Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
dferguson2

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
dead fan motor

I am almost ready to get rid of my 08 yaris. I took two weeks to get the damn serpentine belt to quit squealing, and was strange because is was always to the left and when running the a/c, and the a/c would stop working while turning. Anyway, now that the sloshing sound has stopped, the fan motor is dead. I checked the fuse and it was good, and I checked the wires connecting the fan. No go. So now do I bend over and take it to the dealer to fix, trade in the car and run like hell, or try to fix it myself. This is frustrating to the "t" and unexpected for a Toyota car.
dferguson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I assume you mean the blower fan inside of the car?

If so, it runs off the 40A HTR fuse (in the under hood fuse panel) and the control of it is off the 10A GAUGE fuse in the fuse panel that is under the bottom of the dash. Also, the A/C Amplifier (ECU for the A/C) operates off the 7.5A AC fuse in the under the bottom of the dash fuse panel.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Sloshing sound? Like water sloshing?
There are threads here where the drain gets plug up on the blower housing for the heater and filling up with condensation.
Maybe you blower housing is full of water and it got into the fan motor. Causing the motor to malfunction.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
dferguson2

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
dead fan motor

Yeah it is the fan behind the glove box. I doesn't move with or without the air. The compressor is working, because with the a/c on there is cold air coming out. I did drain the box. The fan fuses have been checked, all okay. I am giving up and buy a corolla or a camry. This is unusual for a toyota to have these types of problems. My folks get over 300k miles with any faults or mechanical problems.
dferguson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dferguson2 View Post
Yeah it is the fan behind the glove box. I doesn't move with or without the air. The compressor is working, because with the a/c on there is cold air coming out. I did drain the box. The fan fuses have been checked, all okay. I am giving up and buy a corolla or a camry. This is unusual for a toyota to have these types of problems. My folks get over 300k miles with any faults or mechanical problems.

Cars have problems. Even Yaris's. (but not in my experience, ECHOs) Your car will PROBABLY be Ok once you fix it. (maybe something is jamming the fan blades?)

How much will a shop charge you to fix it? $300?

How much will a new car cost you? $5000? $10,000?

Which is gonna cost you less buying a new car or fixing your old one? How do you know the new one isnt going to have problems too?

Yes its discourageing having problems with a car that by all rights should not be doing this. The idea is to get out of it in the best possible financial shape you can. Anything else is going to cost a LOT of money.

Maybe it is.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
If you expect to just drive a car and it never to fail, good luck! The Problem didn't "All of a sudden" go BAM! It gave you symptoms of starting to have a problem, and you elected to ignore or at least not to have them corrected by someone knowledgeable... If you don't know how, get it to someone who does! Don't blame the equipment for the operator's inadequacy...... If your mechanic took a WEEK to stop a belt squealing, would you still go back to that same mechanic? Sometimes paying someone to get something repaired is CHEAPER than trying to stumble through getting it fixed. The Yaris is a FANTASTIC piece of machinery, when cared for properly, and it's returns to any owner is hard to beat.......

Just my 2 cents.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
This is unusual for a toyota to have these types of problems.
Actually it is not that unusual .. ALL cars have their issues. Yes even Toyota's. My brother in law is the service manager at a Toyota dealer and they are so busy they can hardly keep up. Yes . . even Corolla's and Camry's have their own issues.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I've read a fair number of posts on YW where, in frustration, the OP states they are about to give up and buy another car....AND IT IS USUALLY A DIFFERENT MODEL TOYOTA!....and deservedly so! How many other car manufacturers have that type of loyalty? Not many, I would think.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Actually it is not that unusual .. ALL cars have their issues. Yes even Toyota's. My brother in law is the service manager at a Toyota dealer and they are so busy they can hardly keep up. Yes . . even Corolla's and Camry's have their own issues.
Does your brother in law live in your area? I've only been there in the Summer, but I would think your Winter climate would be hard on most cars.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
If you expect to just drive a car and it never to fail, good luck! The Problem didn't "All of a sudden" go BAM! It gave you symptoms of starting to have a problem, and you elected to ignore or at least not to have them corrected by someone knowledgeable... If you don't know how, get it to someone who does! Don't blame the equipment for the operator's inadequacy...... If your mechanic took a WEEK to stop a belt squealing, would you still go back to that same mechanic? Sometimes paying someone to get something repaired is CHEAPER than trying to stumble through getting it fixed. The Yaris is a FANTASTIC piece of machinery, when cared for properly, and it's returns to any owner is hard to beat.......

Just my 2 cents.
^^^^^This. My serpentine belt squealed the day after I had it replaced. I took it back that day, was out in under 30 minutes, and it has never squealed again. I'd get a different mechanic.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Cars have problems. Even Yaris's. (but not in my experience, ECHOs) Your car will PROBABLY be Ok once you fix it. (maybe something is jamming the fan blades?)

How much will a shop charge you to fix it? $300?

How much will a new car cost you? $5000? $10,000?

Which is gonna cost you less buying a new car or fixing your old one? How do you know the new one isnt going to have problems too?

Yes its discourageing having problems with a car that by all rights should not be doing this. The idea is to get out of it in the best possible financial shape you can. Anything else is going to cost a LOT of money.

Maybe it is.
Bronsin is right. Let your head rule in this situation, not your emotions.