Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Bronsin Goes To The Toyota Dealer To See What Sup Wit Dat

There is a new Toyota mega dealer on Route 73 in Mount Laurel NJ. (the old one is a parts store now)

I went window shopping today and this is what I saw! (all models 2012. NO 2013)

Scion iQ. There were eight of them all identically priced. $16,000 bottom line every one.

There were mucho Prius (20?) models which ranged from $40,000 for the plug in model to $23,000 for the Prius C. There WAS a plug in for $33,000. There was something called the Model Two and the V which was confusing. There were three C's each $25,000. There was one C that was $23,000. There were lots of Model Twos and they were all $25,000.

There were a grandtotal of TWO Yari. Both were four door hatches with auto and they were both BOTTOM LINE $16,000 and change. One was black and one was silver. I guess that says everyting you need to know about which is the BEST model of them all. Too bad but they did not have the handicap special (extremely wide doors) 2 door models. They hopefully would have been less. I did not see any leftover Classic 2011s which I would have bought in an instant if they were two doors!

PS I think the 12s styling SUCKS especially the interior. Too busy. Center speedo and dual glove boxes for me! The exterior sucks too compared to the 11s but admiddedly not as bad as the interiors. (forgive me personal opinion here) HOWEVER if I were to choose from any of the above it would be the 2012 Yaris even if it means giving up my Yaris World do it yourself $10 cruise control.

Maybe the one I would buy if I desparately needed a car was a used 2009 four door hatch with auto RED because I dont drive much (<5000 miles a year) with 82,000 miles Toyota certified $11,000. It was beautiful.

But I will tell you a secret although I will NOT disclose its location. Theres a NEW Smart 2013 WITHOUT AC sitting on a lot for $13,000 BOTTOM LINE. It ios missing a left front hubcap but I would INSIST it be replaced. I am throughly SICK of driving an automatic (doesnt slow down when you take your foot off the gas). I have driven the Smart with it auto clutch five speed and it DOES slow down when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

So the Yaris is $7000 LESS than the cheapest Prius! And there are CHEAPER Yari! The iQ is the same price and you can put a LOT of stuff in a hatchabck Yaris!

Last edited by bronsin; 09-03-2012 at 05:38 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
did you check the fr-s ?

saw one again on the road earlier today ...hot chick is behind the wheel
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
bronsin

What is fr-s?

Ques qu c'est "hot chick"? Is that something you get at Popeyes?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
lol...
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
LOL.... popeyes sounds good for dinnah
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I guess it was a combined Toyota + Scion dealer?

Prius C's go for $20,920 or less here:
http://www.lacarguy.com/details/New+...8574+Hollywood
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I guess it was a combined Toyota + Scion dealer?

Prius C's go for $20,920 or less here:
http://www.lacarguy.com/details/New+...8574+Hollywood
What I saw was the price on the sticker.

What YOU saw was an advertisement. (apparently)

What do Yaris's go for there?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Just because it is cheaper doesn't make the Yaris better than the Prius. It is not always about the money.

I personally don't like the 2012 Yaris at all ... I think it is pretty fugly looking. But the Prius is better looking from the front .. and well from the back, it has a little bit to be desired.

The Yaris Hybrid also suffers from the Fugly syndrome.

IMHO .. the nicest Yaris' are the 2007-2011 Years in the Liftback configuration, sorry Sedans you are also just too plain looking to make the grade.

It should also be noted .. there are 4 versions of the Prius C (Prius City) .. and they range from the 1 version (cheapest) to the 4 version (most money). So unless you know what model you are looking at .. it is tough to make a comparison.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Just because it is cheaper doesn't make the Yaris better than the Prius. It is not always about the money.

In 2012, trust me, its about the money and nothing BUT the money!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
What I saw was the price on the sticker.
What YOU saw was an advertisement. (apparently)
The sticker is also an "advertisement" and not what anyone should ever pay.

Just talked to my friend who OWNS 'LA Car Guy', and that is the advertised price as you suggested.
The actual price if you go in and negotiate is LOWER, of course.

Cheapest Yaris on their site is $16k.
http://www.lacarguy.com/details/New+...7266+Hollywood
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
That would make the Prius C about $4k more than the Yaris. Sure does make it sweeter of a deal. I believe that money is probably 25% of why people buy cars.

But I don't know if I would want a stripped down car .. as I believe my friend with a Prius C paid around 31k, but I think that was pretty much fully loaded.

