Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Yaris' Auto-X #1 RIVAL???

I'd like to know this since I'm buying a Yar for Auto-X"ing" and like to know which cars are its rivals and if possible what is the worse car I want to see at the Yaris' class when I'm auto crossing?

Is the EG6 in that list and AE92 on that list?

Thanks peeps!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
forpinks

C'mon any tips on which car I should be aware of when Auto crossing?

Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
What class?

In HS, Mini Cooper totally destroys the class. Although if you ever run across a stock Lotus Cortina, it would kill everything in HS too.

In STS, EF Civic Si is the fastest car. Since the class started in 01, 10 out of the 12 national champs have been 88-89 hatches.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
forpinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
What class?

In HS, Mini Cooper totally destroys the class. Although if you ever run across a stock Lotus Cortina, it would kill everything in HS too.

In STS, EF Civic Si is the fastest car. Since the class started in 01, 10 out of the 12 national champs have been 88-89 hatches.
The class that a base Yaris with a few handling mods and 4pt harnesses... (I'm getting a Yaris to train in Auto-X.

Is the Mini Cooper and Miata better in handling than the Yaris?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
Yes. Keep in mind the yaris is still, all in all, designed as an econ car. The miata would dominate it.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Doesn't Miata belong in different class? The SCCA has a lot of info on their website but I am too lazy to look up I think unmodifed goes in CS or ES depending on year. In my area several guys run modifieds in CSP or STS2.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
WRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Doesn't Miata belong in different class? The SCCA has a lot of info on their website but I am too lazy to look up I think unmodifed goes in CS or ES depending on year. In my area several guys run modifieds in CSP or STS2.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes ;)
1.8L Miatas rule CS
1.6L Miatas have their hands full with MR2s in ES. My old 280ZX was in E Stock too.
Locally, the CSP Miatas are almost the FTD cars. Well they are the FTD CARS ;) Thoes F125 karts beat them though.
2 out of the 3 STS2 national Champs have been Miatas.

A Yaris doesn't compete directly with a Miata in any class unless they go crazy and you go crazy and meet in A, D, or E Mod. In A mod, any car based vehicle will get destroyed. In D mod, EVERY champion since 1984 has been Lotus based (7, Elan, or Europa).

Basically, because the Yaris is classed in H Stock, the SCCA believes every car in Super Stock, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G stock will be faster.

But saying that, any car can be competitive in its class locally. IMHO the Yaris should be a good autox car because of the tiny wheelbase. The COG hurts it though. Like any car, if your new to autox its a good learning tool.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
forpinks

What mods should I stay away from if I don't want to see "Yaris Eaters" at the Auto-X lot?

Also, I have a friend with an EG6 (JDM-R w/ built internals, light suspension mods and 60shot ZEX) and he keeps on telling me that an EG6 will take over the Auto-X track over any car in its class? Is this true or is he just being Ricer? (He doesn't auto x BTW.)

Old 06-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
gosh, if you want to learn auto-x, buy a used miata or even a celica and go beat it up. You'll spend less than you would on a new Yaris with mods, and I believe a Miata with suspension work would teach you more about racing. Just my opinion.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
WRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by forpinks View Post
What mods should I stay away from if I don't want to see "Yaris Eaters" at the Auto-X lot?
You can never get away from them. But these would be my mods:

R-Compounds on stock size wheels (any different size wheels will re-class you)
TRD shocks and springs. Or Eibach Pro-kit on TRD struts.
Bigger front sway bar once someone releases one (A rear sway will re-class you though)

With practice, that should make a Yaris very competative in H Stock.

Quote:
Also, I have a friend with an EG6 (JDM-R w/ built internals, light suspension mods and 60shot ZEX) and he keeps on telling me that an EG6 will take over the Auto-X track over any car in its class? Is this true or is he just being Ricer? (He doesn't auto x BTW.)
The only class that the Civic dominates is STS and then the EG is too heavy. His particular car is only legal in SM or a Mod class, if he takes out the N2O, and will get destroyed easily.

That said, 95% of autoX is the driver
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
gosh, if you want to learn auto-x, buy a used miata or even a celica and go beat it up. You'll spend less than you would on a new Yaris with mods, and I believe a Miata with suspension work would teach you more about racing. Just my opinion.
I agree with this above post, driving a RWD car made for a little bit of abuse will teach you more about driving than a FWD car made with taking you to the grocery store and work and back. The Yaris isn't meant for this kind of thing and probably can never seriously compete without serious modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
That said, 95% of autoX is the driver
While that is true, I'll bet money you could put Michael Schumacher in a stock Yaris and he'd still get demolished by a teenager driving a stock Mini Cooper as long as said teen didn't crash or go off the track. No matter how much one may want to escape the fact, the Yaris is slow and is not made for racing by any means.

I suggest a cheap, light RWD car with a manual transmission and no ABS for learning how to drive properly on the track, the Yaris is the wrong car for the job.
1995 Chevrolet k1500 extended cab
Blown 396 smallblock 797hp @6500RPM
looks stock, but burns riced-out imports daily.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
kurokoma-kun

As the owner of 94 Miata, I would agree that anyone wanting to improve driving skills would benefit from driving one. However, as Yaris owner, I'd like to suggest that the jury is still out in how it will perform in autocross; until then, why not give it a try and see how you do?

Here's a little encouragement: the results of Deland Autocross back in March. As you can see, Yaris came out pretty well (a class of 4 cars would be about average in my area too).

Besides, isn't beating your own best time the real challenge in autocross?

Last edited by kurokoma-kun; 11-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
The Yaris is excellent at Autox . I got 2 wins in HS . I got a 6th and 7th OVERALL out of 150 or so cars . All 5 and 6 drivers that bested my time were national champs . One of the national champs wants to drive my car b/c he said my car is definately National Champ material . We think we can get FTD .

I went to the Dragon again this past weekend . There was a guy in a Turbo charged (300bhp) Volvo S70 up there . He wanted to run against me . So we went . I was up front . Going into and exiting turns I would walk him , but turbo would help him run me down . Then I let him up front . He NEVER got more than 5 cars in front . In the turns I would be right back on his ass . I would actually have to slow down when I caught him . We all know how the Yaris accelerates The Volvo owner was shocked when I told him I only had 103 hp . The Volvo owner has this battle on video . I don't know if he will release the vid b/c I was definately holding my own , with only 103 hp . Next time , I will bring my dry tires
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
I got a 6th and 7th OVERALL out of 150 or so cars
whoo doggies!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
WRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I agree with this above post, driving a RWD car made for a little bit of abuse will teach you more about driving than a FWD car made with taking you to the grocery store and work and back. The Yaris isn't meant for this kind of thing and probably can never seriously compete without serious modifications.
Anything can be competaive locally. The MOST important part is that the car is well sorted. Something that you know is the case with a brand new Yaris. Something that is probally not the case with a 15 year old Miata. The biggest thing to learn from is seat time. It doesn't matter much what the car was built for, seat time is what really matters in learning.

Quote:
While that is true, I'll bet money you could put Michael Schumacher in a stock Yaris and he'd still get demolished by a teenager driving a stock Mini Cooper as long as said teen didn't crash or go off the track. No matter how much one may want to escape the fact, the Yaris is slow and is not made for racing by any means.
I might have been a little generous with the 95% driver. It could be 90% driver, 8% tires, 1 % car and 1% luck. Schumacher would be a bad choice. Now if you picked a FWD national champ, put them in a Yaris, they would beat a teen (thats not a FJB/FJA national champ) by 10+ seconds over a 40 second course. By the last comment, I can guess you've never been to an autox where a good driver was driving a normal car. 2 weekends ago at an SFR event, I watched a guy in a Kia Rio Wagon beat me in my DS WRX, a number of ST* cars, a number of SM cars, and a number of Super Stock (and A, B, C, etc)

Quote:
I suggest a cheap, light RWD car with a manual transmission and no ABS for learning how to drive properly on the track, the Yaris is the wrong car for the job.
We're not talking track, we're talking autox which is a totally different beast all together.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #16
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I run my car in STS and have a friendly rivalry with some of the other drivers in my class. I don't really have any competition with the G and H stock class and I out ran the 911, Audi TT and Subaru Impreza wagon. My competition I find in STS are the Civics and the Acura's. It also depends on the track layout so I prefer the track layout that is tight. I run with 215 x 45 x 16 in tires on Falken 615's which I use as a track tire only. My street rubbers are 17 inchers.

With the big brake kit, I'll be in STX according to CACC rules (Canada, but they're all the same, pretty much). Believe it or not there's alot less competition there! I have a 07 GTI to worry about there and he's got HP to go.

It does come down to the driver. Driving fast is one thing but knowing when to brake, when to turn and how to take your line are all important factors.

You won't beat a Miata or Lotus that's for sure.

Just don't brake while your are turning and learn to adjust your tire pressures to balance out your car and you won't really need to worry about all those addons like roll bars. R comps are nice too or just a set of Falken 615's.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/Dragon-t77836.html
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
good comments, and I do look forward to seeing what the Yaris can do on the track. I was at a Time Attack event and the Kaminari Yaris did ok. As noted, fast in the turns, slow on the straights -- nothing a little boost can't fix.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote