Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
A compliment about Tokico reds

Installed these and some Eibach Pros a few weeks ago and have the reds set on 2 under full hard. 7.5 under full hard is where full soft is.

I just yesterday adjusted it to 7 under full hard to see what almost full soft feels like just for S&Gs and after a couple miles, on the highway mostly, I felt like the car was going to float off the road! It was a super comfy ride, but I didn't feel the road like I do when on 2 under full hard.

I pulled over and put it back on 2 under so fast your Yaris would spin.

For those looking for the ultimate in adjusting the ride in terms of firm to soft, and not having the money for fully adjustable coil-overs, then the Tokico reds and whatever springs you can throw at them is your best deal.

Got mine from MI (gotta give the plug).

Pat
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Yarflana

Ok been riding around on these at 7 turns from full hard and that is too soft. I put them on 4 from full hard and that is just about right. I will likely put at 3 when installing the DF210s this weekend to avoid rub and that will be a good balance with those softer springs.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
hw6515

Drives: 08 Yaris AT, 350Z GT MT
Can you post some pic of that setup?

Also did you run into any issues while doing the install?

Did you cut the bump-stop in the front shocks?

My reds are on the mail, I will probably do the install this weekend and any tip or suggestions will be appreciated.
hw6515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Did you cut the bump-stop in the front shocks?
That would be based on the springs used (how much the car is lowered), not the struts or shocks.

Any drop 1.5" or more should be accompanied by cutting the bump stops in half. Tanabe's DF210 instructions include this step.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
hw6515

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That would be based on the springs used (how much the car is lowered), not the struts or shocks.

Any drop 1.5" or more should be accompanied by cutting the bump stops in half. Tanabe's DF210 instructions include this step.
The Springs are Megan Racing, advertised to drop 1.5"
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Yarflana

@ hw6515 - See this link to see my car in my garage - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/ima...0308-00043.jpg

I am about to put DF210s on there so it will lower it another 1/2 to 1 inch hopefully.

I had no issues with the install. I highly suggest you get an alignment afterward as most will recommend. Mine was toed outward, although my camber was dead on.

On the bumpstops, the reds come with shorter bump stops, so I used those. No problem.

You want to ensure you have the right tools. On the upper mount, I used a Lowe's spline drive ratchet and socket where I could put the allen wrench in the top of the stock strut to keep it from moving during top nut removable. I had barely enough room without removing all the cowling so the right tools make a world of difference.

I used a torque wrench as well and followed the recommended torque specs from the TSB that Garm from Micro Image has graciously posted on his forum (http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...TECH-TSB-FILES).

I don't plan to cut the bumpstops further with the DF210s as they won't lower the car enough, but if you go to coilovers, you may need to trim them 25% or more if you end up lowering the car more than 2 inches from stock.

Garm, who chimed in above may have some other pointers.

You will love the ability to adjust this and you can do front and back at different settings to suit your taste, as some others have. I have it on setting 4 right now which seems perfect.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
hw6515

Will definitely print that pdf before doing the install.

I am well prepared tool wise, so it should be a very smooth install.

Them red puppies are on the truck for delivery(tyvm Garm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
@ hw6515 - See this link to see my car in my garage - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/ima...0308-00043.jpg

I am about to put DF210s on there so it will lower it another 1/2 to 1 inch hopefully.

I had no issues with the install. I highly suggest you get an alignment afterward as most will recommend. Mine was toed outward, although my camber was dead on.

On the bumpstops, the reds come with shorter bump stops, so I used those. No problem.

You want to ensure you have the right tools. On the upper mount, I used a Lowe's spline drive ratchet and socket where I could put the allen wrench in the top of the stock strut to keep it from moving during top nut removable. I had barely enough room without removing all the cowling so the right tools make a world of difference.

I used a torque wrench as well and followed the recommended torque specs from the TSB that Garm from Micro Image has graciously posted on his forum (http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...TECH-TSB-FILES).

I don't plan to cut the bumpstops further with the DF210s as they won't lower the car enough, but if you go to coilovers, you may need to trim them 25% or more if you end up lowering the car more than 2 inches from stock.

Garm, who chimed in above may have some other pointers.

You will love the ability to adjust this and you can do front and back at different settings to suit your taste, as some others have. I have it on setting 4 right now which seems perfect.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Yarflana

I would use this pdf attachment in the first post of this thread as a guide as well. It gets to the point of things quickly without a lot of mumbo jumbo.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...tall+coilovers