I know a lot of people don't think it is a good deal .. but there are MANY MANY more cars out there that are much more money yet and people still buy them. I still believe that buying a car is a very personal thing .. and it is about whether the car says something to the prospective owner.

For me the Yaris meant good gas mileage and a car to drive in the city (which is about 95% of the driving I do). I really didn't care if it had things like cruise, but things like how zippy and fun it is to drive in the city sold me on the Yaris.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
There is a new Toyota mega dealer on Route 73 in Mount Laurel NJ. (the old one is a parts store now)

I went window shopping today and this is what I saw! (all models 2012. NO 2013)

Scion iQ. There were eight of them all identically priced. $16,000 bottom line every one.

There were mucho Prius (20?) models which ranged from $40,000 for the plug in model to $23,000 for the Prius C. There WAS a plug in for $33,000. There was something called the Model Two and the V which was confusing. There were three C's each $25,000. There was one C that was $23,000. There were lots of Model Twos and they were all $25,000.

There were a grandtotal of TWO Yari. Both were four door hatches with auto and they were both BOTTOM LINE $16,000 and change. One was black and one was silver. I guess that says everyting you need to know about which is the BEST model of them all. Too bad but they did not have the handicap special (extremely wide doors) 2 door models. They hopefully would have been less. I did not see any leftover Classic 2011s which I would have bought in an instant if they were two doors!

PS I think the 12s styling SUCKS especially the interior. Too busy. Center speedo and dual glove boxes for me! The exterior sucks too compared to the 11s but admiddedly not as bad as the interiors. (forgive me personal opinion here) HOWEVER if I were to choose from any of the above it would be the 2012 Yaris even if it means giving up my Yaris World do it yourself $10 cruise control.

Maybe the one I would buy if I desparately needed a car was a used 2009 four door hatch with auto RED because I dont drive much (<5000 miles a year) with 82,000 miles Toyota certified $11,000. It was beautiful.

But I will tell you a secret although I will NOT disclose its location. Theres a NEW Smart 2013 WITHOUT AC sitting on a lot for $13,000 BOTTOM LINE. It ios missing a left front hubcap but I would INSIST it be replaced. I am throughly SICK of driving an automatic (doesnt slow down when you take your foot off the gas). I have driven the Smart with it auto clutch five speed and it DOES slow down when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

So the Yaris is $7000 LESS than the cheapest Prius! And there are CHEAPER Yari! The iQ is the same price and you can put a LOT of stuff in a hatchabck Yaris!
The prices you are typing are way above the base MSRP for each level. Do all of these cars have Pac stickers (a DEALER affixed added final sticker than has added dealer markup as an item, worthless dealer added options that cost the dealer 1% of what they're charging, or both of these) or are the amounts you're quoting from the FACTORY sticker and the dealer just ordered each car with a lot of FACTORY OPTIONS? I'm not surprised that a dealership in that location would primarily order cars with lots of factory options or slap on a Pac sticker or both. They probably figure there are enough people from Moorestown and other like areas who don't care that much about what they pay for the car. The Prius C that I sat in at my local dealer was a Four, but it DID NOT have a Pac sticker and didn't have any factory options, so the MSRP was the same as on the Toyota website. The Prius C and the 'regular' or 'standard' Prius each have 4 models/levels -- the One, the Two, the Three, and the Four. The different (sharply I think) Prius V is essentially the 'Prius station wagon'. For some reason I thought you lived in the northern part of New Jersey, not the southern part. Much easier to drive around in the southern part, at least the last time I was there. When visiting Philadelphia, I stayed in Maple Shade and hung out at the Barnes and Noble in Mount Laurel. The outside of the '12 Yaris is growing on me, but the dash in our 2nd gen cars is SO much better.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The prices you are typing are way above the base MSRP for each level. Do all of these cars have Pac stickers (a DEALER affixed added final sticker than has added dealer markup as an item, worthless dealer added options that cost the dealer 1% of what they're charging, or both of these) or are the amounts you're quoting from the FACTORY sticker and the dealer just ordered each car with a lot of FACTORY OPTIONS? I'm not surprised that a dealership in that location would primarily order cars with lots of factory options or slap on a Pac sticker or both. They probably figure there are enough people from Moorestown and other like areas who don't care that much about what they pay for the car. The Prius C that I sat in at my local dealer was a Four, but it DID NOT have a Pac sticker and didn't have any factory options, so the MSRP was the same as on the Toyota website. The Prius C and the 'regular' or 'standard' Prius each have 4 models/levels -- the One, the Two, the Three, and the Four. The different (sharply I think) Prius V is essentially the 'Prius station wagon'. For some reason I thought you lived in the northern part of New Jersey, not the southern part. Much easier to drive around in the southern part, at least the last time I was there. When visiting Philadelphia, I stayed in Maple Shade and hung out at the Barnes and Noble in Mount Laurel. The outside of the '12 Yaris is growing on me, but the dash in our 2nd gen cars is SO much better.
All I can do is relay what the stickers said. What price the dealer will agree to in another matter entirely. But if a cheaper price could be negotiated for a Prius it stands to reason one could also be had for a Yaris. Or iQ.

