Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Lightbulb sliding sun visor anyone ?

My sedan, 2010, has less than liked non-sliding sun visors. You know, when traveling due North or South and the sun hits just so ? Some cars have a sun visor that not only flips out it slides out and becomes longer. Is there a year model out there that has a sliding visor and if so, will it fit ?
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
07 and 08 had sliding ones. They are readily available on ebay for about $30 per side. Toyota did away with them in 2009 and the speculation is that it was because of the curtain airbags.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
My 2011 3-door has slide out extensions in the sun visors. The passenger side is effective but because of the angle of the mirror, the driver side is blocked by the mirror so does not slide out enough unless you move the mirror and then you can't see behind you.

I would just apply a piece of black vinyl on the windshield behind the mirror. Although I may stick on a big TRD sticker on the windshield, 1980's style
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
my 07 yaris does not have sliding sun visors.

BUT.. the area that the sun visor doesn't cover have these black dots around the rear view mirror.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
my 07 yaris does not have sliding sun visors.

BUT.. the area that the sun visor doesn't cover have these black dots around the rear view mirror.
My Yaris has both (the black dots and the sliding visor extensions). In the SF Bay Area, I don't use the 'sliders' very often, but here in the Houston metro (so flat....angles seem to matter more) I use them all the time and haven't felt the need to augment their performance.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
JimKellyfan

Thanks, I will start looking, now I know, some 07's, and 08, and 11's. When I am headed down (or up) Rte. 77, it is a need, and it is just out of reach currently. It will be a nice add on.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
Thanks, I will start looking, now I know, some 07's, and 08, and 11's. When I am headed down (or up) Rte. 77, it is a need, and it is just out of reach currently. It will be a nice add on.
I think you will find that even with the pre-09 ones that ones with the curtain airbags do not have the sliders and ones without them do.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
JimKellyfan

Yeah, they should themselves slide out, rather than have plastic extenders that can shear or impale on impact. But, if we are getting hit in the side, I think the little plastic extender will be the least of the concern at the time. But, great observation, as I was wondering what the reason for not having them or having them all the time was. It looks as if some Corolla's will fit. Next wonderment, is did the Corolla's come with any that slid out themselves and not had the extenders ?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
MileyRickens

Drives: MileyRickens mini van
Send a message via AIM to MileyRickens
Check out this link on sun visor. Its probably the next best thing..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101083744
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
There's a simple way around this. Just get a sheet of thick paper, fold it around the sun visor and put a rubber band around the visor. When the sun is hitting just so, slide the paper over like you would the visor slide.

Inelegant, but a lot less work and cost than getting slides on the visors.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Yaristeve

Quote:
Yeah, they should themselves slide out, rather than have plastic extenders that can shear or impale on impact. But, if we are getting hit in the side, I think the little plastic extender will be the least of the concern at the time.
I don't think that is/was the logic. My 2011, 3-door has the curtains and the slide-out visors and the little black dots. But the little black dots are totally useless. Toyota should have just painted that area solid black. I mean, how many times does anyone look through the space between the mirror and the roof?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
JimKellyfan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I don't think that is/was the logic. My 2011, 3-door has the curtains and the slide-out visors and the little black dots. But the little black dots are totally useless. Toyota should have just painted that area solid black. I mean, how many times does anyone look through the space between the mirror and the roof?
So does your 2011 slide out as a whole ?

That would be the only kind I would buy, as the ones with the plastic extenders were omitted for good reason (they probably hurt the crash dummies in a manner we would choose to not visualize)
too late
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Yaristeve

Quote:
So does your 2011 slide out as a whole ?

That would be the only kind I would buy, as the ones with the plastic extenders were omitted for good reason (they probably hurt the crash dummies in a manner we would choose to not visualize)
too late
No, on my 2011, the whole visor does not slide. Just a plastic extender that tucks inside the visor slides out and makes the visor wider (somewhat). The slides are only about 4" tall and slide out like 5". They don't need to be much larger since they cover the space above the mirror fine. I've never used my visor to the side.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
JimKellyfan

ok, thanks.
I couldn't possibly convince you to give rough tape measurements of the closed visor and clip distance from mount or edge of visor, could I ?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
Yaristeve

Quote:
ok, thanks.
I couldn't possibly convince you to give rough tape measurements of the closed visor and clip distance from mount or edge of visor, could I ?
Sorry this took so long; hard for old geezers like me to figure out this newfangled digital carp. These photos should show how the extension works (behind mirror) and how long it is (2nd and 3rd pics).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg visor 1.JPG (100.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg visor 2.JPG (86.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg visor 3.JPG (90.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
I never use them behind the mirror, but damn are they ever freaking useful when the sun is coming from the left, like every time I'm going home.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
I never use them behind the mirror, but damn are they ever freaking useful when the sun is coming from the left, like every time I'm going home.
I use them the way you do, and also behind the mirror. There is something about the position of the sun, the angles, and the terrain in your area and here that prompts effective use of those slide outs. I've also noticed the same phenomenon in the LA/Orange County area when away from the mountains. Mine look like the ones in Yaristeve's pictures.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
JimKellyfan

thanks much !