Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
looking to build engine...

hey guys i have talked to some of my friends in puerto rico and apparently there are a couple of toyota performance shops out there working on the
1nzfe engine.

now i was looking into getting a spare engine to take apart and rebuild and i wanted to know if the '00 Echo engine is the same as in our cars. i found a couple of those for $250-300 locally and if they are the same i'm prob gonna pick one up this weekend.

thanks.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
yea the engine is essentially the same, it is the 1nzfe, I'm not entirely sure if the engine maybe has different cams in it or something similar like that but the castings and all I'm sure are the same. I know the scion xb and xa engine are the same, I am actually picking one up sometime next week from a local junkyard for the same 250$.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
yea the engine is essentially the same, it is the 1nzfe, I'm not entirely sure if the engine maybe has different cams in it or something similar like that but the castings and all I'm sure are the same. I know the scion xb and xa engine are the same, I am actually picking one up sometime next week from a local junkyard for the same 250$.

thanks for the reply.

i was talking to a friend of mine who just moved back to puerto rico to work for bmw, that there are a lot of echos/yarii runing around down there, that seem to be modified more than the ones out here.

another tech he works with just got a yaris lb about 3 months ago and is in the process installing a turbo kit on a built spare engine. He seems to really know how to work on these engines since he has owned 2 other Echos which both were turbo. He will be using Sakura FC10 management system which is the same one he used for both Echo's. thr turbo kit set him back about $1300plus the FC10, which he didn't tell me how much it cost.

My friend saw a couple of pics of the Echos and was really impressed with the work and told me about them. he also gave me the guys number and i talked to him and he says that if you build the engine, as he is doing with the yaris, you could achieve 220-250whp(for street).

this is all he said/he did but after talking to the guy i'm really starting to believe in it. he is a very smart guy and has the tuning knowledege, hopefully he can come thru with a nice kit for cheap.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
1300 seems a little hard to believe unless he is welding everything for free, It also depends too what exactly is included in his kit, upgraded injectors, intercooler, all piping, wastegate, intake filter. Just questions to ask you know before you have all the hidden costs come out. What turbo is he using? I don't know of any turbo cheaper then 500$ that works at least. That right there is almost half the total cost. As far as his power goals, its possible. I got 182 whp and 184 ftlbs at only 7.5 psi on a safe tune.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
joey1320

Quote:
1300 seems a little hard to believe unless he is welding everything for free, It also depends too what exactly is included in his kit, upgraded injectors, intercooler, all piping, wastegate, intake filter. Just questions to ask you know before you have all the hidden costs come out. What turbo is he using? I don't know of any turbo cheaper then 500$ that works at least. That right there is almost half the total cost. As far as his power goals, its possible. I got 182 whp and 184 ftlbs at only 7.5 psi on a safe tune.
well the $1300 is how much he had invested in the kit. he is not seliing any kitss. the manifold and the rest of the stuff was made at his uncle's shop, so he only paid for the parts and his uncle put it together(welding/fabrication). not sure of what turbo he used and i didn't ask.
(even though i got a new bw.k26 for $355 from down there before)

besides the manifold he really didn't give me any info on prices on the rest, just that he had put $1300 into it. so if my friend can get some pics. i'll post them here.

but the cool thing is that his uncle is now getting into the 4cyl. from being a great rotary tuner. so if everything goes well he may be putting some stuff together for 4cyl.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
I'm not sure about the markets over there, but over here and in Australia most Echos (NCP13) have a 1 or 1.3 litre engine.

You better make sure that it is a 1NZ (I think maybe the RS models are 1.5).
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
I'm not sure about the markets over there, but over here and in Australia most Echos (NCP13) have a 1 or 1.3 litre engine.

You better make sure that it is a 1NZ (I think maybe the RS models are 1.5).

the market over there gets the 1.5l engine. same as here.