No these were NOT PAC stickers with dealer added extras.

If I am ever back there I will take pictures of the stickers so you can see for yourself.

Interesting that posters are claiming the Prius can be had for $20k when in reality the cheapest sticker I saw was $23K.

However for some strange reason a Yaris sticker is 16k but the posters claim you will pay THAT and not $13k.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
The dealer in my city has two Prius Cs on the lot and one is about $20,300, I believe (FWIW).
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
The dealer in my city has two Prius Cs on the lot and one is about $20,300, I believe (FWIW).
Wow. Didnt see any Prius with a sticker like that.

Can you take a picture? You say you "believe" its $20K. I saw what I saw and am reporting just that.

I know when I was shopping for a car in 2000 I saw a Prius in the showroom that had a sticker of $27k. There was a $3000 premium added to that by the dealer so the price was actually $30k.

Since then I dont trust the dealer!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Sorry, I was mistaken. It's $20,964.

http://kolartoyota.com/Duluth-MN/For...e-Car/9687727/
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
bronsin

Hmmm. Im getting ~33 mpg with the Yaris and they CLAIM 53 mpg with the Prius. So that is 20 mpg advantage for the Prius NOT 10 or 12. So that means over 100k miles Yaris uses 3333 gallons of gas Prius uses <2000....

$7000 for Prius gas
$11,666 for Yaris gas

Yaris $16 k to buy

Prius 21k to buy

Breaks even after 100k miles....

Gas goes to $7 breaks even after 50k miles?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
All I can do is relay what the stickers said. What price the dealer will agree to in another matter entirely. But if a cheaper price could be negotiated for a Prius it stands to reason one could also be had for a Yaris. Or iQ.

No these were NOT PAC stickers with dealer added extras.

If I am ever back there I will take pictures of the stickers so you can see for yourself.

Interesting that posters are claiming the Prius can be had for $20k when in reality the cheapest sticker I saw was $23K.

However for some strange reason a Yaris sticker is 16k but the posters claim you will pay THAT and not $13k.
Sorry, just meant to emphasize, not shout, my bad. When I use all caps, it's just to draw visual attention so the words stick out...I never mean to shout. The other thought I was having while reading your thread starting post (but forgot to put in my previous reply...also my bad) is thinking that Holman might be a small inventory dealership that needs to have a higher return on investment per car, as opposed to a high volume dealer, to make the numbers work. I've noticed in multiple states that smaller dealerships tend to stock cars with more options and models as high up in the pecking order as the market will bear. I typed Mount Laurel, NJ in the Advanced Search on the Toyota website and 5 dealerships appear on the first page -- Holman Toyota in Mount Laurel and also Liberty Toyota, Toyota of Runnymeade, Champion Toyota, and Faulkner Toyota. According to the website of each dealer Holman in Mount Laurel has a new car inventory of 281, Liberty = 343, Toyota of Runnymeade = 153, Faulkner = 218, and Champion (in Philadelphia) is under 700. I usually go to either Gullo Toyota or Fred Haas Toyota World. Gullo's current new car inventory is 2,231 and Fred Haas Toyota World's current new car inventory is 3,322.

I bought my Yaris while on a trip. I searched about 400 dealerships within a 600 mile safe driving distance from Chicopee, MA (only about 600 safe miles left on my steering rack) and only found I think it was 11 manual trans 3-door Yari...and only 5 had the convenience group (so rear window defroster) and hand crank windows. Re my number one choice, the dealership lied re inventory (online) and the car was still on a boat. I drove to my second choice and purchased it. It didn't have a PAC sticker and it was the first car in my life I didn't try to score a deal on. They knew what they had.....they had moved it from another dealership within their group. It was an enjoyable experience. These top two choices were at dealerships that have current inventories of 211 and 134, so you can have a small dealership staffed with jerks, or you can have an enjoyable and more personal experience that is likely what a small store tries to pride itself on. I think small stores will also try to keep as close to the customer as possible because they are eager to keep that person in the fold for service.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote