Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2022, 04:51 AM   #1
dennis

Drives: '06 Toyota Yaris 1.3
OEM-Type 2din Multimedia Screen. Worth it?

Dear all,

I am seriously thinking to upgrade the radio unit on my new '06 Yaris Hatch because I want to be able to listen playlists from Spotify during commute or long trips.

I found out there are plenty 2din options from respected manufacturers such as Kenwood, Alpine etc. However, in order for them to fit, the frame of the radio unit needs to be replaced with a plastic that it is plain on the sides where the original buttons and knobs are.

I stumbled upon the below 2din OEM-Type Multimedia screen which seems like how it was supposed to be made by Toyota. But, I hesitate because this particular one and many similar units are imported in my country unbranded from China, thus I do not know if they are worth buying at the price of e.g. a Pioneer 2din unit.

Does anyone here have experience with similar OEM-Type units? Do they last? Are they worth it?

Thank you very much in advance!

https://ibb.co/QrmsSTb

(Edit: Cant seem to find how to attach an image, so I just put the link. Sorry!)
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
i think your slightly uninformed on how it fits

on a 06-08 hatch a standard double fits right in with nothing more than toyota "wings" https://www.amazon.com/ASC-Double-St.../dp/B0721PSW23
i got mine for half that price a month ago, they bolt on in a sandwich with the OE metal tabs to fill the side gaps around the unit..
i can grab a shot of mine installed if you want

as for that unknown unit, ive been digging for some time now looking for units that are a "full" fit and or add those external controls like that, even "android" units
overall what ive come to the conclusion is that "most" but not all are either tempermental disasters, weird "os" thats non US making its limited in function, the BIG issue seems to be that "if" you find something you like, with no major pitfalls or failures is that the "output" power is so low that youll need a dedicated amp attached to the head unit, and thats assuming the output on said unknown unit actualy outputs in a reasonable quality as ive read alot of reviews of them kicking out crackly over gained garbage

so basicly....ive figured that at this time most of the stuff out there not made by a "known" name will at bare minimum need a 4chanel amp of good quality, and thats assuming the head unit is "ok

personaly if you want to go on the cheep....ive in recent years come to LOVE the "dual"(again as i loved their amps back in the mid 90s) brand head units, the OS is reasonable, they are dirt cheep and they are actualy good and solid units, i cant legitimately fault them in any way...alot of guys will pissnmoan about it being a parts store and walmart brand but honestly, ive had one of their doubles in my wet and abused explorer for many years now and it hasnt given me a lick of trouble, lots of ROUGH offroad, lots of trailer use and alot of miles, ive put one in 4 different friends cars and havnt heard a peep from them other than amazement of the units for being soo cheep but being sooooo good
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
i think your slightly uninformed on how it fits
Be aware of regional differences and careful of what you advise. European spec had head units with the controls positioned in the side wings, physically changing the trim piece from what we are equipped with.