Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Direct power stereo with toggle switch

I am sick and tired of having my stereo reboot when going from acessory and starting the engine.I tried reddit car audio but they are vague in explaining how to do.Basicallly I want the radio to be able to be used without key.

I know,I know.. I could forget that radio is on and drain battery but that does not bother me.

I have lots of experience with electronics(Building racing/aerial video quadcopters) so soldering and a multi is no prob.Thanks for any help.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
ercdvs

Drives: 2010 Yaris
wouldn't you simply switch the power wire going to the radio from being 12v ACC to a constant 12v source ?

you would likely find this at the fuse panel
Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
ercdvs

Drives: 2010 Yaris
wouldn't you simply switch the power wire going to the radio from being 12v ACC to a constant 12v source ?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

Yep. Should be able to just cut the ACC wire and tie it into the BATT wire. I'd just do it at the back of the head unit. Not sure about fuse ratings, but should be fine.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
No, doing that will kill the battery. You can add a diode to the acc power wire and then add in a jumper wire from 12V to the acc stereo side of the diode so you don't backfeed the acc circuit.

That way you can power up the stereo without the key, but maintain factory operation with the key.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I wasn't very clear: cut the acc wire and leave the harness side disconnected. Then splice connector side acc wire into batt wire so both wires get power from the battery. Will work fine unless the Yaris headunit does something unusual.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
Hi I got tired of leaving car in storage and having my single battery go completely dead I don't like resetting all my radio functions so the best thing I did was put two odessy batterys in my lb never had it happen again I have the 2nd battery on a isolated to shut it down if I choose and anytime I have done the big 3 and ran the zero Guage wire thru out the car and I run a dc power 180 amp alternator solved any prowler shortages I had witch was very small but I do run 2 kar series 1000/1 sub amps strapped pushing 2 jL audio jl6 10" subs in a sub floor set up and a kar series 300/4 amp for all my focal separates
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer

Last edited by pennyracer; 07-08-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Picture up load correctly
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I wasn't very clear: cut the acc wire and leave the harness side disconnected. Then splice connector side acc wire into batt wire so both wires get power from the battery. Will work fine unless the Yaris headunit does something unusual.
This will kill the battery. Even if you push the power button on the stereo to turn it off, it's still drawing power. The ACC wire is basically a remote power circuit to activate the internals of the stereo.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote