Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Aftermarket steering wheel audio control??

Has anyone found anything that works with our car, got a new headunit, looking to get some audio controls mounted on steering wheel for better access, thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Steve (Echo_hrs) bought a JDM Yaris steering wheel with the audio controls and connected it to his aftermarket radio using one of the PAC steering wheel control modules. If you don't have cruise control installed you have two extra wires in the clockspring that can be used. If you have cruise, a JDM or 3rd generation Yaris clockspring has the extra wires required to run both cruise and audio controls.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
caineroad

Is there anything out there that is just an aftermarket clip on thing?

3rd gen yaris, you mean 2012+?

Wasn't there is a thread somewhere that people tried to fit 2012 wheels into our yaris but no success?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Is there anything out there that is just an aftermarket clip on thing?

3rd gen yaris, you mean 2012+?

Wasn't there is a thread somewhere that people tried to fit 2012 wheels into our yaris but no success?
The clip on ones require the HU to support IR remote controls.

I am not sure about the 2012+ steering wheel fit on a 2nd gen Yaris, but I am almost positive that the clockspring would work.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Aftermarket HUs have remotes for steering wheels

Below is an example for pioneer hus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Whe...39c0e5&vxp=mtr
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
caineroad

this is the one I bought:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28867
Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
That may be intended to work with the Toyota OEM steering wheel controls. Does the manual for it explain the pinout?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
caineroad

This is where I bought it and the information given

http://www.autodvdgps.com/car-dvd-gp...ies-p-565.html
Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
hi scott, i know this is an old thread. but after thorough searching online and in yw, I've come to conclude that if the clockspring connector below the column (white 10-pin/12-pin, the one beside the yellow one for the airbag) only has an X number of wires, then there are also X number of connections you can make with the connector to the steering wheel itself.
Example, if i have only 3 wires there, and since one of them is for the horn, i can only use the other 2 for steering wheel audio controls, bluetooth or cruise control.

Is this accurate? I mean, can we not "pin" the white connector below the column and also pin the connector on the steering wheel? in other words, does the clockspring ribbon have wires inside for this?
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
hi scott, i know this is an old thread. but after thorough searching online and in yw, I've come to conclude that if the clockspring connector below the column (white 10-pin/12-pin, the one beside the yellow one for the airbag) only has an X number of wires, then there are also X number of connections you can make with the connector to the steering wheel itself.
Example, if i have only 3 wires there, and since one of them is for the horn, i can only use the other 2 for steering wheel audio controls, bluetooth or cruise control.

Is this accurate? I mean, can we not "pin" the white connector below the column and also pin the connector on the steering wheel? in other words, does the clockspring ribbon have wires inside for this?
That is correct - What you see for pins on the black connector is all that is run through the clockspring.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That is correct - What you see for pins on the black connector is all that is run through the clockspring.
Pft. Oh well goodbye steering wheel control project. Lol

Thanks scott!
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
here's the connector on the JDM audio control for reference.

enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
ReedH

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris Hybrid
Keep in mind that the cruise control also goes through the clockspring. I keep planning to tap into that clock spring connector to design a clever way to use the cruise control arm as steering wheel controls when the cruise control is not in use but just haven't had the time.
ReedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedH View Post
Keep in mind that the cruise control also goes through the clockspring. I keep planning to tap into that clock spring connector to design a clever way to use the cruise control arm as steering wheel controls when the cruise control is not in use but just haven't had the time.
It would be easier to just use a clockspring from a Toyota that has cruise and audio controls. Otherwise you would have to add a microcontroller and a digital pot to intercept the signal and generate the completely different voltage drops for cruise versus audio controls.