Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
new-yaris-owner

Drives: Toyota Yaris LE HB 2008
Dash cam !

Hi everyone,

did a little research on the site, but found nothing helping me.

Well there it is, I was about to look for a dashcam to mount on the back of the passenger seat or on the rear view mirror.

There is always the so popular GoPro with mounting accessories, but it is a little too expensive for me. The Contour is a good option, but I don't think they make Fish eye for it

Could you recommand a great dashcam for me ?
new-yaris-owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
What about a cheap Point and Shut Digital camera? what's your idea? do you really need a fish eye?

D.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
new-yaris-owner

I am looking for something easy to RECORD and will be able to store memory easily.

And 720p.

I got a point and shoot camera, but the video mode is not quite good... and the fish eye is a must since I want record the widest.

There must be something as good as them 300-350$ GoPro and Contour !
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...ations-995312/

Here is a massive thread with lots of dash cam suggestions, and it's Canadian too!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
new-yaris-owner

Thanks a lot mate ! ;)

I made my choice ! Just sharing with everyone, pretty decent, great quality for the price :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJu5uwGlmE

On ebay : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD-720P-Car-C...#ht_2848wt_975
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
lol $52 bucks, i think it's good for whatever purpose you have. For most of us HD is really a must, much better clarity and able to see license plate. I bought a cheapo on ebay like yours before, end up ditching it and replaced with a $200 one. The latter will recycle the memory, instant on when car starts, connects to the 12V lighter plug
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
lol $52 bucks, i think it's good for whatever purpose you have. For most of us HD is really a must, much better clarity and able to see license plate. I bought a cheapo on ebay like yours before, end up ditching it and replaced with a $200 one. The latter will recycle the memory, instant on when car starts, connects to the 12V lighter plug
Can you stop the recording and restart it without it overwriting the video you already have?

I bought a cheap camera and you couldn't save the videos, you had to pull the SD card if you wanted to keep a video.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
caineroad

It is saved in 5 mins segments, not in one single video file. So depending on your SD card size, it will overwite the last segment when the SD card is full. Right now I have a 8GB in there, it will save up to about 3 hours.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
jayeh

Quote:
It is saved in 5 mins segments, not in one single video file. So depending on your SD card size, it will overwite the last segment when the SD card is full. Right now I have a 8GB in there, it will save up to about 3 hours.
The last camera I tried recorded in segments too, but it would always start at the beginning of the card. This made it impossible to save a video without removing the card. This camera doesn't have this flaw?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
The last camera I tried recorded in segments too, but it would always start at the beginning of the card. This made it impossible to save a video without removing the card. This camera doesn't have this flaw?
I am not sure what you are saying.

for mine:
Video 1 - 5:00
Video 2 - 5:05
Video 3 - 5:10
Video 4 - 5:15

say when the memory is full, it will delete Video 1 first, then create Video 5.

are you talking about your camera overwrites everything when you start recording again? If so you can't save anything right? lol

thats why it is splitted in segments, right so it will not delete everything, i think your camera might be flawed.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
jayeh

Quote:
I am not sure what you are saying.

for mine:
Video 1 - 5:00
Video 2 - 5:05
Video 3 - 5:10
Video 4 - 5:15

say when the memory is full, it will delete Video 1 first, then create Video 5.

are you talking about your camera overwrites everything when you start recording again? If so you can't save anything right? lol

thats why it is splitted in segments, right so it will not delete everything, i think your camera might be flawed.

I've tried a couple of cameras, and returned them both.

One camera would let you save videos. If you stopped recording manually and started a new recording it wouldn't overwrite anything. The other camera always started recording at the beginning of the card, overwriting everything. If something happens I want to be able to stop top recording save the event on the card and start a new loop recording.

If there was an event that I wanted to save I'd have to not record anything else until I got home and pulled the video from the card.

I'm still looking for a good one.

These cameras seem to be hit or miss, often new models solve one problem and create a new one. I have yet to find one that does everything well.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
caineroad

I am using Vico DS2, if you can find one you can also buy Vico DS1 which is basically the same but older model.

It is 1080p and is it very good. I once have a problem with the cam, the company immediately sent out a replacement for free, and i get to keep the old one.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
jayeh

Quote:
I am using Vico DS2, if you can find one you can also buy Vico DS1 which is basically the same but older model.

It is 1080p and is it very good. I once have a problem with the cam, the company immediately sent out a replacement for free, and i get to keep the old one.
Did you buy it online or locally?

I like the emergency function on the ds2. The price is a bit steep though.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #14
caineroad

bought it on ebay, about $200 -ish, but is well worth it cuz the video quality is amazing.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
The Contour is a good option, but I don't think they make Fish eye for it
I use Contours now for racing and car videos, FYI it's 170 degrees. I haven't used my GoPro for months.

Recent morning drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZCMXZqbq18

* one-button record
* up to EIGHT hours of video (with 32G card)

works for me.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Recent morning drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZCMXZqbq18
What's up with the constantly moving black box around the video? Seems like the top black bar was moving up and down the whole time. Don't think I've seen that on any YouTube or dashcam video before...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't know what that is. I'll be making more vids in that car, and the Yaris, maybe the answer will reveal itself.

@ PK: I know the Contour is a higher priced range, but it's cheaper than a GoPro and my favorite -- just thought I'd put it out there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
caineroad

idiots, both contour and gopro are not designed for the purpose of a car black box, there is no argument. Please get a dedicated dash camera like the blackvue, vico or others.