it, just go to your local parts store or Walmart and buy some supplies: different grades of sand paper, bondo or evercoat, etching primer, sand block and a primer sealer. Sand with the heaviest grade of sand paper first (150-200) over the major damage. Then follow with 300, then mix up some magic putty and slap it on the dented area, and try to make it look as pretty as possible like icing a cake. sand with 300-400 til smooth. If you see any pin-holes add some more layers and sand again til smooth. Apply your etching primer to fill anymore imperfections and prevent rusting, apply 2-3 medium coats until no pinholes are viable. Sand with 500 untlil baby butt smooth, then apply 2-3 coats of sealer with 20min flash time in between and finish with 600 sanding and then 800 and feathering 8-10 away from the damage area careful not to go through the clear-coat. Simply drive to the back of your local body shop and talk to one of the painters about doing a side job for some beer and cash and you my friend have a good looking ride
Oh and make you sis pay for the products, beer and paint guy
Or skip all of the above labor and just drive to the back of the shop and ask how much beer, pizza and cash to do it all
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote