Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Red face Con-tact paper

I'll be driving 1300 miles over the Memorial Day weekend

So I was going to clear bra the Yaris but they want $650 for full coverage. I love my car but I'm not ready to spend 5% of the cars value to protect only the paint... so just for this trip I'm going to clear con-tact paper the front end.

So do you guys thnk I'm nuts? Have anyone try this before? I plan to do the hood (the 18" width should cover most of it in one pass ) Then I'll cut shapes to fit the bumper's compound shape. I don't plan on cover every sq inch. Parts of the bumper will be exposed, but hey better than nothing right?
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
The paint on our car is REALLY thin...

in 2-3 years you will most likely need a new pain job... If you really love your car that is!

$650 to protect your paint might be worth it... Depends on Where they put that stuff!

I have small paint chips on my hood already... and i have only had my car 6 months!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
IMO bra's, clearcoat temp bra's, and the permanent ones you mentioned rank right up there with the clear vinyl seat covers they used in the 50's and 60's

I bought the car because it looks good....enjoy it, don't make it look like crap. Add a couple coats of quality clear coat (if you really think you need protection) before it gets nicked up......I'm sure all materials w/compressor and spray gun could be had for $650!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Jokill

Drives: 2007 4door Yaris
This might meet your needs.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html
Jokill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Why not use the best protector ever ..... a fresh coat of wax . Thats what I do before long trips . I wax only the nose . Bugs just wash right off .
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokill View Post
I have used it before and it's great and looks cool. Check the video and you'll see
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Mead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Why not use the best protector ever ..... a fresh coat of wax . Thats what I do before long trips . I wax only the nose . Bugs just wash right off .
thanks, I already waxed it... I'm primary worried about paint chips. The contact paper is temporary, only for long trips.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
I would be worried that the contact paper itself would damage the paint... kinda like putting bumper stickers on the paint. I wouldn't do it!

When I go down to FL (lovebug capital of the world) I just use the windshield washing fluid/water at the gas stations to clean the bugs off the front of the car before they become one with the paint.
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
thomasward00

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My Black LeBra front end bra is on its way for me, the bugs are too bad in SE louisiana in the summer.
thomasward00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
Mead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
My Black LeBra front end bra is on its way for me, the bugs are too bad in SE louisiana in the summer.

Hey make sure to post pics, I like to see how the bra interfaces with the short hood.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokill View Post
I would use this spray instead of contact paper! YamilR already said it's exclellent.

This stuff is probably just like the stuff factories use when transporting new cars.

I am starting to look for this stuff to buy right now.

BTW - My daughter put a nice 6" scratch on my Yaris with her bicycle handlebars yesterday. I thought I was going to be sick!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
flint_mica_manual

Drives: S Sedan
I wouldn't use contact-paper. Vinyl comes in different grades -- if it's not rated for UV it will deteriorate rapidly. I've seen it fade in colored vinyls on a buddies car -- a mistake of the installer not using the right stuff. Clear would prolly yellow quickly and god knows what the sun would do to the glue. I'd stick with the wax idea. Personally I'm not a fan of any bra. They fade paint, trap moisture, and rub oddly in places where it's attached. But, what the hell.
flint_mica_manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
thomasward00.....they make the LaBra for the YARIS already?? They didn't have any for our application YARIS when I contacted them back in Feb.. Yeh, show a photo/s so we can see what it looks like on our YARIS.
thnx.,
sambo42xa
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #14
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
YES, LeBra does have them now for the YARIS. I just checked. Thnx thomasward00 for the update!
They have them for about $93.00.
No photo/s though on how it looks.
www.LeBra.com

sambo42xa
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Mead

update - I contact papered the hood, the whole bumper, and the area behind the headlamps on the top surface. Put it on Thurs night and left it on for 4 days. Drove it thru a thunderstorm and sat under 82 degree sun light.

I don't know if it worked, my headlamp lens and wind shield has no chips so I don't know what my hood went thru, but after taking off the contact paper, the hood is still in mint condition, no glue residue, not a speck of dirt

The contact paper held thru wet weather, 95 mph blasts, sunlight.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
What brand did you use? How hard was it to take off? Wish you had taken pictures with the contact paper applied; how did it look? Just curious. I'm taking a trip to Florida (from Pittsburgh) and would love a bit of extra protection, but I'd be worried sick that the paint would come off with the contact paper.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #17
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Just got back from a 1,200 mile weekend.....enough bugs that the windshield didn't have more than a span of 1" clean area (bumper the same)....took a little scrubbing but the wax and rain-x protected everything (just like they're supposed to)---no nicks!! To each their own....but I prefer my women au-natural!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Mead

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
What brand did you use? How hard was it to take off? Wish you had taken pictures with the contact paper applied; how did it look? Just curious. I'm taking a trip to Florida (from Pittsburgh) and would love a bit of extra protection, but I'd be worried sick that the paint would come off with the contact paper.

I wanted to take pics but it was raining pretty hard and I really really wanted to remove the paper... I do have eariler pics, will scan later.

it peels off easily because it's stretchy, the paper comes 24' x 18" , I sliced up strips to better conform to the compound shape

How did it looked? like Jason from Friday the thirteen Anyhow I got the contact paper from Walmart (kitchen section) I used about half a roll so it's like $3 total.