Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Yar

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Metallic
Anybody have a custom enclosure?

Hey,

Just wondering if any of you people have a custom sub enclosure?

Right now, i have two 12" Pioneer Subs, in a basic "Bassworx" box. They take up all the space in my 3DR Hatch. I have the amps mounted below, where the spare tire used to be. I'm thinking of taking my car down to my local shop, and seeing what we can think up there, but for now, im just wondering if any of you guys have done anything with you cars?

-Bill
Yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
JustYYaris

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Hatch M/T
Someone had a really nice setup posted with a JL 8 recessed with an amplifier and cap. I thought it looked really nice and it fit where the tire used to be. What I would like to do is move the tire to the left or right and place an amp recessed over the spare tire so I could still access that. On the space left, i would like to put a recessed subwoofer (hopefully 12", maybe ported) on the opposite side built into the area not occupied by the tire. I don't think that would be too hard of an install and would still leave the cargo area and spare
JustYYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Here check this thread, I did everything with the stock head unit and it sounds great, Go to the bottom to see the final pics.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2509
Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
JustYYaris

hey bugnuts, I really liked your install. As i stated above, i was thinking of moving the spare to the left and building a sub enclosure next to it similar to yours except not over the sub. Im thinking having the amp over the spare so i could easily lift up the cover if i needed to access the tire. Is it possible to move the tire spindle left or right? How many cubes do you think i could pull off it i had a flat setup like yours and 40% of that area open for a box? Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
The install would be difficult without centering everything with the tire, I actually had to utilize some of the area inside the spare tire rim for the subs magnet, The tire sets inside the well at an angle so the box is actually tapered. If you plan to use a 12" sub then it will more than likely set higher than the original plastic cover location, This is the effect that I was going for (stock look and space) Do a mock-up with some cardboard and the equipment that you plan to use, then you can start trying different enclosure types to see what fits. If you need more assistance with mock-up tips just let me know.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
JustYYaris

That's awesome, thanks man.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Mine's a very basic, out of the way setup with the sub fitting in the space in the spare wheel...

It's probably not the most efficient setup, but to my untrained ears it sounds just fine, lots of boom-boom if I need it, but a nice solid thump-thump most of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0073.jpg (42.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg sub.jpg (26.8 KB, 340 views)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Looks nice Thomas!

So long as the sub is designed for IB or a large sealed enclosure, a reasonably well sealed "sound board" install like this should work just fine for most ppl, except SPL freaks..

This is pretty much what I would like to do, as it lets me keep the trunk space (an absolute requirement, this is a shopping car) - the only problem is how to make it work with the sliding 60/40 rear seats and flip-over floor in the E-Limited. Failing that I might just make a small enclosure that sits on the driver's side of the trunk (the 40% flip-down side).

Decisions, decisions...

Some pics to illustrate the problem:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flip1.jpg (62.0 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg flip2.jpg (52.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg flip3.jpg (55.7 KB, 334 views)
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I have the full bench seats but the floor area was the same as yours, the guys at the shop basically replaced the whole floor piece with a piece of carpeted wood, as you can see in my second pic.

It works good, but it's damn heavy...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Razr
YRS WHOR

The problem with the sliding seats is that once moved forward there's a huge gaping hole into the tire well, so it would take a lot of wood to seal it all up which means even more weight..

It's a pity the Infinity Basslink II's aren't more easily removable (say like a bazooka tube), but I suppose there's no easy way with something that's self amplified. At least the Inifinity would only take up one side of the trunk - even an 8" Bazooka would make the trunk effectively unusable.

Oh well, my search for Yaris subwoofer nirvana (small, light, removable) continues.. :(
Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Mine's a very basic, out of the way setup with the sub fitting in the space in the spare wheel...

It's probably not the most efficient setup, but to my untrained ears it sounds just fine, lots of boom-boom if I need it, but a nice solid thump-thump most of the time.
Is that leather seats I see? Is that an option in Thailand?

If it is, you guys are pretty lucky. I'd die to have leather interior.
Current owner 2010 4 dr Liftback - Totaled after 5 months :'( Blazing Blue
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...Glass it if you want a lighter removable enclosure. Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorytheYaris View Post
Is that leather seats I see? Is that an option in Thailand?

If it is, you guys are pretty lucky. I'd die to have leather interior.
Leather is standard on some models, but I'm guessing that Eti's leather was done by a trimmer (not OEM) - could be wrong though!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
...Glass it if you want a lighter removable enclosure. Is there something I'm missing here?
I wouldn't necessarily characterize the glassed sub enclosures I've had experience with in the past as being light.. But then again, the installers I know who work with glass fon't skimp on material either - I'd guess their work is coming out at 1/2" to 3/4" thick. For weight reduction purposes, birch ply would probably be ideal but the problem is finding it here - I've never seen it at all in Thailand.

In any case, a tire well install is out of the question for our Yaris - there's no way losing the flip-over floor will pass the WAF - so I've been playing with slot ported and sealed bandpass designs for a single 8" and 10" in LEAP, with the goal being to make a small, removable box that can fit behind the 40% fold-down seat.

The problem with the bass reflex designs is balancing the port area and length with velocity in such a compact enclosure. At this stage I'm really liking the 8" bandpass design, but need to tweak out more group delay before a prototype can be built..
Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Leather is standard on some models, but I'm guessing that Eti's leather was done by a trimmer (not OEM) - could be wrong though!
Free factory upgrade My friend's wife's friend works at a Toyota dealership, so they managed to get quite a few extra things for my very basic model... fog lamps, remote door locks, leather seats, skirts, 16" alloy wheels...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
Quote:
Free factory upgrade My friend's wife's friend works at a Toyota dealership, so they managed to get quite a few extra things for my very basic model... fog lamps, remote door locks, leather seats, skirts, 16" alloy wheels...
Luckyyy!
Current owner 2010 4 dr Liftback - Totaled after 5 months :'( Blazing Blue
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Nice deal!

My neighbor is a Toyota saleswoman, and all she got me for free was: tint, foglights, remote entry, dual exhaust, scuff plates, car cover, floor mats, window visors and of course free 1st class insurance.

You probably did about 50K better than me!

Mind you she did also get me 80% of the new price for my 2yo trade-in Vios, so maybe I ended up paying for that with less freebies
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
damn, i need to find dealer friends..

Nice sub Etimago, is that a 12"?

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote