Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
sojioguns

Drives: Yaris sedan
How do you monitor engine/water temperature?

It's so funny that nobody has mentioned this before. I was wondering how to monitor the temperature of the engine as the Yaris sedan doesnt have a guage. I am in Africa and it gets pretty HOT!!!.
sojioguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
You can get one of those scangauge II devices, or you can get aftermarket gauges and sensors that attach directly to your water and oil lines...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojioguns View Post
It's so funny that nobody has mentioned this before. I was wondering how to monitor the temperature of the engine as the Yaris sedan doesnt have a guage. I am in Africa and it gets pretty HOT!!!.
I don't understand why Toyota did not put a temperature guage.

If the car has a guage at least you can see when it's about to over heat so you can pull over and turn off the car to cool it down. On the yaris there is a small light to tell you it's over heating, when it lights up it's too late.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
there is a warning light that will come up if you overheat, but no actual gauge per se...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I think there is a thread somewhere (interior mods?) that has links to the a-pillar guage kits that are for sale on Ebay. That's the way I'm going when I get the cash..
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
TOOL
I <3 Cars!

Drives: Honda Fit S
I know on my Echo theres a little light that comes on when the cars cold, and a light that comes on when its hot. They were in the guage cluster very small but helpful, i would be suprised if they took that out for the yaris.
TOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
I really don't think it is necessary in the majority of passenger vehicles. Cooling systems and antifreeze technology is rather advanced as too what was common even 15 years ago. When is the last time you observed a well maintained, late model passenger vehicle overheating? On the other hand my pickup truck was used for pulling & hauling heavy loads and it was nice to have the gauge.

BTW, what is the average summer temperature in your country?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
sojioguns

We have just rainy season and dry season (no 4 seasons) but lows are like 32degress C and highs are like 35-36 degrees C.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
blacksan

Quote:
We have just rainy season and dry season (no 4 seasons) but lows are like 32degress C and highs are like 35-36 degrees C.
There are many places in the US with summer temperatures like that and I am not aware of US market vehicles having different cooling systems then other parts of the globe, but it is possible. Are you having trouble with your yaris?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
sojioguns

No problems yet. I am just being paranoid.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
blacksan

Quote:
No problems yet. I am just being paranoid.
I wouldn't worry about it unless the indicator light is on, or the fan is running non stop. What kind of driving conditions are normal for you?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
sojioguns

My driving conditions are quite harsh cos I do a lot of commuting but within the city. And i tend to ignore stuff, like checking the coolant levels. I had temperature issues with my 00 mitsubishi galant.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
You can get one of those scangauge II devices, or you can get aftermarket gauges and sensors that attach directly to your water and oil lines...
This is the most efficient solution.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote