Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
chancellor6869

Drives: yaris hatch is the sh*t
molnar rods and stock pistons

im ordering parts for my engine build today and i was wondering if i really need to order forged pistons for my new rods. ive heard that the pistons them selves are pretty strong. just currious on what you guys think i should do. i know forged is always better but im not expecting to get a whole lot of hp out of my build. do you think the stock pistons are good for 350hp? thats at the high end i doubt i will make that much power when im done.
chancellor6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
you should look at the "forced Induction" section. Lots of information there. Also, this may help. I linked this in another thread very recently

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32747
Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The stock pistons aren't grooved for a retaining ring so you'll either need to have one machined or you'll have to press the bushing out of the rod in order to convert the rod to a press fit style pin.

So basically it would be easier to purchase a piston designed for a bushed style rod than convert the stock piston to be used with a bushed rod.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
chancellor6869

Drives: yaris hatch is the sh*t
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
The stock pistons aren't grooved for a retaining ring so you'll either need to have one machined or you'll have to press the bushing out of the rod in order to convert the rod to a press fit style pin.

So basically it would be easier to purchase a piston designed for a bushed style rod than convert the stock piston to be used with a bushed rod.
this is very helpful. thank you.
chancellor6869 is offline   Reply With Quote