Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Questions from someone looking to buy a Yaris

I'm interested in buying a liftback 5 speed model. Are these available with cruise control? If not, are there aftermarket ones available? Also, are there aftermarket tachs available as well? I'm sure I will have other questions as well. Thanks.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Yes
Yes
and Yes

Hope this helps!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
grampi

Cool! Who sells them?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
NO, factory cruise is NOT an option on the lift back. Neither is a factory tach. You can get an aftermarket cruise specifically for the Yaris made by Rostra and your best bet for an aftermarket tach is a scangauge II. I plan on getting both; these are the last two upgrades on my list.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Check with your Local Toyota Dealership... if they are too expensive...

Ebay is always a good place to checkout...

Also you can use the Search Button uptop to find this past Thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=DIY+Cruise

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
rage2

Drives: 07 Black Yaris 5D
Cruise control is a dealer installed option up here in Canada. Also my Canadian RS has a tach, so I'm sure you can get the cluster from Canada too.
My Site - Beyond Car Forums
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I had the dealership install the Rostra cruise control on my liftback 5-speed when I took delivery. The unit looks and works great.
'07 3-door Meteorite Metallic Liftback: manual transmission, power package, 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat, ABS, side airbags, keyless entry, fog lights, 7-spoke 15" Toyota alloys, cruise control, TRD sway bar.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
grampi

Besides adding cruise control and a tach, I would probably want to go with a set of aftermerket rims and tires. I doubt I'd want to go with 17" tires and rims as I don't want the sidewall getting too short on the tires as it makes the ride too harsh. I'd probably want to go with a 16" rim. Also, I want to stay with a touring type tire rather than having to go with an H, V, or Z speed rated tire as they don't last very long. What size tire would I want to go with that would maintain the same overall diameter of the factory tires, and where's a good place to look for the rims? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
grampi

Also, where does the control module (the part with the button) for the Rostra cruise control mount?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
it's a stalk that mounts on the steering column and sits below and slightly forward of the turn signal stalk. Depending on how tall you are the steering wheel may block its view.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
lgcharlot
'07 YARIS HB 5-SPEED

Drives: '07 yaris 3-door hatchback
I installed the Rostra cruise control on my 5-speed hatchback. Installation was not too difficult, the hardest part was trying to attach the five wire taps in the tiny cramped space under the dash (I am 6'-2" and working under the dash of a car as small as the Yaris is no fun at all). The print quality of the instruction booklet was not too good, but the instructions were accurate enough. The unit works perfectly and is very smooth. The car has been driven about 3000 miles with the cruise control with no problems. Climbing long 6% grades in 5th gear, the unit has disengaged a few times, probably a built in feature to prevent overstressing/overheating the engine. Unit cost $250 with s/h from a mail-order place in the mid-west (don't remember the company name but you can find it easily enough by googling Rostra Cruise Control). You can't buy these direct from Rostra, only from vendors or Toyota dealerships. In some of the Southeastern states, you can get them ONLY from a Toyota dealer, and with their installation charge it costs more than $400 (ouch). Mead is correct-the steering wheel will probably block your view of the control stalk (I can't see mine), but since there are only three buttons (top, bottom, and end), you don't really need to see it to use it. Before you drill the hole in the lower steering wheel column cover to install the control stalk, make sure that the final position of the stalk will be well away from your left knee - you don't want to break it off by hitting it with your knee while operating the clutch.
lgcharlot is offline   Reply With Quote