Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Goodbye center guage cluster-you will be missed....

Looks like the center guage cluster with the 2012 Yaris is a thing of the past. I think this sucks. Myself, I love the center guage cluster. I don't like it because it's trendy or cool or spunky, and for any hipster reason whatsoever. I like the center guage cluster because I think it's more efficient than the traditional guage cluster in terms of referencing efficiency while one is driving. Simple as that.
I guess the new look will please some people, but not me. Like I said, I think this Toyota decision sucks. Glad I bought my Yaris when I did....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
what would make sense is a central cluster, but have speed in front of the driver

speed is the only thing you always need to know constantly so you can judge
how to drive and how the car is handling in any microscopic instant. everything
else can go in the center.

-I hate speed in the center, so I have my scanguage do my MPH on the steering cover

-I do like all the convenience of a storage box right in front of me. those times when you
do need to grab some snacks or other in a moving vehicle, you keep your eyes centered
on your path. super safe and practical
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i won't miss center gauges...
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I won't miss it either. It was a bad idea with the Echo that just got worse with the Yaris. At least with the Echo it was turned slightly to face the driver so we can do a quick read of the speedo out the corner of our eye without taking them off the road. The Yaris has one directly facing the backseat driver, giving him one more reason to keep running his mouth. Gauges behind the steering wheel is always a win. You can see it clearly, but he can't.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Riding a motorcycle you are taught NEVER to look at the speedo/tach. The ONLY place to look is the road ahead because things can happen very fast. Road racing motorcycles do not have them.

So I was glad to see the center gauges on the ECHO. Look at the road! Also, at night its far less distracting not to have a lighted display in front of you.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Riding a motorcycle you are taught NEVER to look at the speedo/tach. The ONLY place to look is the road ahead because things can happen very fast. Road racing motorcycles do not have them.
yes technically correct but cars drive on roads with speed limit laws, and on unfamilar roads, engineers have determined what speed you should be going so
you don't get surprised by a driveway or corner and be unable to react...and you pretty much need to stay aware of your own speed more often than what time it is or how much gas you have. also the rpm's don't mean a whole lot on public roads...you can hear and feel when you need to shift

anyhow yes the center cluster is offbeat...
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
eric_edge

Drives: '11 3dr white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
at night its far less distracting not to have a lighted display in front of you.
i've had my yaris for two months and i JUST noticed this the other night...MUCH easier on the eyes at night.

also, if center mount is what is necessary for the driver's side glove box then i'll take it. SO handy
eric_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
I love my center gauge cluster! Take it back, naysayers!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I'll bet some that buy the 2012 will be modding it for a center gauge.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_edge View Post
i've had my yaris for two months and i JUST noticed this the other night...MUCH easier on the eyes at night.

Good for you. My wife drives her car with the dash lights at night cranked all the way up!

There is nothing I can do to convince her this isnt the best thing to do...

bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I like the center cluster but not for the reasons given so far. I like it because it frees up room for the little driver side glove box. Now I can store stuff that I may need while driving (napkins, pens, etc.) right in front of me and so I don't have to reach over into the passenger side box. I generally don't look at the gauges enough to make a difference whether the cluster is in front of me or to the center; just drive with the flow of traffic.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I like the center cluster too. For one, it's unique making the already unique Yaris (the LB anyway) that much moreso. The geek in me likes it because it makes me think I'm operating a space ship instead of a car. Finally, I find that I can maintain better awareness of the road ahead when checking the speedo versus a conventional setup where I have to look down taking my eyes off the road.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Having the plenty of napkins/wipes available without reaching too far is a great thing if you have kids like me. A parents greatest gift is having the glove compartment above the steering wheel.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
A-tron

Drives: Black hb
The only complaint about the center cluster in my yaris is that it did not have the option of a tach. But i got over that quite quickly. I do a lot of night driving and the lack of bright blue glowing gauges in my line of sight is a blessing. Less glare = more concentration, plain and simple.

Long live the center cluster!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Kinda beating a dead horse here, but the fact is, is that Toyota lost countless sales in many cases just because of center mounted gauges.

Anyone who enjoys reading reviews, and other/competing car forums knows that one of the most complained about things with the Yaris has been the gauges. I've never read a professional review that didn't complain about them. Most importantly, I've read so many instances where people who've discussed their buying process and eliminated the Yaris from contention because of the placement of the gauges. They said they just couldn't get past that "flaw". The sale went to Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, and elsewhere. All because Toyota wanted to save money switching from left and right hand drive configurations.

For the record, I don't mind them. In fact, I don't care either way where they are.

Toyota's new money saving mistake is dropping the sedan. Now most of those sedan buyers will find homes in other makes. Way to go Toyota.

When will they realize that you can't "save money" by selling half the vehicles you would have if they offered what the majority wants. Usually Toyota is a master at this, but with these two examples, they totally missed the mark.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
^^

I can't imagine the issues with the center cluster was a functional one. It's just that it was so different that some people won't even consider it. Shame on them.

I'm confident that if the people that decided against the car simply because of the center cluster had actually driven the car for a while, it wouldn't be an issue.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I'm confident that if the people that decided against the car simply because of the center cluster had actually driven the car for a while, it wouldn't be an issue.
I agree; it took a little while to get used to glancing to the side instead of down every now and then to check my speed and for any idiot lights. The only issue now (sometimes) is when switching cars; I need to briefly reacquaint myself to having the cluster in front of the steering wheel. But that only takes a block or two of driving...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Center is great but I really love the cupholders keeps your drink ice cold.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote