Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Intake selection

Hello guys,

Back again :).

I'm buying an air intake tomorrow and after searching and speaking with a couple of members I decided to gets the Injen CAI which is on sale, but I got a little scared seeing the installation instructions and the pain of having to remove the bumper to reach the filter.

I was thinking about getting the aFe intake but it says, "Yaris 1.5L" and I "think" my yaris is a 1.3 litter. Not sure (3 door, manual tran, 2010, everything is manual inside )

Here are the links for more reference.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/aFe...L-51-11302.htm

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Inj...ris-SP2024.htm

Thanks for any input.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
All US Yaris have 1.5L 1NZ-FE engines, so either would be fine.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I have the Afe and I love it

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
All US Yaris have 1.5L 1NZ-FE engines, so either would be fine.
Good to know this, now I have no worries.

Do you have an opinion on the intakes? If I'm not incorrect the injen will be harder to install but it will also have a slightly better gain?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I have a trd one which seems to be the best one in terms of build quality - nicely polished stainless steel .. but would go with AFE or K&N this time becasue of easier access
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I think they are all pretty similar (or negligibly different) as far as gains go, so it is really all about which one you like the looks of best.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
I don't have a Yaris, But I do have the same motor in my XB. I have had a INJEN CAI in my car since it was a few weeks old in 2003 a decade ago...WOW time flies Anyways I have the version that snorkels all the way down behind the running light cutout.
As far as any perceivable performance gain...?? I don't think its possible to even notice a improvement, In theory I'm sure it does..but its not anything you will notice. What it does deliver is a cool intake sucking noise..if you like that. I kinda do. At least it makes the sound of performance
In addition its a good looking well built unit with a resueable washable filter that I do oil IMO its important I re oil it every 3 months or so.

I lost the lil sticker I was supposed to get with it for the Calif smog laws..so I have to take it off every two years and re install the stock filter setup...only takes a 1/2 hour. So Ive donbe this close to 6-7 times back to the stock filter and Truthfully...I feel nor see no power difference from one to the other after 130,000. Id like to think I'm qualified to give a accurate impression. IMO its a wash. If there is a difference its flat out down hill on the freeway, when the speedo reads a optomistic 121 mph

FYI I also have a INJEN " fireball" axle back kit installed at the same time...same thing no difference in perceivable power, actually I do belive I lost a little off the line grunt..it does sound good..but the problem is when you get on it..everyone know what your doing so they floor it ...and them the inevitable humiliation of them blowing your doors off, be it either a Prius, mini van or neon...lol

Unfortunately there is a reason these cars are about the same speed as a SMART CAR...at least we have fun in them regardless

I had a 03 Matrix XRS with the 2zz 6 spd motor, I had Toyota install a TRD CAI...on that engine it made a "bold" difference you could feel, Unlike our motors, the XRS motor had the variable valve intake cam that could actually ingest ALOT of air and make power and rev past 7000 rpm!!!, something the Yaris/Scion motor cant really exploit "at least in stock form"
Obviouslly if you have engine work, cams and or supercharger or turbo..then the rules change and it would be able to utilize the added air and add substantial "noticeable" power gains.

I Don't think there is a traceable "performance" difference between TRD, INJEN or any E-Bay filter in any application, other than the theoretical design of a short ram vs, Long ram and colder air being injested. One last thing.....Obviouslly...use caution when approaching deep water..kiss of death.

I think you will be happy, just don't have large expectations.

Last edited by xb visitor; 11-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Form>Function

on our small little motors, any intake will net you pretty much the same gains. Maybe 2-3whp overall for any intake is about all you could expect. If you dont want the extra work just get one of the top mount short rams like the AFE or K&N

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
on our small little motors, any intake will net you pretty much the same gains. Maybe 2-3whp overall for any intake is about all you could expect. If you dont want the extra work just get one of the top mount short rams like the AFE or K&N
Users were satisfied with both, so I guess either choice would've been fine. But, since I read about cel problems with the aFe I got the injen. I also might get some help from someone who has a bit more experience to install it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Users were satisfied with both, so I guess either choice would've been fine. But, since I read about cel problems with the aFe I got the injen. I also might get some help from someone who has a bit more experience to install it.
Yea everyone seems to have those problems but I have never had one issue and never threw a code. Try reading through the DIY and attempt it yourself, its a great first mod to learn and its a great way to get a little hands on mechanic experience. Honestly it looks a lot harder than it really is.

Youll enjoy the injen no doubt, and dont forget to post pics once done!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
Try reading through the DIY and attempt it yourself, its a great first mod to learn and its a great way to get a little hands on mechanic experience. Honestly it looks a lot harder than it really is.

Youll enjoy the injen no doubt, and dont forget to post pics once done!
This.

But that doesnt mean i wont watch and help :)

my afe threw cels but it took some fiddling with the screws on the MAF to get it right.. im CEL free now for a while now actually
Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
im CEL free now for a while now actually
You might want to get tested once a year to make sure.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by catliektheif View Post
This.

But that doesnt mean i wont watch and help :)

my afe threw cels but it took some fiddling with the screws on the MAF to get it right.. im CEL free now for a while now actually
Good to have some help around, plus I only have a 40 piece socket set and a couple of screwdrivers .

Therefore, the help is greatly appreciated
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Injen>Afe
Old 11-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
no need, garm! Stomping on your instrument cluster rids all warning lights!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
hahahahahaha

Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
vaironl

Adding to this is a bypass valve necessary with this intake?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Not at all.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote