Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Wink J.D. Power's 2012 Dependability study

Winner Subcompact category - Take a wild guess.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/14-mo...d=autos_3225#1

cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
About time they woke-up.......
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Boy, once that darn center gauge cluster is gone, all is good in the world!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Did you read some of the comments posted to the page you linked to? Ouch!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Yeah,you know it's their commets(they don't matter),not our commets...
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Sparcoboy

Drives: 2008 XP9 by Sparco
What do many americans have with stuff built in the US, they think when it's built there, it's better? And half of the people just say toyota's bad just because of the recalls, at least they aknowledge their faults and do something about it. VAG's TDI engines are known to have fault and they just do nothing lol. Proud to drive a Toyota :D
Sparcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Did you read some of the comments posted to the page you linked to? Ouch!
Yeah, they are pretty hilarious in my opinion... Seems like a lot of pissed off domestic union members are posting in the comments section there. This one really stood to me...

Quote:
GM has more engineers employed than toyota has employees. Toyota has 4 models assembled in the US and GM has over 20. JD power is full of crap, whichever car company pays them the most money wins their awards. I trust motor trend or a car magazine more than JD for they actually do a head to head comparison and they actually know what there talking about. I sell GMC and bring any toyota you want down here and we'll have a head to head shoot out. hell bring your cr-v down here and ill put it up against my terrain. I dare you to bring a tundra down here lol. You buy a toyota and the dealer will get a cut maybe 1000. atleast 50% percent of what you pay goes to japan. Didnt Japan surpris attack pearl harbor and kill 5,000 americans? yeah ill support that country lol. Buy a toyota whatever or honda or whatever japenese car but I dont want to hear a freaking word out of any of your mouths about the americans wearing uniforms made in china for the olympics. Go USA screw the non supporters for you can go to japan and suck an egg roll
I'd like to take him up on that offer to "bring any toyota you want down here and we'll have a head to head shoot out."

"Well, here's my Yaris, and over there's my wife's Corolla, let's do that head-to-head shoot-out! Oh, GMC doesn't offer a comparable vehicle to either of these two cars?! You don't say... Well, I guess that means that I win, right? Wait, why are you getting so upset?"

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
When I bought my Yaris, I drove my 1988 Honda Accord LXI with 246'000 miles on it to the dealer and I made it a point to drag the salesman over to the Honda and tell him everything, EVERYTHING still worked in it, the Sunroof, cruise control all power windows, door locks, mirrors AC, everything, and the only reason I was looking for a new car was because the body above the wheel wells was literally rotting off.

I told him I expect my next car to last as long with the same reliability, (of course I had been lurking here for sometime before I joined and had already made my mind up that I was going to buy a Yari LB).

Had tried the Focus not impressed, same with the FIT.

cheers,

As an aside - I tossed a bottle of techron into the tank after my recent oil change @ 26'000 miles, UltraGuage on this tank 45.4 mpg so far. Although the UltraGuage always seems to be about 1 mpg higher than actual pump/mileage calc, Stop at first click. So I am guessing 44 and half.

Now in the summer this is a game for me, all this mpg stuff. the 2 sweet spots appear to be 42 mph, and 60.3 mph, I barely arrive at stop signs and red lights, cruise control is engaged ALWAYS, foot is almost never on the brake, always being taken off the gas. Stock tires @ 38 psi.

I do wish sometimes those sales guys in Hanover weren't such......................well I would have bought that 5 speed instead of the Auto.............................

cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
About time they woke-up.......
Here is something I have been hearing for the last 40 years: "The quality is nearly equal to that of the Japanese," or "American automobile manufactures have nearly caught the Japanese when it comes to quality."

Sound familiar?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Not a surprise. My family has owned Toyota's for many years. Very reliable, fun vehicles.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
(quoting from article)

"GM has more engineers employed than Toyota has employees."
Bigger isn't always better.
Just look at the government.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Well, that explains why Chevy chose to put the distributor on the back of the V8 engines in the 60's. You could not see to adjust the points without removing the hood. They also put the spark plugs in a place that required one to access them from under the car.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Main reason I bought my Yaris is because of reliability. The thing that counts the most to me is how often I'll have to take my car in to the garage once the warranty expires. Had a Corolla previous to my Yaris. Nearly zero problems (and it was an old, used car). All the American cars I've owned have sucked, with the worse car I ever owned in terms of reliability being the VW Golf. I'm sticking with Toyota. May go to Honda at some point. But I'm keeping my Yaris until the wheels fall off. And if American car companies made a subcompact that was as reliable as what the Japanese put out, notwithstanding my hatred for the UAW, I'd seriously consider buying American again. But, quite honestly, based on my past experience with American cars, I just don't trust them.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
My late father had an 1989 Chevy Corsica that lasted 376,000+ miles before the tranny started to slip (engine still worked). The drive train on that thing was solid. Lots of power for a 3.0L V6. The interior started falling apart from day 1 though, but that was one heck of a car.

On the other hand, I had one of the first 800 IS300's that came into the country back in 2000. Paid full price too. Expectations for this car was sky high. I owned it 22 months before the warranty expired (hit the miles, not time). In those 22 months, the car was back at the dealer for warranty repairs 12 times. Tire recall, 4 out of 5 bent rims (full size spare), 3 radios put in, one rear shock leaking, and the plastic shielding under the car kept getting ripped off the car at highway speeds (with no impact). Even the seat-back failed and a new one needed to be ordered from Japan, after which, they had to remove the leather from the old seat back and "glue it back" to the new seat back. They had my car for nearly 3 weeks that time. I swore I'd never buy another Toyota after that IS300.

In 2011, I ate those words and bought an 08 Yaris. No problems at all with this car. It's as simple as my college car (1981 Datsun 210), so I'm expecting very low maintenance with rock solid reliability. The bare-bones simplicity alone eliminates some long-term issues (auto-tranny, and electronics such as window actuators/buttons, etc).

So far, my Yaris is proving itself to be living up to my expectations.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote