Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
Question ICE Navigation Wire Question?

I'm installing a navigation setup and I need to know where the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire is. This wire tells the navigation how fast I'm going.

I looked at several wiring diagrams, but couldn't find it. It was described as a violet/white wire, but I could not find such a wire where it said to look. Does anyone know for sure where this cable is on the INSIDE of the car?
I'd rather not have to go around to the ECU, which is under the hood.

Thanks!
Any help is appreciated. I've seen a ton of ICE/Navigation threads so I'm really hoping someone knows where this wire is.

Bonus Question: Where can I tap the Reverse wire, so I don't have to run a line all the way to the reverse lights in the back so the navigation knows when I'm going backwards.

PS: the car is a 2007 sedan.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
duck

anyone? i've been trying to get an answer to this question for months... I know most of you pay to get your ICE installed but i'm really hoping someone has the answer...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I actually would like someone to answer this as well. I am going to be receiving a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in the mail in a couple of days and would like to hook it up to the VSS wire.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...;20Control.pdf
starting on page 6 is your ECM pinouts
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...;20Control.pdf
starting on page 6 is your ECM pinouts
thanks, but this doesn't really help. I had this diagram the last time I tried to install the headunit.

Page 6 just tells me that the car HAS a speed sensor. I'm kind of trying to locate it.

Pages 31-35 have the pinouts but when I looked at these a few months ago, I didn't see violet/white wires in that location.

Regardless, as it's been months and I'd really like this installed today, I'll disconnect the ECU and give it a good look tonight for a violet/purple wire. It's too bad there are THREE violet/white wires, and all connect to E1-C20-104 and I don't have an oscilliscope.

I really didnt want to have to go all the way to the ECU under the hood and was hoping to grab something under the dash, but oh well... I guess I'll never find that information on the internet.

Since I'm in NYC, I'll have to call ahead to the garage, then pick up the car, then find a place to park but it probably won't be legal (hence why I was hoping I didn't have to touch the ECU), then try to work as quickly as possible without breaking the headunit again

I'll probably end up having this fail, driving 3 hours out of manhattan, paying a shop to do it, and having no information for the community.

Also, between the 2 diagrams there is no mention of the reverse wire, so I guess the only place to tap that is in the trunk.

Last edited by duck; 09-21-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to 91drggndime
for the d3 you wont need to hook up the reverse why.. i dont do anything half assed, but i just installed a d3 in a friends 01 audi and couldnt find it at all without running the wires to the reverse lights... what it does is allow the navy to pinpoint you in reverse.. its something we agreed wasnt a big thing sicne it will pick you right up when you put it in drive or 1st gear and start driving..

you might feel the same way.

as for the vehicle speed sensor.. sorry, i cant help you, we havent done one in our yaris yet.

2007 Pacific Blue Yaris Sedan - wifes kid carrier and daily
1999.5 Brilliant Black Audi A4 - boosted 16 psi, supporting mods, s4 interior, you know, shit you cant get in the yaris.
91drggndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
duck

after my last post, i went out the next morning and did the install. it was a little bumpy and time consuming but it's all in now.

doing the VSS wire was not too difficult, but i wanted to make sure i did it cleanly so it took me a couple of minutes to get the ECU hookup completely disassembled.

i ran a wire to the reverse light but i gave up on trying to connect it since i've never seen a taillight like the yaris and i had no idea where to hook it up. Also, I knew I didn't care about GPS in reverse and most likely wouldn't be installing a backup camera.

the hardest part was troubleshooting because although everything worked when it hanging out of the dash, once i pushed everything in, the speaker connections came loose. About 45 minutes of troubleshooting/rewiring on the side lexington avenue and I was good to go.

I made the wiring harness the night before so the hookup took me about 2 hours plus an hour or two for cleanup and troubleshooting. i had installed this same system in my subaru impreza in under 2 hours. Working on the side of the road in manhattan isn't so easy. I had to jump up and pretend to feed the meter every time a cop drove/walked by.
oh well, I'm just so glad it's done.

I'd gladly offer any tips to anyone who PMs me about any in-dash Navigation install but you are better off getting it professionally installed.

Some general tips:
I used a Metra Toyota wiring harness. Do NOT buy this from circuit city; it will cost you $20 and the connector will not fit leaving you to just cut it off and splice anyway. Just pay the $8 for the regular version at autozone or a similar store. When I called Metra about it they said Circuit City has a special 2-part edition that requires you to also buy a radio-brand-specific smart harness, which they often forget to sell you or don't sell you as not all radios work with it anyway.

I also bought the dash kit with the 2 side pieces because the dash opening is wider than the navigation headunit. It cheapens the look, especially for $20 or whatever it cost, but it does the job.

If you're looking for instruction, the shop manual will tell you to tap wire 8 I believe for the VSS/SPD on the ECU, Metra has an online manual for both the dash trim pieces and the wiring harness. Your headunit's manual should have a wiring diagram that will most likely match dead on color-for-color with the Metra wiring harness.

The best way I found to get the VSS/SPD wire from the ECU (under the hood) to the headunit is by poking a hole with a knife through the steering wheel column rubber boot at the base, then feed a coat hanger through it. Tie/tape VSS/SPD wire to coat hanger. Pull coat hanger back inside the car.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
Oh man seeing this old thread reminded me.
There was a great thread that actually had a picture of the VSS wire, with someone pointing to it, and it saved me a ton of time when installing my gps. The pics might be lost with the crash so if I get a chance to take my dash apart if I decide to get Sat radio, Ill photograph the exact location of the wire again.
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
vss wire in car purple fuse box, top, 36 pin plug, pin 26
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shijima View Post
Oh man seeing this old thread reminded me.
There was a great thread that actually had a picture of the VSS wire, with someone pointing to it, and it saved me a ton of time when installing my gps. The pics might be lost with the crash so if I get a chance to take my dash apart if I decide to get Sat radio, Ill photograph the exact location of the wire again.
BAM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yarisvssfuse.jpg (138.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
duck

anyone know where the reverse wire is in/near the trunk? ... for a backup cam.
I know I have to run a video wire to the front anyway for the screen, but it would still be easier to tap into a taillight.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
u should be able to find it right at the tail light harness. pull the light off use a multimeter and test the wires and tap it in.

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote